Welcome to the APBWeb.
    Kyu
    Kyu is offline Rookie

Applying to become an officer in a few months.

Hello, My name is Justin and I live in NJ.

I will be turning 18 in a few months, and I'm going to appyly to become a Police Officer. I just had a few questions (Mostly technical stuff.)

I have quite a few Police officers in my family already ( My uncle, Three of my cousins, and my aunt. Also, my grandfather was a police officer in Cuba.) I Already know how to start applying and some procedures already, but My main question is this. " In most PD's, Do you purchase your own firearm, if so, do you get a reduced price, (Most of the Handguns I was looking at were $650+) Or can you an your money back via Taxes? Also, If you purchase your own firearm, can you pick a specific model/caliber? I was interested in the Kimber TLE, .45. If your issued a firearm, can you choose the caliber? And lastly, Any advice on what corses I should take in college? I'm looking to get a Bachelor's Degree in Science, but is there any thing else I should pick up? Or does it look good regardless if you have 4 years of College tucked under your belt?"

Thank you for your time,

~Justin H.

BEK
    BEK is offline Lieutenant
    Verified LEO
    Depends on the department size. Smaller dept may or may not have firearms for you to use.
    To answer your question about reduced prices, some like Streichers offer a reduced price to officers and department, Yes if you itemize your taxes all of your gear is deductable including haircuts and cell phones if required by policy. In the smaller depts that I have worked for they let me choose my firearm but they wanted a weapon over a 9mm.
    College courses. It depends what you wanna do with your career. I have a A.A. in Law Enforcement and currently am enrolling and getting a B.S in Law Enforcement Administration. IF you wanna be the chief of some dept you may wanna look that way, if you wanna go fed look at something else. Also Check with your advisor, tell them what you wanna do and they can stear you in the proper direction.

bird1 is offline Corporal
    Verified LEO
    as far as firearms goes it depends on the dept. on which guns they authorize to use. in my department i had to purchase my own and yes u get some of it back in taxes. in college study what u want as long as u get ure degree. some departments require 2yrs some want 4yrs. there are even some that dont have a college requirement. you should hold off buying a weapon untill later.
    " The hardest thing about disarming an armed suspect is not slipping on your own shit "

Michael P. Gordon E.O.W 08 Aug 2004

The opinions given in my posts DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are MY PERSONAL OPINIONS and I accept sole responsibility as such.

deputysykes is offline Corporal
    Verified LEO
    At my dept I had to buy my own. Caliber and type of weapon, I agree, depends on the dept. My dept, for instance, does not allow a single action such as your Kimber.

Regarding education, my suggestion is to make yourself as valuable as possible. I got a BA in administration of justice. That's all I was interesting in majoring in. However, if i could do it now I would probably have made that minor. Something to think about: how many cops do you know that are good at sign language or know computer programming inside and out? That makes you marketable.

Coloradocop is offline It's the PoPo
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyu View Post
    Hello, My name is Justin and I live in NJ.

I will be turning 18 in a few months, and I'm going to appyly to become a Police Officer. I just had a few questions (Mostly technical stuff.)

I have quite a few Police officers in my family already ( My uncle, Three of my cousins, and my aunt. Also, my grandfather was a police officer in Cuba.) I Already know how to start applying and some procedures already, but My main question is this. " In most PD's, Do you purchase your own firearm, if so, do you get a reduced price, (Most of the Handguns I was looking at were $650+) Or can you an your money back via Taxes? Also, If you purchase your own firearm, can you pick a specific model/caliber? I was interested in the Kimber TLE, .45. If your issued a firearm, can you choose the caliber? And lastly, Any advice on what corses I should take in college? I'm looking to get a Bachelor's Degree in Science, but is there any thing else I should pick up? Or does it look good regardless if you have 4 years of College tucked under your belt?"

Thank you for your time,

~Justin H.
    Justin,

I don't know how it works around there... but you need to be 21yrs old to become an officer in my neck of the woods. Still, to answer your questions for possible future reference:

-Some departments buy you a gun, some don't. With my department, I have to buy my own weapon(s), but I get an equipment allowance yearly. We have a choice of carrying .45ACP, .45GAP, or 9mm service weapons. From there we have the choice of several manufacturers (Glock, Sig, S&W, Springfield, etc.).

-College or military service helps. Really, anything that shows you are doing something with your life helps set you aside from the crowd. Personally, I had a four year degree and corporate world work experience before becoming a cop. The same could be said for many of my academy classmates, and we had an equal (if not greater) number of military folks joining up. Around here it is rare that we hire someone that hasn't done something with their lives in the past (ie: held some type of career, received some higher education, or served in the armed forces). As far as college is concerned, consider studying business or engineering, or something other than CJ... It never hurts to have a backup plan in case your plans for a LE career don't pan out. And, I don't think I was disadvantaged by the fact that my degree wasn't in CJ or the like.

