Welcome to the APBWeb.

View Poll Results: Which group is assaulted by strangers on the street more often--men or women?

Voters
20. You may not vote on this poll
  • men

16 80.00%
  • women

4 20.00%
    Jenna is offline sheep
    Premium Lifetime Member

Are men attacked more often than women are attacked?

Feminists have been debating about whether safety tips (such as "don't walk alone at night") should be targeted equally at both genders rather than just at women. Some claim that men are actually attacked by strangers on the street more often than women. Is this true? In your experience, are most victims of stranger-on-stranger assaults on the street men or women?
    Last edited by Jenna; 11-19-06 at 11:17 PM.

K9ForLife is offline Banned
    Chirp, chirp, chirp..................

Hannibal is offline Zombie Killin' Sheepdog
    Verified LEO
    I've never checked the stats, but it sounds possible.

"Stupid should hurt."

Hannibal is offline Zombie Killin' Sheepdog
    Verified LEO

"Stupid should hurt."

CountyFourteen is offline Sergeant
    Verified LEO
    Assault and battery, men
    sexual assault, women

but I voted men since you just said "attacked".
    Any Post I make is my opinion only!
    I do not have the authority or the permission to post for my Sheriff's Office.

Lo523 is offline Master Officer
    Supporting Member Lvl 1
    Don't know how the statistics read, but based on those I deal with, I'd say men.
    Never approach a bull by the front, a horse from behind, or an idiot from any direction.

Pedro56 is offline Englewood Ranger/Infidel Extraordinaire
    Verified LEO
    Guys.
    http://www.lawenforcementforums.com/forums/signaturepics/sigpic763_2.gif

"I am the guy that keeps Mister Dead in his pocket." -'Mad' Max Rockatansky

"An Englewood Ranger is no stranger to Danger.." -Unk

Good Night Chesty Where Ever You Are.

A Good Friend will bail you out of jail, but a true friend will be sitting next to you in the cell saying, "That was Awesome."

God Made Police Men so Fireman Would Have Heroes.

121Traffic is offline Just Us
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Jenna View Post
    Feminists have been debating about whether safety tips (such as "don't walk alone at night") should be targeted equally at both genders rather than just at women. Some claim that men are actually attacked by strangers on the street more often than women. Is this true? In your experience, are most victims of stranger-on-stranger assaults on the street men or women?

This will probably upset your delicate "feminist" leaning, but the intent of those classes is not statistically-based. Women are taught not to walk alone at night, etc., because of the obvious PHYSICAL disadvantages. Not saying that there aren't any weak-bodied men out there that couldn't fight their way out of a wet paper bag, just saying that, in general, women are the physically more vulnerable sex.
    "If anything worthwhile comes of this tragedy, it should be the realization by every citizen that often the only thing that stands between them and losing everything they hold dear... is the man wearing a badge." -- Ronald Reagan, in the wake of the deaths of 4 CHP troopers in the Newhall Incident, 1970

The opinions given in my posts DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "121Traffic" on O/R.

conalabu is offline Grasshopper
    Verified LEO
    Specify assault type. If we are talking about gang/drugs connection, then men. Sexual and robbery connections, I would say women. Of course, I have totally ignored the link to the First Bunch of Idiots and done that strictly off of gut, but whatever, that's my story, and I am sticking to it.
    And Shepards we shall be,
    for thee, My Lord, for thee,
    Power hath descended forth from Thy hand,
    That our feet may swiftly carry out Thy Command.
    So we shall flow a river forth to Thee
    And teeming with souls will it ever be.
    In Nomine Patris, Et Filli, Et Spiritus Sancti.

Ducky is offline Enforcer General
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Quote Originally Posted by 121Traffic View Post
    This will probably upset your delicate "feminist" leaning, but the intent of those classes is not statistically-based. Women are taught not to walk alone at night, etc., because of the obvious PHYSICAL disadvantages. Not saying that there aren't any weak-bodied men out there that couldn't fight their way out of a wet paper bag, just saying that, in general, women are the physically more vulnerable sex.
    Traffic, there's also the social aspect of this to look at too. Women aren't generally encouraged to be physically confrontational whereas I don't know too many guys who managed to make it to adulthood without at least one fistfight. And until fairly recently, women were told not to resist a physical attack, because "if you resist, you're just going to get beaten worse." It's never occurred to a lot of women that if they resist, there's the potential that they could actually fight somone off.

