Written by Major John Ruckauf
I am the Operations Officer for a battalion stationed in Kandahar Province, the heartland of the Taliban resistance. We have been fighting hard to neutralize the insurgency while attempting to connect the people to their government, particularly their security forces. Afghan Police have always been the most corrupt, least equipped and least trained of all the world's security services. This makes the professionalization of these officers one of the toughest challenges that we currently face.
What we have learned is that looking professional and having the right equipment can help reduce corrupt behavior, increase mission accomplishment, instill discipline, and enhance morale.
On February 7, 2011, we were operating in the Kandahar Inland Customs Depot when a suicide bomber attacked and killed several of our colleagues.
Among them was a member of the Border Management Task Force who was a retired US Borders & Customs Officer.
You can learn more about him by accessing the link: Buffalo man killed working in Afghanistan | WIVB.com In an effort to improve our force protection measure, we tried to acquire the equipment through military funds.
According to our regulations we are not allowed to purchase communications equipment using Afghan Security Force Funds.
We have been looking into other funding solutions, but I am afraid we will be caught up in bureaucratic red tape that will impede the delivery of this mission-critical equipment.
We hope you may be able to help us. We are looking for 10-15 used two-way radios similar to Motorola "push to talks," and chargers (dual voltage).
Radio holsters would be beneficial but not necessary.
We are also looking for 15-20 sets of police equipment - utility belts, flashlights and hand-cuffs.
Our goal is to transfer lead responsibility for the security of Afghanistan to their government so our soldiers can eventually return home.
Any assistance will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks for your consideration.
Please email me with questions or more if you need more information.
- Very respectfully, Major John Ruckauf TF CYCLONE, 319th MI BN Operations Officer E-mail: john.ruckauf@us.army.mil This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it

http://www.apbweb.com/featured-artic...officers-.html