Welcome to the APBWeb.
    Pudge is offline Site Admin
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator

More headaches for TSA

Written by Mark Nichols
    There are two standard reactions to videos showing TSA workers' thorough pat-downs of toddlers. The first is "that's a disgrace!" The second is "We must trade liberty, and common sense, for security." Civil rights advocates and others are outraged after a six-year-old girl received an intense patdown while passing through security at New Orleans' Louis Armstrong International Airport recently. Video of the incident shows a female TSA agent explaining the manner in which she will touch the child as she goes through the procedure. The girl's clearly aggravated mother asks, "Can't you just re-scan her?" to which the agent replies "No."
    The agent appears to behave in a gentle and professional manner. No one is suggesting that the screener was in the wrong. She was just doing her job. The TSA said in a statement that she followed proper screening procedures. The statement added that the agency is "exploring additional ways to focus its resources and move beyond a one-size fits all system while maintaining a high level of security" and "has been actively reviewing its screening policies and procedures to streamline and improve the screening experience for low-risk populations, such as younger passengers."
    In other words, everyone's waiting for the first six-year-old female Caucasian attempted crotch bomber before the TSA throws the baby out with the bath water. Others wonder if maybe the girl and her mother could have at least been searched in a secure area.
    "A child who is visibly, audibly complaining, 'I don't want to do this,' should at the very least be given some privacy," Marjorie Esman, executive director of the ACLU Louisiana, told CBS affiliate WWL New Orleans. "A 6-year-old child shouldn't be subjected to this kind of treatment in the first place if there's no reason to suspect her or her parents of being criminals," she said.
    "Privacy experts don't like it at all, the critics call it security theater, but we have to say the screener here appears to be doing her job," CBS News national security correspondent Bob Orr told CBS' "The Early Show" Wednesday. "This patdown happens all the time ... somewhere in America. Whether we like it or not, the truth is it's part of the post-9/11 security."
    Of course whether it makes any sense or is an effective counter-terror technique is a secondary concern.
    "You can't take kids out of the mix, The exemption would point terrorists to a gaping hole in our security," Orr said. "It's not a theoretical threat. Terrorists have proven they can smuggle explosives aboard planes. ... The bottom line is al Qaeda is savvy, study our security system and practices and it's not beyond al Qaeda to use kids."
    Or they could just hit a train instead of a plane.
    That way they wouldn't have to find five and six year-old American field operatives.
    In the case of last week's patdown of a 6-year-old, the TSA maintains children have been used to carry explosives in some places, and that they have to be subject to the same restrictions as adults in order to ensure safety. There was nothing in the way of details as far as the "children used to carry explosives," contention by federal officials.

http://www.apbweb.com/featured-artic...s-for-tsa.html
    "Like" us on facebook! https://www.facebook.com/pages/Offic...93147194083228

Follow members of O/R as they tweet a "Ride a long" on their shifts on the front page of the site and on twitter at the following links:

www.twitter.com/PoliceRideAlong
    www.twitter.com/lewisipso
    www.twitter.com/ORgopher
    www.twitter.com/SecondChance122
    www.twitter.com/pojmm
    www.twitter.com/ORGIB

The opinions given in my posts & threads DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "Pudge" on Officerresource.com

MacLean is offline O/R Gun mod
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    I'll say it again...

I'll remove the arms from someone who touches my children.

If it came to that, we'd leave.
    I'm your huckleberry...

Quemadmoeum gladis nemeinum occidit, occidentus telum est!

You can be the weapon, and the gun in your hand is a tool - or the gun is a weapon and you are the tool.

I was looking for a saint who was a devil of a lover,
    but every girl I found was either one way or the other...

McCrackhd is offline Master Officer
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by MacLean View Post
    I'll say it again...

I'll remove the arms from someone who touches my children.

If it came to that, we'd leave.
    So out of curiosity, what are you gonna say when John Q. Militiaman uses his 5 yr old to smuggle C4 onto a plane and blows a hole in the fuselage, causing the plane to crash? Or to detonate an explosive inside the screening area to protest the government? Muslims are not the only terrorists in this country. Right now, honestly, I'm more worried about the soveriegn citizen movement. Are you gonna be ok with patting down and screening children then? Just cause youre not a terrorist doesn't mean the guy next to you ain't.
    YOUR ATTENTION, DO I F@#%ING HAVE IT?