I'm not a feminist, I just refuse to lay back and take somone kicking my ass without returning as much of it as I can.
    \\
    ` ` ` ` < ` )___/\
    `` ` ` ` (3--(____)
    "...but to forget your duck, of course, means you're really screwed." - Gary Larson
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MtN1YnoL46Q

Julia Guest
    i would say guys,majority of the calls we get is the female wooping up on the male or its just guys fighting each other, but of course we do several 50-b's weekly on spouses

TXCharlie is offline Former & Future Reserve Officer
    Quote Originally Posted by CountyFourteen View Post
    Assault and battery, men
    sexual assault, women
    but I voted men since you just said "attacked".
    Damn, I was hoping men got it more... As long as it was women doing the crime. I know it's politically incorrect to joke about this, but ok.

As far as men getting attacked more, isn't this Criminology 101? - I distinctly remember my professor (a female cop) saying it's because guys are just stupid and like to stir up shit.

She got a big laugh out of that one, then proceeded to tell us about the guys she beat up off-duty because they attacked her at a bar when they thought she was a fat gay guy, since she had short hair, is rather stocky, had a vest on, and was wearing eyeshadow lol
    Last edited by TXCharlie; 11-20-06 at 09:32 PM.

(\__/)
    (='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
    (")_(") signature to help him gain world domination.

Cst.SB is offline Officer First Class
    Quote Originally Posted by TXCharlie View Post
    Damn, I was hoping men got it more... As long as it was women doing the crime. I know it's politically incorrect to joke about this, but ok.

As far as men getting attacked more, isn't this Criminology 101? - I distinctly remember my professor (a female cop) saying it's because guys are just stupid and like to stir up shit.

She got a big laugh out of that one, then proceeded to tell us about the guys she beat up off-duty because they attacked her at a bar when they thought she was a fat gay guy, since she had short hair, is rather stocky, had a vest on, and was wearing eyeshadow lol
    Bingo, well done.

Statistically men age 18-25 are at the greatest risk of being victims of violence. Why, because they tend to put themselves in riskier positions which are most often fueled by alcohol.

Any police officer that has a hotel/bar strip in their town, that there will be fights every weekend (if not every night!) due to deadly mix of ego, mouth, and intoxication.

CT209 is offline Once..... Forever
    Verified LEO
    Yep, when speaking about assaults in general, definitely men.
    "When a crime is committed, liberals blame society. Conservatives blame the criminal." -Debra Saunders

Old Scottish Motto- "nemo me impune laccessit". It still holds true today.

bigD is offline SEMPER FI
    Yeh I beleive that.. You get some drinking and some young people together and they are going to get into it.. but it is usually over a woman.. but that won't change the voting any way.
    IF THE MIND FAILS TO RESPOND THE BODY MUST BE PUNISHED

FIDELIS AD MORTEM

Coloradocop is offline It's the PoPo
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by Jenna View Post
    Interesting question. I will have to agree with 121 on the reasoning behind the idea that women shouldn't walk alone at night in high crime areas (this isn't to sound sexist, because I know some real tough chicks out there... some are officers and some are just tough citizens... but looking only at the average-to-average, women have a significant disadvantage in a confrontation when compared to your average strong-arm robber type).

Still, in thinking about this, I have certainly dealt with more male victims of violent street crime then I have women. This may be partially biased because of the gang affiliations (whether assumed or actual) of the male victims, and may also have to do with the "tough guy" approach most men take when confronted.

In answering your question, I think women are also generally smarter about the situations they walk into, whereas men may be more willing to walk alone into the dark alley in the projects at 3am. So, perhaps the prospect of teaching "street smarts" to men would be a good idea.

On a side note, I responded to a strong-arm robbery call two weeks ago in which a lady had her purse snatched. By the time I arrived on-scene the woman had her purse back, and was holding her two male attackers captive until we arrived (with the help of her 16yr old daughter). This lady literally got in a foot chase with these two guys, and caught them about 7 blocks away from the point of the robbery. She was unarmed, but made up for it in attitude. Personally, I think she needs an application for our department

Dudleydoright is offline Officer First Class

Thumbs up

Jenna,
    Safety rules are safety rules, they work for either sex. Interesting question though.

Colorado Cop sounds like that lady deserves a citizen service citation!

Standard Dave is offline Constable
    Quote Originally Posted by Cst.SB View Post
    Bingo, well done.

Statistically men age 18-25 are at the greatest risk of being victims of violence. Why, because they tend to put themselves in riskier positions which are most often fueled by alcohol.

Any police officer that has a hotel/bar strip in their town, that there will be fights every weekend (if not every night!) due to deadly mix of ego, mouth, and intoxication.
    Agree wholy with this I worked on a City Centre violence and disorder team and almost everyone I dealt with as an offender or injured party was male.

Males seem also to be the victims of more street robbery (mugging) offences perhaps because the safety tips are targeted at females or because most of the victims have done something that has put them in harms way.

Thread Information