Welcome to the APBWeb.
    srab is offline Officer First Class
    Verified LEO

Record the driver's race...

The article in the latest issue of APB magazine, titled "Record the driver's race but do not ask what it is", is right on and highlights some of the issues with Wisconsin's ridiculous requirement to complete a race information form for every traffic stop and related contact. The issues go deeper then may be stated.

The Democratic Legislature and former Democratic Governor passed the law, requiring data collection either by digital means of a pre-designed software which is already installed, or a hand-completed copy. Supposedly, the reason for the law was the potential for discrimination in use of the mandatory seatbelt law, passed a year earlier by the same Legislature. I am not sure how much actual thinking, research or common sense was used... but it seems the answer is all too abvious. The simple fact of the job is, if you're a busy metro municipality - most of your stops will probably be minorities, but you are also likely to avoid traffic enforcement, to a degree that the backed-up and stancked "hot" calls allow you. If you're a suburb, smaller city, or a rural area - you are still stopping the majority of your own population. So the majority in a city - is a minority, a majority outside, is probably white, or the many variations thereof as the form notes (Hispanic, Middle Eastern, Pacific Islander...) The only differentiating fact is African American. Clear as mud.

Not only is the law inherently and almost purposefully preventative to measure any true misuse of the law or bias in it's enforcement, the law itsef is very much biased and racially discriminatory. What picture exactly is it showing, to whom, and for what reason? The only clear part is the answer - none. No clear or usefull data, and none open to any practical or functional interpretation. This is probably why some of the larger agencies said from the very start, that the useless and wasteful law can be shoved where the sun rays are scarce, and flat out refused to enforce it. Furthermore, the bulk of the data is not focused on the driver, but the passenger(s).

Speaking of wasted resources... The fastest this form can be completed is somewhere in the neighborhood of 3 minutes per form. Let's take a medium size agency of 100. With 1 stop per shift, and 3 shifts, 900 minutes are wasted. Wasted completely with no purpose or refund, requiring cops to focus primarily on the screen, and do nothing but data entry. How much money is down the drain over the course of a month? Or with an active department, or one focused on more highways? Maybe the number crunchers who passed the law should do the math, but they were too busy avoiding their jobs and running from real issues presented by the new Governor. Nor do they care still, as the priorities are clearly and appropriately elsewhere. While rumors of the repeal are circulating, no action has been seen to date.
    "The best tank terrain is that without anti-tank weapons"
    Russian military doctrine

"All right, they're on our left, they're on our right, they're in front of us, they're behind us...they can't get away this time"
    - Lewis B. "Chesty" Puller, USMC

www.gruntsbbq.com

Jenna is offline sheep
    Premium Lifetime Member
    How can an officer even tell what a driver's race is without asking? People often disagree about what race someone is.

Five-0 is offline Super Moderator
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    According to the last census my family and I are Eskimos. You would not know that without asking.

Meanwhile, fishing in Russia:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SkzV5AIK8iM
    "When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men living together in society, they create for themselves in the course of time a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that justifies it." -- Frederic Bastiat

"Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never really care for anything else thereafter." Ernest Hemingway

The opinions given in my signatures & threads DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "Five-0" on Officerresource.com

Jenna is offline sheep
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Five-0 View Post
    According to the last census my family and I are Eskimos. You would not know that without asking.
    Well it's good they asked, then!

APB Guest
    Srab: can I send this over to our editor for consideration for use as a "letter to the editor"?

srab is offline Officer First Class
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by APB View Post
    Srab: can I send this over to our editor for consideration for use as a "letter to the editor"?
    APB, sure. Thanks.
    "The best tank terrain is that without anti-tank weapons"
    Russian military doctrine

"All right, they're on our left, they're on our right, they're in front of us, they're behind us...they can't get away this time"
    - Lewis B. "Chesty" Puller, USMC

www.gruntsbbq.com

213th is offline Solipsist
    Quote Originally Posted by Five-0 View Post
    According to the last census I am other/human
    He who has the money, signs the cheques.
    He who signs the cheques, makes the rules.
    He who makes the rules, has the power.
    He who has the power, has the money.

Motorwaycop is offline Retired Plod
    Supporting Member Lvl 2
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    We have to fil in a "self defined" ethnic background and an "officer defined" ethnic background on our forms.
    Our "customers" are also asked to self define ethnicity when taken to a cell block.
    I've taken to putting "declined" for everyone.
    I've often found people to be quite offended when asked. T
    There isn't a box for what most people say when asked to define their ethnic backgound, simply "British".
    the sole advantage of power is that you can do more good.
    ( Baltasar Gracian )

Thread Information