Welcome to the APBWeb.

Thread: Keeping Cool

JohnnyLaw76 is offline Rookie

Keeping Cool

I'm not a cop, but I'm interested in becoming one.

One thing I've always wondered is, how do you keep your head in check? By that I mean, when people are confrontational it gets me pretty pissed off and I tend to show it, but when dealing with suspects who are pissing you off you can't just go off on them. So are there mental exercises that help you keep calm or do you just have to learn to take it and eventually you get used to it?

One other question that's completely unrelated:

I read one time that when choosing a sidearm for personal carry (for civilians) that the buyer should consider what kind of sidearm the local police use because they'll be more comfortable if they see you carrying it (I guess because they'll know it's not a piece of crap that might go off unexpectedly). Is there any truth to that or was the article I reading a bunch of BS? I think it was in a gun magazine at a barber shop or something to that effect.
    Last edited by JohnnyLaw76; 11-26-06 at 01:53 AM.

OfficerResource.com is offline Site Administrator
    Verified LEO
    You have to learn to not let little things bother you.

JohnnyLaw76 is offline Rookie
    Well I'm not talking about just trash talking people, I mean like the ones who take swings at police or do other physical things. Do you ever have to just walk away and let another officer handle the arrested person because you're just too worked up?

OfficerResource.com is offline Site Administrator
    Verified LEO
    Nope. I do what is needed to be done and go on about my day. Sometimes You have to get rough in this job but that is ok.

Growler is offline I is not happy
    Verified LEO
    Sometimes you don't have another officer available to take the arrest. One of the main things is to learn to remove yourself. For any job how would it look if every time you got pissed off someone had to come in and finish your work for you. That's an easy way to have the least amount of people work with you.
    As for the artcile or whatever it is: it's bs in my opinion. Just makes a more leary of person that made sure to carry the same firearm officers do.

jcsdscott is offline The short minister
    Verified LEO

Talking Use your head

You have to recognize that when others trash talk or take a swing, their entire agenda is to bring you down to their level. Watch for the signs and do only what is necessary.
    As for the firearm, there's no concealed carry law for civilians here so if I saw you with any sidearm we would have a problem.

Retmilleo909 is offline Banned
    >>I'm not a cop,<<

You could have fooled me, as your username certainly implies that you're one.
    A Cop has to be able take a lot of physical and verbal abuse and allow it to run off, like water off a ducks back.
    I've had drunks to curse, puke and spit on me and have not retaliated. I've had them to make wild swings and kicks but have never used other than what restraint was necessary to make the arrest. However, if a sober and disorderly subject did the same it would be a different story, but still I've never struck a subject except when it was in self defense and absolutely necessary to effect the arrest.
    There's no place in law enforcement for a person who has thin skin, is easily offended and can't control his/her temper.
    As for your question re a civilian carrying a gun. You must have been reading an old western Mag as most states don't allow the average citizen to carry a pistol unless he or she has a special permit from the state in which they reside. And, in my state it's difficult to get such a license.

d_goddard is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by esteda View Post
    most states don't allow the average citizen to carry a pistol unless he or she has a special permit from the state in which they reside.
    Just be careful, as this does vary greatly by state. For example, here's the NH Gun FAQ. The relevant part:
    Quote Originally Posted by NH Gun FAQ
    Q: How do I get a license or a permit to buy a gun?
    A: You donít. New Hampshire doesnít require you to have a license or a permit to buy or own guns
    The NH constitution's 2nd amendment is a thing of beauty:
    Quote Originally Posted by NH Constitution
    All persons have the right to keep and bear arms in defense of themselves, their families, their property and the state.
    As far as exercising restraint, I think it's a shame that you have to. It seems to me that if someone (drunk or not) swings at you, you're perfectly justified in meeting such force with a like amount of force. If your supervisors or a judge punish you for defending yourself against such an assault, that is shameful behavior on their part.

Ducky is offline Enforcer General
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Quote Originally Posted by d_goddard View Post
    As far as exercising restraint, I think it's a shame that you have to. It seems to me that if someone (drunk or not) swings at you, you're perfectly justified in meeting such force with a like amount of force. If your supervisors or a judge punish you for defending yourself against such an assault, that is shameful behavior on their part.
    Bluntly, you're not a cop, you've never known cops, and you don't know what they go through, so hush and learn. And quit answering in Ask-A-Cop. If you want to know WHY they can't, ask.