Good luck

Deputy2400 is offline Professional Rights Advisor
    2 words...kara-te!
    If you run from me...you'll just go to jail tired!

Kyu
    Kyu is offline Rookie
    Quote Originally Posted by Coloradocop View Post
    Justin,

I don't know how it works around there... but you need to be 21yrs old to become an officer in my neck of the woods. Still, to answer your questions for possible future reference:

-Some departments buy you a gun, some don't. With my department, I have to buy my own weapon(s), but I get an equipment allowance yearly. We have a choice of carrying .45ACP, .45GAP, or 9mm service weapons. From there we have the choice of several manufacturers (Glock, Sig, S&W, Springfield, etc.).

-College or military service helps. Really, anything that shows you are doing something with your life helps set you aside from the crowd. Personally, I had a four year degree and corporate world work experience before becoming a cop. The same could be said for many of my academy classmates, and we had an equal (if not greater) number of military folks joining up. Around here it is rare that we hire someone that hasn't done something with their lives in the past (ie: held some type of career, received some higher education, or served in the armed forces). As far as college is concerned, consider studying business or engineering, or something other than CJ... It never hurts to have a backup plan in case your plans for a LE career don't pan out. And, I don't think I was disadvantaged by the fact that my degree wasn't in CJ or the like.

Good luck
    Thanks for the responses. Here in NJ you can apply at 18 but theres a 2 year waiting period for various reasons. As for college, I've been recently looking at CJ, and Law Enforcement Administration, aswell as a teaching degree in history. (preferably American History)

Coloradocop is offline It's the PoPo
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyu View Post
    Thanks for the responses. Here in NJ you can apply at 18 but theres a 2 year waiting period for various reasons. As for college, I've been recently looking at CJ, and Law Enforcement Administration, aswell as a teaching degree in history. (preferably American History)
    I may be going against the grain here (and let me clarify that there is certainly nothing wrong with a CJ/LE type degree), but you might consider the teaching degree. Personally, I have a four year degree with a double in Business and Aviation.

I don't think I had any disadvantage compared to the guys that came on at my department with CJ degrees. For one, if you get on with a large department they will put you through their own Academy (you'll learn their way, and they'll be sure to tell you why you don't know sh*t to begin with... even if you are already certified through POST, or whoever handles that stuff in your state).

My main reason for suggesting this is that it never hurts to increase your employability. By having my degree in a different "field", so to speak, I am employable both in LE and in non-LE related fields... Although I was fortunate to get on with a department, and I very much enjoy my job, I'm happy to know that if things ever didn't work out for me, I'd have a back-up plan.

Obviously this is just my $.02 on the subject, and perhaps I feel this way only because I held another career before coming to law enforcement. The other side of the coin on this deal is that you will be studying things you are really interested in if you major in CJ. One other thought if you want to stay close to Law Enforcement types of studies, is to actually study law. I was truly amazed by how many folks are on my department who have gone through law school and passed the bar exam... it's almost a scary thought when you realize that we have lawyers with guns running around here!!!

Just some food for thought. Keep us posted on how things are shaping up!

VirginiaLEO83 is offline Patrol Officer
    Won't hurt to get a degree other then CJ. Many people have gotten the CJ degree, go through the academy, spend a few weeks out on the street and then realize that police work isn't for them. Then you are stuck with a degree for a career field that doesn't interest you.

Something to think about. I've seen it before.
    Laws are partly formed for the sake of good men, in order to instruct them how they may live on friendly terms with one another, and partly for the sake of those who refuse to be instructed, whose spirit cannot be subdued, or softened, or hindered from plunging into evil.
    --Plato

Hannibal is offline Zombie Killin' Sheepdog
    Verified LEO
    I agree that getting a degree in something other than CJ is a good idea. If I had it to do over again I would have gotten my degree in something else maybe with a minor in CJ.

The reason I say that is simple. What happens to me if I get injured or something? I have no intention on working a LE related desk job for the rest of my career. But right now my CJ degree is not very marketable for much else.

Most departments don't care what your degree is in, only that you have one. Like others have mentioned, the department will teach you what you need to know (basics). I would also recommend other activities that would prepare you for a career in LE. Learn some combative arts, i.e Krav Maga, Aikido and, not or, Ju Jitsu. Participate in department ride along programs, and talk to your family members and friends who you mentioned are veteran POs. Their experience is more valuable than any degree.

Above all prepare your mindset for that of being a LEO, knowing the responsibility and risks involved. Also, prepare physically for your career. Start today....

Good luck.

"Stupid should hurt."

Dudleydoright is offline Officer First Class
    Most larger police departments provide your weapon and training. Some who do not purchase a weapon will have orders on what you can carry. Has to do with sharing ammo in an emergency situation.

Yes, a four year degree will help you. It doesn't have to be in CJ. Most any major is relevant to CJ in some way.

Good luck!

Thread Information