Welcome to the APBWeb.
    jmoney3457 is offline Banned

Question national DL database

just have quick question all..do police (local,county,state) have access to like a "National driver license date base"..like I live in maine so if i got pulled over in say FL..could the florida cop pull up my maine drivers license/driving record?

TheOldRhino is offline Corporal
    Yes. It's called NCIC- National Crimes and Information Computer.
    The virtue of spirit has no need for thanks or approval. Only the certain conviction that what has been done is right. -Jor El, as played by Marlon Brando

Quote Originally Posted by Rhino View Post
    Yes. It's called NCIC- National Crimes and Information Computer.
    oh ok..isn't that same database also used for warrants and such?

121Traffic is offline Just Us
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    Rhino was close enough, but it's actually the National Crime Information Center. While it does have a database component, it's also a network of each state's Crime Information Center...ours is CCIC or Colorado CIC here. When we make a query, we are actually using our state's portal to NCIC (i.e. CCIC for me) in order to access the other state's DMV files. There is no central database of every state's records. That doesn't, however, make much of a functional difference. I type everything into one place, selectthe state, and the computer knows how to go about accessing other state's records.

Yes,NCIC is the same system also used for warrants, Attempts to Locate, stolen article entry, etc.
    "If anything worthwhile comes of this tragedy, it should be the realization by every citizen that often the only thing that stands between them and losing everything they hold dear... is the man wearing a badge." -- Ronald Reagan, in the wake of the deaths of 4 CHP troopers in the Newhall Incident, 1970

The opinions given in my posts DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "121Traffic" on O/R.

Iron Man is offline Don't Tase me bro!
    Quote Originally Posted by 121Traffic View Post
    Rhino was close enough, but it's actually the National Crime Information Center. While it does have a database component, it's also a network of each state's Crime Information Center...ours is CCIC or Colorado CIC here. When we make a query, we are actually using our state's portal to NCIC (i.e. CCIC for me) in order to access the other state's DMV files. There is no central database of every state's records. That doesn't, however, make much of a functional difference. I type everything into one place, selectthe state, and the computer knows how to go about accessing other state's records.

Yes,NCIC is the same system also used for warrants, Attempts to Locate, stolen article entry, etc.

Yep.

In DC, we use WALES: Washington Area Law Enforcement System. In Maryland they use MILES :Maryland Interagency Law Enforcement System. Virginia uses VCIN,Virginia Criminal Information Network.

thank you all for the info..much appreciated, now I understand..each state has there own state database which in return can link to the national database, if need be, for info on out-of-state queries..ie warrants, DMV, stolen vehicles etc..but I also have question/statement bout this whole thing..can you imagine how they did it back in "The day" before all this technology came out? like in the 50-late 70's how did police have access to out of the state records even as simple as DMV?

like when they got pulled over before today's technology came out, how'd the LEO get the needed info that's so easily accessible today? esp. out of state info

mavriktu is offline Patrol Sgt.
    Verified LEO
    He didn't.PERIOD.That is how the Clyde Barrows,etc.were abel to stay out so long.All they had then were wanted bulletins,such as you see in the post office today.

Quote below.(OOPS)

like when they got pulled over before today's technology came out, how'd the LEO get the needed info that's so easily accessible today? esp. out of state info

Quote Originally Posted by mavriktu View Post
    He didn't.PERIOD.That is how the Clyde Barrows,etc.were abel to stay out so long.All they had then were wanted bulletins,such as you see in the post office today.

Quote below.(OOPS)

i'm sorry I didn't mean to upset you mavriktu *gulp*

chris2001 is offline Captain
    Quote Originally Posted by jmoney3457 View Post
    You didn't upset him at all. He is correct though. During those times they just did not have the networking capabilities that we do now days.
    Being the best is not what always counts. What counts is always trying your best.

Remember who you are, and where you came from. That way you never get a big head.

May those that lost their lives in 9-11 RIP, for the things you did not many could do. You left so many behind so that you could save so few. For now we stand strong as one, and will not look back till the fight is done. (me)

http://www.danasoft.com/sig/Nowwhat%...5Csuphomey.jpg

The opinions given in my posts DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are MY PERSONAL OPINIONS only.

Quote Originally Posted by chris2001 View Post
    You didn't upset him at all. He is correct though. During those times they just did not have the networking capabilities that we do now days.
    thanks chris & yes the technology we have now was unthinkable back then

Tennsix is offline Officer First Class
    thanks chris & yes the technology we have now was unthinkable back then
    Once upon a time, photography was the best thing since the wheel. It was once a new and revolutionary technology. Outlaws were posing for photos not realizing they could be used on wanted posters. Before photos, LE often had no idea what a criminal looked like even if they had the wanted bulletin

I was attending an in-service class in the late 80’s when the instructor spoke of portable (not MDT’s) computers for use in the field. We thought it was a far-fetched notion and didn’t give it much consideration.
    Last edited by Tennsix; 12-17-06 at 03:13 AM.
    "We're the Bundys, we don't call the police. People call the police on us".
    -Peg Bundy

mavriktu is offline Patrol Sgt.
    Verified LEO
    Sorry I didn't get back sooner.The caps were meant for emphasis not shouting.Understand I am puter illiterate for the most part and for me to go to italics etc ,it would take me all night for that one post which would realllllyyyyy interfere with my beer consumption.

DaBigBR is offline No Infidels!
    The information on here is only semi-correct.

Out of state driver's information is provided by NLETS (National Law Enforcement Telecommunications System) which is completely separate from NCIC.

Messages are sent to the NLETS switch, which then routes the query to the proper state and returns the response. This is different than NCIC, where the data is actually stored on the NCIC computer system.

NavLaw is offline Officer First Class
    I can recall the time before we had all this. We had zip for out of state, but in state we had a stack of microfish (almost like microfilm)
    you had to put it in the viewer. This naturaly was done by the dispatcher, and at that time we had 1 only. To many traffic stops would get you a pissed off dispatcher.
    If you can't do it from a boat. Do you really want to do it?

Tennsix is offline Officer First Class
    Quote Originally Posted by NavLaw View Post
    To many traffic stops would get you a pissed off dispatcher.
    It still does!
    "We're the Bundys, we don't call the police. People call the police on us".
    -Peg Bundy

Lazy Fed is offline Curmudgeon
    If I told you what I have I would have to kill everyone
    dulce et decorum est pro patria mori

Quote Originally Posted by Resident Smart Ass
    Life is to short not to experience Lazy Fed
    ___ ___ ___
    {o,o} {-.-} {0,0}
    |)__) |)_(| (__(|
    -"-"- -"-"- -"-"-
    O RLY?? YA RLY NO WAI!!!!

The incoherent statements given in my posts DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency or any other person for that matter. They are MY PERSONAL DELUSIONAL FANTASIES and I accept sole responsibility as such as I am either drunk or stressed out of my mind.

Thread Information