And no, I'm not a cop either. But I know one hell of a lot of them, and they are some of the most patient people on the planet. Human, yes. But sometimes, having a 'human' moment on the job can cost them their jobs, families, or lives. Remember that next time one is 'infringing' on your rights in order to save your ass. Somehow I doubt your job is as necessary as theirs is.
    \\
    ` ` ` ` < ` )___/\
    `` ` ` ` (3--(____)
    "...but to forget your duck, of course, means you're really screwed." - Gary Larson
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MtN1YnoL46Q

Quote Originally Posted by Ducky View Post
    Remember that next time one is 'infringing' on your rights in order to save your ass.
    My point exactly.
    I have yet, in 37 years of life, had the experience of an LEO saving me from any kind of dangerous situation.

I have had plenty of cases where I was neither endangering nor threatening nor defrauding anyone, and yet had an armed LEO telling me exactly what to do.

I am very typical in this regard.

Coloradocop is offline It's the PoPo
    Verified LEO
    I have had plenty of cases where I was neither endangering nor threatening nor defrauding anyone, and yet had an armed LEO telling me exactly what to do.

Well, sorry, but if you were breaking the law... expect to hear from us. If you were in the middle of a crowd that needed to be controlled before a riot occured, again you might expect to hear from us. And, when the nice officer tells you that a road is closed and that you are going to turn right, not left... just turn right.

Seriously, I'd love to hear how your "rights" have been trampled so badly. You talk as if you'd be better off if there weren't LEO's working in the community you live in, yet society would crumble without the armed officer there in the background as you sleep at night

Quote Originally Posted by Coloradocop View Post
    Well, sorry, but if you were breaking the law... expect to hear from us
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=gaITPIRHJ3c (Amateur Video Warning: loud beep for the first 10 seconds or so; actual video starts at :27)

This woman is a personal friend of mine.
    Her crime was that she was sitting on the porch of a house that had been seized by eminent domain (the city council wanted to build a shopping mall there). She had permission from the rightful property owner to be there. But the city government, via eminent domain, decided the property was theirs to take.

Lauren's intent was to protest such "legalized theft". In doing so, I believe she helped make the issue well known to the voters. It was situations like this that prompted New Hampshire (and several other states) to pass constitutional amendments prohibiting such use of eminent domain.

She did not resist arrest.
    She has been consistent in exercising her right to remain silent.
    She has been incarcerated for 65 days.
    The judge has not yet set a date for her trial.

It is situations like this that make it very hard for some of us to deal politely with LE.

Here's a lovely one.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=p53ky3RIjfU

I know most cops are not like this.
    But do you understand that situations like this happen all the time?

Ducky is offline Enforcer General
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    My point exactly.
    I have yet, in 37 years of life, had the experience of an LEO saving me from any kind of dangerous situation.
    I will tell you this ONCE. The only reason you never had a LEO saving you was because it was ALREADY TAKEN CARE OF.

Funny, in my thirty something years on this rock, my experience with them they've been smiling and very helpful. Oh, yeah, I'm pretty damn typical in this regard, too.

You are on a forum FOR COPS, BY COPS. If you can't respect that, get the hell out. If you feel they're so unnecessary, then leave us the hell alone. Trust me. We don't need you here. If you're only here to talk trash, under whatever veil of civility you pretend to put over it, then you're nothing more than a common troll. How pathetic.
    \\
    ` ` ` ` < ` )___/\
    `` ` ` ` (3--(____)
    "...but to forget your duck, of course, means you're really screwed." - Gary Larson
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MtN1YnoL46Q

BEB
    BEB is offline Banned
    d_goddard - I know you respect property rights and the rules people set for their property, including internet forums. Ducky's right, this is the "Ask-A-Cop" section. You're not asking, you're proselytizing.

Verified LEO
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=gaITPIRHJ3c (Amateur Video Warning: loud beep for the first 10 seconds or so; actual video starts at :27)

This woman is a personal friend of mine.
    Her crime was that she was sitting on the porch of a house that had been seized by eminent domain (the city council wanted to build a shopping mall there). She had permission from the rightful property owner to be there. But the city government, via eminent domain, decided the property was theirs to take.

Lauren's intent was to protest such "legalized theft". In doing so, I believe she helped make the issue well known to the voters. It was situations like this that prompted New Hampshire (and several other states) to pass constitutional amendments prohibiting such use of eminent domain.

She did not resist arrest.
    She has been consistent in exercising her right to remain silent.
    She has been incarcerated for 65 days.
    The judge has not yet set a date for her trial.

