Welcome to the APBWeb.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    SnakeEyes20 is offline Rookie
    so they would disqualify me even tho its not a dishonorable discharge? i dint do anything wrong, i just changed my mind about enlisting at the time

any answers?

tapout is offline keepin it gangsta'
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by Terminator View Post
    They're not going to disqualify you based on the fact that you have bad luck with woman, or because you might be gay. Neither makes you a bad person, or a poor police candidate.
    thats funny...thats exactly the first thought that came to my mind when i read the original post.

term...master of the subtle backhanded compliment
    in the warriors code there's no surrender, though his body says stop, his spirit cries...NEVER. deep in our souls, a quiet ember, knows its you against you, its the paradox that drives us all. its a battle of wills, in the heat of attack, its the passion that kills, and victory is yours alone.

the posts and opinions stated by me do not in any way reflect the values, beliefs, or views of my department. they are simply opinions and/or observations which have been developed through my personal experiences. hell, most of the stories probably arent even true...wink wink

Jackalope is offline Yell O
    Quote Originally Posted by SnakeEyes20 View Post
    any answers?
    You made a commitment and didn't follow through. Just because the military allows it doesn't make it right to change your mind after you've signed your name.

See if you can enlist again and serve your full commitment. That will undo what you have done (or in this case, didn't do).
    "I'm not a coward,
    I've just never been tested
    I'd like to think that if I was,
    I would pass"
    ~Mighty Mighty Bosstones~

Jks9199 is offline The Reason People Hate Cops & Causer of War
    Verified LEO
    so they would disqualify me even tho its not a dishonorable discharge? i dint do anything wrong, i just changed my mind about enlisting at the time
    Yes.

Life ain't fair. You made a commitment and swore an oath to uphold that commitment once, then didn't follow through. You find it a shock that somebody just might be leery of letting you swear another oath now?

I'd say that your best bet would be to have a better answer than "I changed my mind" which ends up coming across an awful lot like "the mean drill sergeants were yelling at me and making me do stuff and it wasn't fun & games like in Stripes " At the very least, you're going to need to be able to explain why you couldn't honor your commitment, and why you can be trusted to fulfill one to the police department.

chris2001 is offline Captain
    And when he says your going to need to explain that doesn't mean make up some elaborate story that attempts to explain. Tell the truth and you might be ok. I was never in the Military so I have no idea the in's and out's of the Chapter 11 and so on.

Though I would imagine that they already know about the Chapter 11 and would have DQ'ed you if they thought they needed to already. As the others have said you are probably going to have to explain it but by simply telling the truth you should be ok.

Just remember they have a big machine that says when your lying or not lying .
    Being the best is not what always counts. What counts is always trying your best.

Remember who you are, and where you came from. That way you never get a big head.

May those that lost their lives in 9-11 RIP, for the things you did not many could do. You left so many behind so that you could save so few. For now we stand strong as one, and will not look back till the fight is done. (me)

http://www.danasoft.com/sig/Nowwhat%...5Csuphomey.jpg

The opinions given in my posts DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are MY PERSONAL OPINIONS only.

ive thought about re-enlisting after i finish college, right now im going thru the screening process with the NYPD for the Cadet corps program, the screening is pretty similar to regular PO's but quicker and more streamlined, as to why i could be trusted, i was accepted into the NYPD Auxiliary Police program in 2005, and have been patrolling with my unit since, i was hoping that, that would sort of make up for what happened with my discharge, i guess ill find out when i go take the interview... although even if i were to re-enlist after college, and serve honorably, and get an honorable discharge, wouldnt the 1st one still be on record?

Coloradocop is offline It's the PoPo
    Verified LEO
    hello, i am 21 years old, trying to get hired as a NYPD cadet while im still in college, the hiring process is similar to that of regular PO's, i have gone thru the medical, agility(JST) and written psychological exams, what remains now is the oral psychological interview with a psychiatrist, i was wondering what kind of questions they ask, and if anyone had any advice for me, i hear they ask about ur past relationships as in girlfriends, so far i have had no luck with women, and im afraid if i say i havent had any girlfriends they might think im weird or something and disqualify me, anyone have any advice on how to answer this question and what other kinds of questions them may ask? i appreciate any help provided.
    Don't sweat the small stuff. Everyone always worries about the psych because it is a shrink asking you strange personal questions. Just remember what they are really trying to figure out, and you'll be fine. (hint: They want to know if you're ). Every psych interview is a bit different, but generally they'll want to know about how you handle stress, why you're intersted in law enforcement, and general everyday stuff to kind of learn about your personality. They might ask you about how you handle conflict in your life, and your philosophies on problem solving.

For example, a question about a girlfriend isn't really targeted at finding out whether or not you've been succesful with the ladies. It is more to find out if you say "no, I don't like women, or men... I'd rather sit at home and play grab ass with my dog". Okay, this might be an exageration, but I'm not a shrink and I'm guessing here.

Still, did you really ever worry about getting that written psych question wrong: "Sometimes I feel like doing horrible things that I shouldn't talk about with others" Answer: True or False.

Sometimes I think the psych exam is only effective at weeding out the truly crazy folks

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread Information