Welcome to the APBWeb.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Coloradocop is offline It's the PoPo
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by BugEyedBeast View Post
    My main hesitation with a firearm is just that - hesitation. It's hard to envision realistic scenarios. It's easy to be talking about guns and say "yeah, I'd plug that SOB" but not having been there I'm not sure if would fire until it's too late. Swinging a club at someone is something anyone with cousins has done so it's then not a question of when, but how hard.

--BEB
    You mention a very valid point in here. You should never bring a gun to a fight unless you KNOW that you are ready/willing/able to use it, if that use becomes necessary.

Hesitation with a weapon in a time of peril is a great way to have that weapon taken and used against you by your attacker. A large part of overcoming this hesitation comes from training with the weapon... You get used to using it to the point that its functioning occurs out of muscle memory, rather than concious thought (this is not to imply that actually shooting it is a subconcious decision, but that you are totally comfortable with how to shoot it, rather than fumbling to load the weapon and cycle the action, etc.).

Visualization of scenarios involving its use can be helpful as well (just thinking through "if/then" kind of stuff... knowing when you are willing to shoot, and why. If you've already been through the fight in your mind, you'll be better able to accept the reality of the situation, should those unfortunate circumstances ever occur.).

Fortunately, in my experience, most burglars are not actually armed with guns. That's not at all to say that this is the case for all burglars, but it is true for at least a majority around here.

As you can tell, I'm a strong advocate of having a firearm for home defense. Still, consider professional training before taking this step... It will boost your confidence, and ability, to use a weapon if it should ever become necessary.

Still, acting like a crazy guy, and running at your attacker with a baseball bat, is bound to have some effect on his decision making process.

armygrnt502 is offline Making my streets safer, one day at a time
    Verified LEO
    LOL, if it doesnt change his mind, at least you can get some Babe Ruth swings in...I hear doing that really improves your golf swing.
    "Sometimes people need a little help. Sometimes people need to be forgiven. And sometimes they need to go to jail."

TXCOP is offline Officer First Class
    Kimber is now impoerting a device called the Guardian Angel. It's a two shot OC launcher. It fires 6 ml of OC at 90 mph with a range of 13 feet. Got one for my wife to keep in her purse. I'd get her a gun for concealed carry but I know she won't practice. Incidentally there is another version of the oc launcher that has a 21 foot range and fires the oc at 270 mph. It's pricier than a shotgun, but you asked for non lethal. For batting parctice, check out http://www.coldsteel.com/92bs.html.
    "Somewhere a True Believer is training to kill you.
    He is training with minimum food or water, in austere conditions, day and night.
    The only thing clean on him is his weapon.
    He doesn't worry about what workout to do---his rucksack weighs what it weighs, and he runs until the enemy stops chasing him.
    The True Believer doesn't care "how hard it is"; he knows he either wins or he dies.
    He doesn't go home at 1700; he is home.
    He knows only the Cause.
    Now, who wants to quit?"

"I am only one, but I am one. I can not do everything, but I can do something. And because I can not do everything I will not refuse to do the something that I can do. What I can do I should do. And what I should do, by the Grace of God, I will do."

Edward Everett Hale

BEB
    BEB is offline Banned
    http://defendingwomen.com/index.php?...roducts_id=270

That's the device?

The "defendingwomen.com" url is pushing me toward the shotgun more than ever.

I don't see that device working for me.

--BEB
    Last edited by BEB; 12-10-06 at 09:10 AM.

TXCOP is offline Officer First Class
    That's it. Of course I didn't get it there. Local cop shop had one.
    "Somewhere a True Believer is training to kill you.
    He is training with minimum food or water, in austere conditions, day and night.
    The only thing clean on him is his weapon.
    He doesn't worry about what workout to do---his rucksack weighs what it weighs, and he runs until the enemy stops chasing him.
    The True Believer doesn't care "how hard it is"; he knows he either wins or he dies.
    He doesn't go home at 1700; he is home.
    He knows only the Cause.
    Now, who wants to quit?"

"I am only one, but I am one. I can not do everything, but I can do something. And because I can not do everything I will not refuse to do the something that I can do. What I can do I should do. And what I should do, by the Grace of God, I will do."