It is situations like this that make it very hard for some of us to deal politely with LE.
    Okay, first remember that you are on a Law Enforcement web site. I just watched your video that you linked to in this post. Those officers handled the situation very professionally, and I agree that your friend did not ACTIVELY resist (passive resistance, yes). They didn't use any force beyond what was necessary to perform the duties that they are required to. Like it or not, your friend was trespassing, and she knew she was. Understand that I'm not trying to say that I support eminent domain being used to assist private companies... I have my problems with the way it is being used in a lot of situations, just like you. BUT, we are expected to enforce laws without bias or prejudice. Your friend "asked" to be arrested, and she was. She was not abused, and she is not a victim. She knew when she sat on that porch that she was facing arrest, and I guarantee the officers told her she had the choice to leave or go to jail when they first contacted her on the porch.

You say that it is hard to be polite and deal with LEO's... You pass the blame to us for a law we didn't write, and don't have a choice about enforcing (I'm not going to lose my job -- my livelihood -- so that your friend can prove a point by breaking the law). You and your friends knew what was going to happen in that situation, and even had a camera rolling. You guys pressed the issue to make a peaceable, albeit illegal, political point (a sit-in). And, your friend faced the consequences. I'm sure that the officers would have been thrilled if she left when they requested it, and I doubt they would have even written her a ticket (I probably wouldn't have from what I saw). But, again, she pressed the issue. She tied our hands as officers, and forced us to act.

Not to sound like a broken record here, but: IF YOU DON'T LIKE THE LAW YOU ARE TALKING TO THE WRONG PEOPLE!!! WE DIDN'T WRITE THE LAW!!!

Now don't start some shit about the civil rights movement in support of sit-ins. I'm not saying that the technique hasn't been effective in swaying public opinion in the past (and it very well may be in this situation as well), but itt isn't our choice to decide. In fact, to effectively portray the government as a "big bad heartless machine" your friend was probably better off being arrested anyway... looks much better on the camera.

Laws aren't written, and policy isn't debated, on the streets of this country... Corrupt police departments evolve in regions of this world where the police get to dictate policy based on their "feelings" about a law or situation. The balances in government that allow us to function with relative freedom (compared to the rest of the world) in this country necessitate that laws are decided in governmental meetings, not in an alley with a crackhead at 3am.

Oh, and I don't know why your friend is still in jail... But a simple trespass arrest usually takes about $100 to bond out on around here... Did she piss a judge off when she went to court? Is she not working with the system? Is she refusing to post bond because she considers herself a political prisoner? She isn't in jail because she has to be at this point (unless you left a BIG part out of this story).

Seriously, stop bitching about how we are trampling your rights. God knows I support the officers for doing their jobs in that situation, even if I don't support the law behind it. You guys talked about the line where an officer should "disobey an unethical order" on the radio show tonight. This, my friend, doesn't even come close. Go ahead with your favorite Nazi analogy now, this is usually the point in the conversation where it comes up. But, all the same, this isn't even in the same chapter of history as throwing someone in an oven for their religious beliefs.

As for your other post with the guy wanting to complain at the police department... I can't speak on it with only half of the story. What was the guy charged with? Did the officers write new charges, or arrest him on an outstanding warrant? You talk of this like it is the norm... though I still suspect there is more to the story (like a LONG history of unfounded complaints at this department by that citizen). But, I know that if you walk into my station and ask to file a complaint you will be given a Sgt to talk to. There is no form for the citizen, and the Sgt. completes the paperwork. Otherwise, any citizen can call internal affairs and file a formal complaint through our department that way... And I've never seen a legitmate complaint refused.

Verified LEO
    Here's a lovely one.

I know most cops are not like this.
    But do you understand that situations like this happen all the time?

Actually, no... I am a cop, and I do this job daily, and I've never seen that happen in the way your totally biased source portrays the situation (at least not the way the video shows it). Again, there's always more to the story, and I'd like to hear the other half of it.

I was a citizen for 25 years before I became a cop. Gee, I guess I was just lucky that I never suffered through the endless "police brutality" that you and your crowd seem to be stuck with everyday.

Star Man is offline Guns only have two enemies; rust and politicians
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyLaw76 View Post
    I'm not a cop, but I'm interested in becoming one.

One thing I've always wondered is, how do you keep your head in check? By that I mean, when people are confrontational it gets me pretty pissed off and I tend to show it, but when dealing with suspects who are pissing you off you can't just go off on them. So are there mental exercises that help you keep calm or do you just have to learn to take it and eventually you get used to it?
    Because we follow the law. Force is met with force (to the same lavel to stop the threat to us or innocent civilians around us). Verbal tyrades do nothing other than to allow the person to vent. If that in and of itself is not a crime (like to incite a riot or disorderly conduct) then feel free to do so. "Sticks and stones" etc...... If the decision is made to arrest then we do so.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyLaw76
    One other question that's completely unrelated:

I read one time that when choosing a sidearm for personal carry (for civilians) that the buyer should consider what kind of sidearm the local police use because they'll be more comfortable if they see you carrying it (I guess because they'll know it's not a piece of crap that might go off unexpectedly). Is there any truth to that or was the article I reading a bunch of BS? I think it was in a gun magazine at a barber shop or something to that effect.