I swear to Christ, if I survive this I'm gonna dance a jig!

RMFT-Bama fans get it

The views and opinions expressed on this site are not mine. They belong to my alter ego, Mathazar. Therefore, only Mathazar and his two brothers should be held responsible for the crap that is posted on this site under my name.

Odd
    Odd is offline Cosmonaut Trainer
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Quote Originally Posted by McCrackhd View Post
    So out of curiosity, what are you gonna say when John Q. Militiaman uses his 5 yr old to smuggle C4 onto a plane and blows a hole in the fuselage, causing the plane to crash? Or to detonate an explosive inside the screening area to protest the government? Muslims are not the only terrorists in this country. Right now, honestly, I'm more worried about the soveriegn citizen movement. Are you gonna be ok with patting down and screening children then? Just cause youre not a terrorist doesn't mean the guy next to you ain't.
    I'm not ok with it now. I won't be ok with it if that someday argument ever comes to pass.

Bob Loblaw is offline Dwayne Elizondo Mountain Dew Herbert Camacho
    Verified LEO
    this
    Quote Originally Posted by Jenna
    he (Obama) doesn't have a birth certificate because he wasn't born, he was created in a Muslim witch's cauldron!
    Quote Originally Posted by Buttercup View Post
    I must admit, there have been few pieces of meat I've ever jammed into my mouth that have been as satisfying as Bob's.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gecko45 "The Mall Ninja"
    Vietnam still shudders when it hears the name of a an assasin so skillful and deadly, he is remembered decades later
    Reca is the best thing since sliced bread!

McCrackhd is offline Master Officer
    Verified LEO
    Look...I'll be honest. I'm very torn on the subject. On the one hand, you have the problem of terrorists doing whatever they can to get the advantage. On the other, you have people's personal space-especially children. Would you be ok with them going through the full body scanners? That could be a good compromise. Every child would have to go through them, though. Of course, I think everyone should anyway.
    YOUR ATTENTION, DO I F@#%ING HAVE IT?

I swear to Christ, if I survive this I'm gonna dance a jig!

RMFT-Bama fans get it

The views and opinions expressed on this site are not mine. They belong to my alter ego, Mathazar. Therefore, only Mathazar and his two brothers should be held responsible for the crap that is posted on this site under my name.

countybear is offline BDRT - Baby Daddy Removal Team
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    I still for the life of me cannot figure out why TSA hasn't employed more K9's. A well-trained K9 could do the work of 100 full body scanners with regards to accelerants and explosives, and walking a golden retriever down a line of passengers sure as hell beats getting your (or your kid's) junk checked by Gretta Goon.

I guess since K9's negate the millions of dollars (and inevitable kickbacks) flowing from the gubmint into high tech contracts, they aren't considered "feasible."

"The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money."
    - Alexis de Tocqueville, Democracy in America

Tell me not, Sweet, I am unkind,
    That from the nunnery
    Of thy chaste breast and quiet mind
    To war and arms I fly.
    - Lovelace

The opinions expressed by this poster are wholly his own, and should never be construed to even remotely be in representation of his employer, its agencies or assigns. In fact, they probably fail to be in alignment with the opinions of any rational human being.

Five-0 is offline Super Moderator
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Shoe is on the other foot now:

Woman Gropes TSA Agent's Breast at Security Checkpoint

LOLOLOL!!!!

Meanwhile, fishing in Russia:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SkzV5AIK8iM
    "When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men living together in society, they create for themselves in the course of time a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that justifies it." -- Frederic Bastiat

"Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never really care for anything else thereafter." Ernest Hemingway

The opinions given in my signatures & threads DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "Five-0" on Officerresource.com

irishmick is offline Do not mistake my kindness for weakness.
    Verified LEO
    I think you're being overly paranoid. The TSA/government screening procedures are not proactive by any stretch of the imagination. They jump into action in response to something, but never really fully understand the actions their taking (or alternative ways to do things). But, since it's a bureaucracy, I see how that happens.
    --"D.B.A.D." --Me

--Life's tough...it's tougher if you're stupid.

--"Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." -Elbert Hubbard

Thread Information