Welcome to the APBWeb.
    I_Pack is offline Banned

Question about packing in Colorado.

Hey there,

I work in Aurora, live in Westminster, Aurora is not the greatest and would like to carry my 92FS in my vehicle for self defense. I know that you can carry a loaded pistol legally in your vehicle as long as it is not concealed here in Colorado. I don't have a CCW yet, but would still like to protect myself. My question is, how should I go about storing my weapon, should I keep it on the passenger seat, in the glovebox (sounds like a bad idea to me), in the back (doesn't really do me much good), or should I open carry it? I don't want to get shot by a thug or an LEO (or any legal trouble) so any advice would be very helpful.

Thanks,
    Mike

121Traffic is offline Just Us
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    Actually, the gun does NOT have to be visible in a private automobile. Anyone who may LAWFULLY own a handgun can carry the weapon concealed in the vehicle, so long as the purpose for carrying the gun is legitimate defense (i.e. not with the intent to commit robbery, etc.).

For concealed carry in a vehicle, I would consider rigging up a holster somewhere in the vehicle...under the dash, under your seat, etc. This way, it's not anyplace that you would have to access on a regular basis (i.e. the glove compartment), and the weapon is still secure (as the holster will retain the weapon while the vehicle is in motion). Plus, holsters are designed for ease and speed of deployment. You can't beat a securely mounted holster someplace that you can easily access.

Barring that, your next best bet is to carry it on your person while driving. That's the most ideal as far as security goes, but makes for a hassle of putting the weapon on/taking it off when you get in and out of the car. Add to the mix that someone might see you handling the weapon, and now you have a whole new slew of problems. If you do carry, I've heard the best holsters for vehicle deployment are shoulder rigs, but I have no experience with them.

OR, since CO is (THANK GOD) a shall-issue state, you could just pony up the $150 bucks or so and get a CCW! Then you could just strap it on in the morning and not think about it again...unless of course you have to use it!
    "If anything worthwhile comes of this tragedy, it should be the realization by every citizen that often the only thing that stands between them and losing everything they hold dear... is the man wearing a badge." -- Ronald Reagan, in the wake of the deaths of 4 CHP troopers in the Newhall Incident, 1970

The opinions given in my posts DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "121Traffic" on O/R.

Coloradocop is offline It's the PoPo
    Verified LEO
    Hi there...

Colorado allows citizens to concealed carry within a private vehicle for the purposes of legally defending themselves (the idea behind this is essentially that the vehicle is considered an extension of one's home). You are not required to have a CCW permit while the gun is in the vehicle (though I would suggest steering clear of school parking lots with it these days ). Also, same standards apply as always: If you aren't allowed to own a gun, you still can't have one in your car (because of age, felony convictions, etc).

As far as where/how to carry in your car, this is largely up to personal preference in my mind. One BIG suggestion: do not carry the gun in any place where you might have to reach during a traffic stop... I'm a cop and I won't even do that, despite the fact that the gun and the badge are together. A cop stopping you on traffic has no idea who you are (a wanted felon?) and why you would be reaching towards the gun (to shoot us?), and the potential for this action to be misinterpreted is always there (say you were really going for your insurance, which was in the glove box under the gun... odds are we didn't know that).

I personally have taken people out of cars at gun point in that exact situation: I pulled a guy over for running a red light. I asked for his license/registration/insurance. He never mentioned that he had a gun in the car, and told me his insurance was in the glove box. He then opens the glove box, reaches in and grabs his pistol (mindless mistake on his part he later admitted). He was legally allowed to own the gun, and wasn't a criminal, he just wasn't very smart.

A recommendation: Get a CCW permit. It never hurts to have one, and opens up the possibility of wearing the gun on your person (that way you aren't leaving a loaded gun in a car that can be broken into). Also, if you are stopped on traffic, try to get your license out of your wallet before you are approached (so you don't need to put your hands out of view while stopped). Keep your hands on the steering wheel, and when you are contacted by the officer inform them that you do have a weapon in the vehicle (this is optional, but a good idea in my mind). You may want to take a long hard look at your car as well... I wouldn't recommend keeping the weapon in a place where it is partially visible and within reach on a traffic stop (ie: tucked next to you on the driver's seat). You are probably better off with it concealed or out of your immediate reach... this gives you chance to inform the officer of the situation before we start to think you are possibly reaching for a gun on us --- we are cops, and we have to be cautious on traffic stops. I've had guys intentionally reach for guns on me three times in the last year (all gang bangers who couldn't legally have the guns... and fortunately I resolved all three of these situations without being in a shooting - but it was damn close on two out of three of those... a story for another time).

Anyway, if you have any other questions let us know.

Verified LEO
    Ahh... 121, you beat me to the punch... I thought I'd finally get the first reply in, but you typed faster

Verified LEO
    I-Pack, in case you are interested, here is a partial exerpt of the exact verbage of the law concerning concealed carry in Colorado:

18-12-204. Permit contents - validity - carrying requirements.
    Statute text

(1) (a) Each permit shall bear a color photograph of the permittee and shall display the signature of the sheriff who issues the permit. In addition, the sheriffs of this state shall ensure that all permits issued pursuant to this part 2 contain the same items of information and are the same size and the same color.

(b) A permit is valid for a period of five years after the date of issuance and may be renewed as provided in section 18-12-211. A permit issued pursuant to this part 2, including a temporary emergency permit issued pursuant to section 18-12-209, is effective in all areas of the state, except as otherwise provided in section 18-12-214.

(2) (a) A permittee, in compliance with the terms of a permit, may carry a concealed handgun as allowed by state law. The permittee shall carry the permit, together with valid photo identification, at all times during which the permittee is in actual possession of a concealed handgun and shall produce both documents upon demand by a law enforcement officer. Failure to produce a permit upon demand by a law enforcement officer raises a rebuttable presumption that the person does not have a permit. Failure to carry and produce a permit and valid photo identification upon demand as required in this subsection (2) is a class 1 petty offense. A charge of failure to carry and produce a permit and valid photo identification upon demand pursuant to this subsection (2) shall be dismissed by the court if, at or before the permittee's scheduled court appearance, the permittee exhibits to the court a valid permit and valid photo identification, both of which were issued to the permittee prior to the date on which the permittee was charged with failure to carry and produce a permit and valid photo identification upon demand.

(b) The provisions of paragraph (a) of this subsection (2) apply to temporary emergency permits issued pursuant to section 18-12-209.

(3) (a) A person who may lawfully possess a handgun may carry a handgun under the following circumstances without obtaining a permit and the handgun shall not be considered concealed:

(I) The handgun is in the possession of a person who is in a private automobile or in some other private means of conveyance and who carries the handgun for a legal use, including self-defense; or

(II) The handgun is in the possession of a person who is legally engaged in hunting activities within the state.

(b) The provisions of this subsection (3) shall not be construed to authorize the carrying of a handgun in violation of the provisions of section 18-12-105 or 18-12-105.5.

Pay particular attention to the section I highlighted in bold, this directly concerns your question.

I_Pack is offline Banned
    Great, thank you both for the excellent advice, it has been a huge help, seeing as I was entirely misinformed . I'll eventually get a CCW, considering that even my grandmother has one and I still don't.

Thread Information