I believe in the right to carry. I think it helps keep the criminals in check a little to know citizens can defend themselves if needed. BUT, I'm not comfortable seeing any gun when it's held by someone I don't know, especially when I'm on the job. I's just something that's in my head every day because I want to be as prepared as possible. If you have a legal permit to carry it then tell the officer up front immediately so they know it's there and don't see it as a threat. JUST PLEASE DONT REACH FOR IT TO SHOW THE OFFICER. Tell them VERBALLY, then follow their directions for everyones comfort and awareness that no one wants to get hurt with it.

On a side note- If you are carrying a Desert Eagle or a "Dirty Harry" 44 magnum with a 6 inch barrel we may think it's a little wierd, but as long as it's legal then your ok.

Star Man is offline Guns only have two enemies; rust and politicians
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by Coloradocop View Post
    Okay, first remember that you are on a Law Enforcement web site. I just watched your video that you linked to in this post. Those officers handled the situation very professionally, and I agree that your friend did not ACTIVELY resist (passive resistance, yes). They didn't use any force beyond what was necessary to perform the duties that they are required to. Like it or not, your friend was trespassing, and she knew she was. Understand that I'm not trying to say that I support eminent domain being used to assist private companies... I have my problems with the way it is being used in a lot of situations, just like you. BUT, we are expected to enforce laws without bias or prejudice. Your friend "asked" to be arrested, and she was. She was not abused, and she is not a victim. She knew when she sat on that porch that she was facing arrest, and I guarantee the officers told her she had the choice to leave or go to jail when they first contacted her on the porch.

You say that it is hard to be polite and deal with LEO's... You pass the blame to us for a law we didn't write, and don't have a choice about enforcing (I'm not going to lose my job -- my livelihood -- so that your friend can prove a point by breaking the law). You and your friends knew what was going to happen in that situation, and even had a camera rolling. You guys pressed the issue to make a peaceable, albeit illegal, political point (a sit-in). And, your friend faced the consequences. I'm sure that the officers would have been thrilled if she left when they requested it, and I doubt they would have even written her a ticket (I probably wouldn't have from what I saw). But, again, she pressed the issue. She tied our hands as officers, and forced us to act.

Not to sound like a broken record here, but: IF YOU DON'T LIKE THE LAW YOU ARE TALKING TO THE WRONG PEOPLE!!! WE DIDN'T WRITE THE LAW!!!

Now don't start some shit about the civil rights movement in support of sit-ins. I'm not saying that the technique hasn't been effective in swaying public opinion in the past (and it very well may be in this situation as well), but itt isn't our choice to decide. In fact, to effectively portray the government as a "big bad heartless machine" your friend was probably better off being arrested anyway... looks much better on the camera.

Laws aren't written, and policy isn't debated, on the streets of this country... Corrupt police departments evolve in regions of this world where the police get to dictate policy based on their "feelings" about a law or situation. The balances in government that allow us to function with relative freedom (compared to the rest of the world) in this country necessitate that laws are decided in governmental meetings, not in an alley with a crackhead at 3am.

Oh, and I don't know why your friend is still in jail... But a simple trespass arrest usually takes about $100 to bond out on around here... Did she piss a judge off when she went to court? Is she not working with the system? Is she refusing to post bond because she considers herself a political prisoner? She isn't in jail because she has to be at this point (unless you left a BIG part out of this story).

Seriously, stop bitching about how we are trampling your rights. God knows I support the officers for doing their jobs in that situation, even if I don't support the law behind it. You guys talked about the line where an officer should "disobey an unethical order" on the radio show tonight. This, my friend, doesn't even come close. Go ahead with your favorite Nazi analogy now, this is usually the point in the conversation where it comes up. But, all the same, this isn't even in the same chapter of history as throwing someone in an oven for their religious beliefs.

As for your other post with the guy wanting to complain at the police department... I can't speak on it with only half of the story. What was the guy charged with? Did the officers write new charges, or arrest him on an outstanding warrant? You talk of this like it is the norm... though I still suspect there is more to the story (like a LONG history of unfounded complaints at this department by that citizen). But, I know that if you walk into my station and ask to file a complaint you will be given a Sgt to talk to. There is no form for the citizen, and the Sgt. completes the paperwork. Otherwise, any citizen can call internal affairs and file a formal complaint through our department that way... And I've never seen a legitmate complaint refused.
    VERY WELL SAID! +1 here!

Thread Information