Welcome to the APBWeb.
    LAW DOG is offline Law Enforcement, isn't a job it's a brotherhood!!
    Verified LEO

physical fitness

How important do you rate your physical fitness level for your job?
    I run about every other day and I am into powerlifting. I love being a nice size, I feel it helps being big. People tend to think twice before they jump. Do anyone else body build or power lift? Do you think it helps being a big guy?
    S.W.A.T Maximum Violents

Darin is offline I'm sooooo gonna score
    Verified LEO
    I lift weights but have really slacked on my running. I think if an officer projects a neat, professional, in shape appearance that it is a deterrent to someone that may assault a police officer.

TheOldRhino is offline Corporal
    Quote Originally Posted by LAW DOG View Post
    How important do you rate your physical fitness level for your job?
    Fairly important. You don't have win any iron man competitions, but you've got to be able to hold your own in a fight.
    The virtue of spirit has no need for thanks or approval. Only the certain conviction that what has been done is right. -Jor El, as played by Marlon Brando

spcwes is offline Wookie!!!!
    Verified LEO
    Being strong and in good shape is always a great idea. You do not have to be the guy on muscle fitness's front cover but being strong is a great thing!!

Being able to run is also important. I am a big guy but I can still run a good distance and have outran teenagers by the droves running from parties so I still got it. I have caught sometimes 3 or 4 by myself running from the party with head starts. Could I be in better shape, hell yea and will one of these days.

I think in this job it is very important as the better physical shape your in the better you will be able to physically and mentally deal with the stress of this profession.

With a strong looking appearance you can also, as you stated keep someone from jumping that might be thinking about it.

I have people, the frequent customers type, that will be assed out with other officers until I arrive and then they shut up and act like adults.

Spcwes
    STOP RESISTING!!!!

For he is God's servant to do you good, but if you do wrong, be afraid, for he does not bear the sword for nothing. He is God's servant, an agent of wrath to bring punishment on the wrongdoer.

The opinions expressed in this post are mine, and mine alone. They are NOT the opinions of my Agency or my Agency Heads.

LAW DOG is offline Law Enforcement, isn't a job it's a brotherhood!!
    Verified LEO
    spcwes that how I feel too. I love lifting it's a way to relieve stress. I get upset by something, and I hit the gym, I love come out after my workout, I feel 100% better. That the way I deal with the stress, so I don't take it home. I also run but after 6 years active duty in the Marines I can't say it's my favorite thing.
    S.W.A.T Maximum Violents

jcsdscott is offline The short minister
    Verified LEO
    I feel it's very important however it's just been so difficult to keep up with my newborn daughter. I hope to get back into the swing of things this spring.

Star Man is offline Guns only have two enemies; rust and politicians
    Verified LEO
    Physical fitness is important for all the reasons mentioned. I also do some MMA type martial arts training. No Bruce Lee stuff, but a good striking and ground game. Might need it. It also gives me a "survival plan" if I get tangled up with a strong suspect.

Thread Information