Welcome to the APBWeb.
    Abby is offline My mommy says I'm special.

Asthma and Law Enforcement

I'm just curious if there are any officers/deputies around here that either have asthma or know a cop that does. I've had asthma for several years. I've never considered it a "disability" so I figured I could manage it on the job. Its never been that big of an issue until now. Its really effecting my PT (its mainly exercised induced).

While a couple of people have suggested I consider getting a desk job, I WANT TO BE A POLICE OFFICER. (Besides, I am not a quitter).
    I realize, however, that I also need to take safety into account. Not only my safety but the safety of my fellow officers.

So my questions to you is....how has having asthma effecting your job performance? How do you deal with it? Do fellow officers see you differently because of it? If you feel more comfortable PMing me (due to privacy issues) please feel free to do so.

Thank you in advance for your advice/comments.
    Some people dream of success, while other people live to crush those dreams.

Hannibal is offline Zombie Killin' Sheepdog
    Verified LEO
    I don't know the severity of his asthma, but I once worked with a guy who had it. He now works for the airport police and is still doing well. Another guy I worked with has a heart murmur, but is still working and doing fine. I wouldn't hesitate to work with either of these guys, in ANY situation.

I think that a good attitude and a never give up mindset can overcome many medical profiles. Of course, some conditions are worse than others and I certainly don't look down on those who have the desire and drive, give it their best but fall short because of a disability. In fact I would call those people courageous for trying in spite of their challenges.

"Stupid should hurt."

Retmilleo909 is offline Banned
    >>So my questions to you is....how has having asthma effecting your job performance? How do you deal with it? Do fellow officers see you differently because of it? If you feel more comfortable PMing me (due to privacy issues) please feel free to do so.<<

How old are you Abby? The reason I ask is because if you're a young person you'll probably out-grow it.
    I had a severe case of asthma til I was about 14 or 15.
    In fact it was so bad that many nights I sat up all night in a chair, as if I laid down it was impossible to breathe.
    I suffered something terrible, and my coughing and wheezing kept the whole family on edge.
    Suddenly it disappeared and I had no more trouble with it.
    I enlisted and was accepted in the navy when I turned 18 with no problem, then joined the army where I was an MP for 6 years.
    Don't get discouraged, and keep your chin up.
    If you haven't already done so, it would probably be well to consult a pulmonologist, as there are a lot of good medications for treating asthma.
    My prayers are with you, and that you'll quickly outgrow this malady, as I know exactly what you and any person with asthma is going thru.

Abby is offline My mommy says I'm special.
    [QUOTE=esteda;126270 How old are you Abby? Don't get discouraged, and keep your chin up.
    If you haven't already done so, it would probably be well to consult a pulmonologist, as there are a lot of good medications for treating asthma.
    My prayers are with you, and that you'll quickly outgrow this malady, as I know exactly what you and any person with asthma is going thru.[/QUOTE]

Esteda,
    I'm was actually diagnosed with asthma as an adult. (I'm over thirty) I am currently on asthma meds but think I might need some more aggressive treatment.

Thanks for your kind words.
    Some people dream of success, while other people live to crush those dreams.

Retmilleo909 is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Abby View Post
    Esteda,
    I'm was actually diagnosed with asthma as an adult. (I'm over thirty) I am currently on asthma meds but think I might need some more aggressive treatment.

Thanks for your kind words.
    There are many things that will bring on and aggravate an asthma attack. Various tree and grass pollens have a lot to do with asthma, as it does with hayfever.
    Also, dust, (especially household dusts) smoke, frying odors, etc.
    If an asthmatic smokes he should quit, not taper off but quit, cold turkey. Even though I wasn't bothered with asthma I quit smoking when I was in the army, on my 23rd. birthday. I was smoking 3-4 packs of Cigs a day and knew they weren't doing me any good. Also, considering my previous history of asthma and what Hell I went through with it, I decided to quit, and haven't taken another puff since.
    Last of all I'll mention cimate as being a factor. I know no one wants to move, however, a climate change and moving to a drier climate has helped some folks.
    Regardless, my prayers are with you Abby, and that you'll soon be relieved and eventually healed of asthma.

Piggybank Cop is offline Nobody important.
    Well Iím a bit short of breath now and again; could be a bit of asthma;or just that Iím old, fat, ugly, out of shape and senile.

We are the thin blue line
    between you
    and all the money in the world.

And no you can't have any.

Ruh
    Ruh is offline Si vis pacem, para bellum
    For what its worth...

I have asthma and it was a bit of a problem during the first few weeks of the academy. By "bit of a problem" I mean I was almost forced to drop out if I didn't have the problem addressed. I had a few severe asthma attacks from the PT we were doing.

Anyways, I talked to my doctor got a new stronger inhaler and continued to run. The inhaler helped TONS never had a severe problem with breathing after I got my inhaler The other thing that helped was continuing to run and doing PT.

As far as on the job goes, it has never been a problem for me since I've started. I've been in two foot pursuits. My first, and I am not afraid to admit it, the guy got away. But he didn't just get away from me. He outran our whole department, a neighboring department, K9, and helicopter. I later found out he graduated from HS the year before and was the high school's #1 track star.

Also, if you are wondering, I recently turned 22 and I have been an asthmatic my entire life. Mine is also exercise induced.
    Remember those who died, remember those who killed them.

"We few, we happy few, we band of brothers;
    For he to-day that sheds his blood with me
    Shall be my brother." - Henry V

"Crime does pay, in brass and lead."

This is myspace.

conalabu is offline Grasshopper
    Verified LEO
    Last edited by conalabu; 11-30-06 at 01:54 PM.
    And Shepards we shall be,
    for thee, My Lord, for thee,
    Power hath descended forth from Thy hand,
    That our feet may swiftly carry out Thy Command.
    So we shall flow a river forth to Thee
    And teeming with souls will it ever be.
    In Nomine Patris, Et Filli, Et Spiritus Sancti.

Hannibal is offline Zombie Killin' Sheepdog
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by 1sgkelly View Post
    Well Iím a bit short of breath now and again; could be a bit of asthma;or just that Iím old, fat, ugly, out of shape and senile.

No that just means you're a Fed

"Stupid should hurt."

TXCOP is offline Officer First Class
    My asthma is excercise induced as well. That means I can either be a fat ass and sit on the couch or get out and do something. It only affected me in the academy. My PT scores were the most improved in the entire class. I went from about 20 minutes and near death on the two mile run to under 14 minutes and feeling pretty good. I'm a bike officer now.

Of course I went through 4 years in the Army before I found out I had asthma. The only way to fight asthma is to excercise.
    "Somewhere a True Believer is training to kill you.
    He is training with minimum food or water, in austere conditions, day and night.
    The only thing clean on him is his weapon.
    He doesn't worry about what workout to do---his rucksack weighs what it weighs, and he runs until the enemy stops chasing him.
    The True Believer doesn't care "how hard it is"; he knows he either wins or he dies.
    He doesn't go home at 1700; he is home.
    He knows only the Cause.
    Now, who wants to quit?"

"I am only one, but I am one. I can not do everything, but I can do something. And because I can not do everything I will not refuse to do the something that I can do. What I can do I should do. And what I should do, by the Grace of God, I will do."

Edward Everett Hale

Thread Information