Welcome to the APBWeb.
    pc830cop is offline Just another squirrel looking for a NUT
    Verified LEO

Admissability of officer created pointpoint document

An officer I work with recently completed a fatal traffic collision report. He created a powerpoint document in leiu of drawing the diagram, attached photographs he took at the scene, and submitted the whole thing as evidence!

He bragged about how the city attorney said how “he set the bar for others.”

I remember when digital photography was questioned, but haven't keep up on the issue of digital media.

My question is: Is a powerpoint document created by the investigating officer admissible as evidence? And anything citing such or not?

Searching for Evil and the Perfect donut (Love that book)

"It's not who you are underneath, but what you do that defines you"
    -Batman Begins

There are gains for all our losses
    There are balms for all our pain
    But, when youth, the dream, departs
    It takes something from our hearts
    And it never comes again

"Captain, it is I Ensign Pulver. I just threw your damn palm tree overboard. Now, what's all this crap about no movie tonight?" -Ens Pulver in Mister Roberts

The man who will go where his colors go, without asking who will fight a phantom foe in the jungle and mountain range, without counting, and who will suffer and die in the midst of incredible hardship, without complaint, is still what he has always been, from Imperial Rome to sceptered Britain to democratic America. He is the stuff of which legions are made. ...His pride is in his colors and his regiment, his training hard and thorough and coldly realistic, to fit him for what he must face...and his obedience is to his orders. He has been called United State Marine.
    T.R. Fehrenbach, This Kind of War

Tennsix is offline Officer First Class
    In my area, the police frequently submit evidentiary digital photographs for all types of investigation including crashes. To date, it has not been a problem. I don’t see how a Power Point presentation would be any different. However, I don’t think photos would take the place of a diagram. Photos are great but such an investigation still requires good old fashioned police work.
    "We're the Bundys, we don't call the police. People call the police on us".
    -Peg Bundy

Jks9199 is offline The Reason People Hate Cops & Causer of War
    Verified LEO
    I'd say that the PowerPoint package is just another way to put the stuff together. It had the plus side of being more easily portable than a stack of pictures and drawings -- but it's not anything earth shattering, in my opinion. I'm guessing he somehow imported a drawing into PowerPoint, whether he had to scan it into the computer or used software (like Total Station, Visio, or some other CAD-type software) to make it in the first place.

The only headache? What if the judge or prosecutor can't play his media -- whether they lack the program, lack the know-how or willingness, or lack the computer at all. I think he probably still had to (or should have) printed out the "presentation."

Thread Information