Welcome to the APBWeb.
    Pudge is offline Site Admin
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator

Sovereign citizens- deadly threats

Written by Mark Nichols
    If you look up the definition of "terrorist" the dictionary says a terrorist is . . . "a radical who employs terror as a political weapon; usually organizes with other terrorists in small cells; often uses religion as a cover for terrorist activities." That describes Jerry Kane perfectly. If you haven't heard of Jerry Kane, he's a cop killing so-called "sovereign citizen." Kane and his 16-year-old son gunned down two West Memphis cops last spring. On May 20, Jerry Kane, an Ohio man who called himself a sovereign citizen, and his 16-year-old son, Joe, were stopped by Sgt. Brandon Paudert and officer Bill Evans on Interstate 40 in West Memphis.
    The teenager fired an AK-47 rifle and killed both lawmen. Two other officers were wounded later before the Kanes were killed by police. It's never easy for an agency that loses one of their own. For the West Memphis P.D. and Chief Bob Paudert, the senseless murder of two cops, including Paudert's son Brandon was a horror not be wished on the worst of enemies.
    It was also a wake up call for law enforcement about the incredible danger posed by so-called sovereign citizens. "My officers, Bill and my son Brandon, didn't realize that there are people at war with this country that are not international terrorists," Puadert said as he looked into the camera.
    "Maybe if Brandon and Bill had been able to recognize the warning signs of sovereign beliefs they'd be alive today." But Paudert wasn't talking with a news crew in an interview. He was making a video to help other cops learn about the types of people that killed his son in cold blood.
    The 12-minute officer-safety video, produced by the Southern Poverty Law Center, begins with Chief Paudert recounting the day, the bloodiest in Memphis-area law enforcement history. It was sent to 50,000 officers across the U.S. In the video, James Cavanaugh, retired ATF special agent in charge in Nashville, gives officers specific clues to look for that might indicate that someone's involved in the sovereign-citizen movement.
    Things to be on the lookout for include fake license plates that display the names of strange nations or tribes as well as bumper stickers that say, "I am an American National" or "Not Subject to Corporate Federal or Corporate State Jurisdiction."
    Other tell tale signs can be found in behavior. Sovereign citizens may provide officers with fake driver's licenses or Social Security cards and sometimes have strange responses to routine questions. For example, if a police officer asks the person's name, he might say, "I am a free man, traveling upon the land," Cavanaugh says in the video.
    Mark Potok, director of the Intelligence Project at the Southern Poverty Law Center, estimated that 300,000 people are involved in the movement. "We were seeing increasing numbers of encounters between sovereign citizens and law enforcement officials," Potok told reporters from the Commercial Appeal.
    "And the West Memphis case made it perfectly clear just how deadly those encounters could be." A dashboard video clip from the West Memphis incident showed the teen aiming an AK-47 assault rifle. Within seconds, he vanishes from the camera's view. But Vincent Brown, a FedEx driver who witnessed the shooting, told investigators in a statement that the elder Kane pushed Evans into the ditch. Then the teen opened fire.

Later that afternoon, law enforcement officials spotted the Kanes in the West Memphis Walmart parking lot, where father and son engaged police officers in another shootout. Both Kanes died at the scene. Potok said that because sovereign citizens' beliefs revolve around hatred for any governmental authority and that the laws don't apply to them, there's a high potential for conflict between them and officers.
    "I think virtually all of the interest has been in understanding how to avoid potentially deadly confrontations," Potok said. Chief Paudert says it's still hard for him to talk about his son's death. "I'm using this agenda I have to get me through it, to say it's not all for nothing," he said of educating law enforcement officials about the sovereign-citizen movement.
    "There's a reason for this, and it's to save lives. I'm trying to convince myself this is part of the reason this thing happened," Paudert told the Commercial Appeal.

http://apbweb.com/featured-articles/...y-threats.html
    "Like" us on facebook! https://www.facebook.com/pages/Offic...93147194083228

Follow members of O/R as they tweet a "Ride a long" on their shifts on the front page of the site and on twitter at the following links:

www.twitter.com/PoliceRideAlong
    www.twitter.com/lewisipso
    www.twitter.com/ORgopher
    www.twitter.com/SecondChance122
    www.twitter.com/pojmm
    www.twitter.com/ORGIB

The opinions given in my posts & threads DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "Pudge" on Officerresource.com

lewisipso is offline Injustice/Indifference/In God we trust
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    sovereign citizens' beliefs revolve around hatred for any governmental authority and that the laws don't apply to them
    It makes me wonder just what does apply to them then? Here is another example of something that does not need to be taken lightly. Any group that believes themselves above the law will act as such and bring attention to themselves. Once that line is crossed and a cop is killed, no back peddling or condemning statement will change it. They will now and forever have our undivided attention.
    Do not war for peace. If you must war, war for justice. For without justice there is no peace. -me

We are who we choose to be.

R.I.P. Arielle. 08/20/2010-09/16/2012

countybear is offline BDRT - Baby Daddy Removal Team
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    According to Alternet's Justine Sharrock:

While most sovereign citizens fly under the radar and live off the grid, it is inevitable that they have encounters with the law, even with something as simple as a traffic stop. Thatís when the trouble begins. Unlike other groups like militias or the Oath Keepers who have been wrongly deemed anti-government for disputing government policies, sovereign citizens are a self-proclaimed anti-government group and they arenít afraid to fight back if challenged.
    'Screw with Their Faith and They Will Kill You': The Strange, Obsessively Anti-Government Sovereign Citizen Movement Makes a Comeback | Tea Party and the Right | AlterNet

"The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money."
    - Alexis de Tocqueville, Democracy in America

Tell me not, Sweet, I am unkind,
    That from the nunnery
    Of thy chaste breast and quiet mind
    To war and arms I fly.
    - Lovelace

The opinions expressed by this poster are wholly his own, and should never be construed to even remotely be in representation of his employer, its agencies or assigns. In fact, they probably fail to be in alignment with the opinions of any rational human being.

Thread Information