Edward Everett Hale

Coloradocop is offline It's the PoPo
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by TXCOP View Post
    Kimber is now impoerting a device called the Guardian Angel. It's a two shot OC launcher. It fires 6 ml of OC at 90 mph with a range of 13 feet. Got one for my wife to keep in her purse. I'd get her a gun for concealed carry but I know she won't practice. Incidentally there is another version of the oc launcher that has a 21 foot range and fires the oc at 270 mph. It's pricier than a shotgun, but you asked for non lethal. For batting parctice, check out http://www.coldsteel.com/92bs.html.
    That's kind of interesting, I just checked it out, and the version that is shaped like a gun. I think this is a bit of a knock off of the pepperball guns we use with our department.

spcwes is offline Wookie!!!!
    Verified LEO
    A dog is statistically one of the best deterrents for home invaders known to man. What is better? Two dogs, which is what I have and what you will deal with prior to being shot until you stop moving.

If you get a gun make sure you train with it and a shotgun is by far not always the best tool for HD. It can be hard to handle. If you have to leave the bedroom and go through the house it can be a handful if you do not have a lot of room.
    Last edited by spcwes; 12-13-06 at 06:41 AM.
    STOP RESISTING!!!!

For he is God's servant to do you good, but if you do wrong, be afraid, for he does not bear the sword for nothing. He is God's servant, an agent of wrath to bring punishment on the wrongdoer.

The opinions expressed in this post are mine, and mine alone. They are NOT the opinions of my Agency or my Agency Heads.

Andrewtx is offline A little bit of soul
    Quote Originally Posted by spcwes View Post
    A dog is statistically one of the best deterrents for home invaders known to man. What is better? Two dogs, which is what I have and what you will deal with prior to being shot until you stop moving.

When I was little some real bad guys set up to break into our house. They opened up one of the utility boxes on the back of the house, which wasn't locked, and snipped the phone wires. One way or another the police identfied who was responsible, and at least one had quite the violent record. Our tiny little dog had barked her head off that night. Now we know why.

Can't be sure that she scared them off alone, but it certainly couldn't have hurt. They're not called man's best friend without good reason!

Detective7653 is offline Police Detective
    Watch the movie Death Wish 3, Some home security measures in there you could use.
    Greater love has no one than this, that he lay down his life for his friend. John 15:13

Piggybank Cop is offline Nobody important.

If you get a gun make sure you train with it and a shotgun is by far not always the best tool for HD. It can be hard to handle. If you have to leave the bedroom and go through the house it can be a handful if you do not have a lot of room.
    Another option:

http://www.serbu.com/top/superShorty.php

We are the thin blue line
    between you
    and all the money in the world.

And no you can't have any.

spcwes is offline Wookie!!!!
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by 1sgkelly View Post
    Attached to the attack dogs back with laser and flashlight? Man, why didn't I think of that? I knew we had you fed's around for a reason!!!

STOP RESISTING!!!!

For he is God's servant to do you good, but if you do wrong, be afraid, for he does not bear the sword for nothing. He is God's servant, an agent of wrath to bring punishment on the wrongdoer.

The opinions expressed in this post are mine, and mine alone. They are NOT the opinions of my Agency or my Agency Heads.

Hannibal is offline Zombie Killin' Sheepdog
    Verified LEO
    I too recommend a shotty and some proper training, but to simply answer your question, use one of these:

Dial 9-1-1.

"Stupid should hurt."

Piggybank Cop is offline Nobody important.
    Attached to the attack dogs back with laser and flashlight? Man, why didn't I think of that? I knew we had you fed's around for a reason!!!

Only Fed dogs are smart enough to handle this; don't try this at you local precinct kiddies.

We are the thin blue line
    between you
    and all the money in the world.

And no you can't have any.

joexbody is offline CDC wannabe

And if I may weigh in also;
    A 12 gauge SG MAY kick a bit for a timid female user. no offense gals.
    Also, I prefer my handgun in a HD situation because it is more accurate. On the downside of that though, you have over penetration IF you miss. Which if you live in a place like I live, as long as it's not shooting out the front, you'll be ok because the bullet will strike the concrete divinding walls between houses.
    The shotgun also makes a good melee weapon though. Which, could be used against you if takin FROM you.
    Again I like the pistol for HD because in the dark, around corners you can keep it close to your body and still use it effectively.

As mentioned before, it is best to prepare yourself mentally and imagine instances of intrusion/violence forced upon you and visualize how you would respond. Condition yourself to the fact that you REFUSE to be a victim and it WILL be them rather than YOU.

But I am a security freak and do perimeter checks every night.

CHEERS
    RELAX, don't get excited

\../,

tapout is offline keepin it gangsta'
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by joexbody View Post

But I am a security freak and do perimeter checks every night.

CHEERS

back when i was a c/o i knew a guy that used to do that...he would put on body armor and patrol his perimeter with a shotgun and a flashlight or a lantern or some shit like that. he would clip his badge to his belt and just roam his property. every night he did this. i thought he was going a little too far, but to each their own.

back on topic

personally, i would never suggest purchasing a firearm of any kind to an individual who is apprehensive about owning one. they are not for everyone. but its your choice. if you make the purchase, be sure you invest the time to learn how to use it and handle it properly.

how about getting some outdoor motion sensor lights, upgrading your locks, and possibly investing in an alarm system. a big dog helps, but if youre not a dog person, youre screwed. plus owning a dog is a serious commitment, and can be very tiresome and time consuming. you have to feed them and walk them and train them etc...if youre not ready for that, youll regret the choice of purchasing a dog.

maybe some self defense/martial arts classes. theyll teach you how to defend yourself and its also a good way to stay in shape.

by the way hardnosebull, your great danes are beautiful. i used to have a fawn one with a black mask, but she got bloat and died last year. she was only 4, and she was my baby. oh well, i still have my chocolate lab.
    in the warriors code there's no surrender, though his body says stop, his spirit cries...NEVER. deep in our souls, a quiet ember, knows its you against you, its the paradox that drives us all. its a battle of wills, in the heat of attack, its the passion that kills, and victory is yours alone.

the posts and opinions stated by me do not in any way reflect the values, beliefs, or views of my department. they are simply opinions and/or observations which have been developed through my personal experiences. hell, most of the stories probably arent even true...wink wink

joexbody is offline CDC wannabe
    back when i was a c/o i knew a guy that used to do that...he would put on body armor and patrol his perimeter with a shotgun and a flashlight or a lantern or some shit like that. he would clip his badge to his belt and just roam his property. every night he did this. i thought he was going a little too far, but to each their own.
    Well I don't take it THAT far. lol
    I just mean I do a walk about the house, making sure all the shades are drawn and doors/windows locked.
    Actually my GF is the one that coined the term "perimeter check".

moving on
    RELAX, don't get excited

\../,

Ducky is offline Enforcer General
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    At one time I thought I'd heard of a device that was hooked up to a motion censor and would set off a recording of something like a rottwieler and a doberman barking. It may or may not be a deterrent, but if someone gets on your porch, you'll know it.
    \\
    ` ` ` ` < ` )___/\
    `` ` ` ` (3--(____)
    "...but to forget your duck, of course, means you're really screwed." - Gary Larson
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MtN1YnoL46Q

Sleuth is offline SS/A (Ret.)
    I am going to suggest something legal in all 50 states: Legal in a Federal Park; I daresay even legal in the UK!

A dry charge fire extinguisher!

Of course, I have one near the front door in case of fire. But, in a moment of panic, I may just spray it in the bad guy's face. Works faster than OC, no worries about back spray, not lethal, raises no questions from visitors.

You can even carry one in your car - no permits required.
    Just get a good one with a metal valve, not a Wally World el cheepo. I prefer the 5 pound size, just in case there are two bad guys.

But I live in the Free State of Arizona, way out in the country. Come to my door at night, and you may get to see the front end of a SIG220 in .45 !
    Survival is the only Victory!

BEB
    BEB is offline Banned
    Effective, dual use and cheap. Outstanding idea!

Lizzy is offline Rookie
    Great alarm system with a panic button. Mace/Pepper spray with a golf club back up. Finally a big dog ....great company and will defend you to the death.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information