Welcome to the APBWeb.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    suncrafter is offline Rookie

Question If someone finds a lost wallet - what are they obligated by law to do?

I recently conducted a sociological experiment in Illinois called the "Wallet Test". You can read about it at http://www.wallettest.com/

I deliberately dropped 100 identical wallets in public places to test honesty.

My question is this: If someone finds a lost wallet - what are they obligated by law to do with it?

The test was in Illinois if that makes a difference.

nitestokker is offline Banned
    Where did you get these 100 wallets in the first place? Is this maybe the reason for the question in the first place?

I bought the wallets online, put $2.10 in each one along with ID.

My question was this: If someone finds a lost wallet - what are they obligated by law to do with it?

jmur5074 is offline Moderator
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    In MN, if you find or come across property that you should reasonably know is missing or stolen, and you don't turn it into the police, or contact the owner, you can be charged with theft.
    No one has greater love than this, to lay down ones life for ones friends - John 15:13

"The Wicked Flee When No Man Pursueth: But The Righteous Are Bold As A Lion".

We lucky few, we band of brothers. For he who today sheds his blood with me shall be my brother.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~
    The opinions, beliefs, and ideas expressed in this post are mine, and mine alone. They are NOT the opinions, beliefs, ideas, or policies of my Agency, Police Chief, City Council, or any member of my department.

Big Sexy is offline Not your mothers BIG SEXY
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by suncrafter View Post
    I bought the wallets online, put $2.10 in each one along with ID.

My question was this: If someone finds a lost wallet - what are they obligated by law to do with it?
    You had 100 pieces of ID??
    Don't Be Afraid To Fail.

No Tengas Miedo Al Fracaso.

nitestokker is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Sexy View Post
    You had 100 pieces of ID??
    In Nebraska you must turn in found property or face misdemeanor charges. Creating fake ID is a felony-even if it is for a "scientific experiment". Good luck with the social experiment the large, tattooed man does on you in prison.

Wow, should have sent all that money you put in the wallets to me better cause
    Thereís a promise I need you to make
    While Iím gone you take care of the love
    And Iíll deal with the hate.

Donít worry about me; Iíll be all right
    Just care for your children and sleep tight
    Iíll keep you safe on my watch tonight
    ~
    On My Watch Tonight - Mike Corrado

TheOldRhino is offline Corporal
    I recently conducted a sociological experiment in Illinois called the "Wallet Test". You can read about it at http://www.wallettest.com/

I deliberately dropped 100 identical wallets in public places to test honesty.

My question is this: If someone finds a lost wallet - what are they obligated by law to do with it?

The test was in Illinois if that makes a difference.
    I saw the video the other day, I thought it was great. Welcome to the site.

It usually depends on state laws. In Georgia, we have "Theft of Lost or Mislaid Property" that requires the finder to make a "reasonable" attempt to locate the owner.
    The virtue of spirit has no need for thanks or approval. Only the certain conviction that what has been done is right. -Jor El, as played by Marlon Brando

Jks9199 is offline The Reason People Hate Cops & Causer of War
    Verified LEO
    Legally, in VA, I could turn it into a larceny if the totality of the circumstances warranted it. You find a wallet, it's not yours, and you decide to keep it anyway, without making even a minimal attempt to return it -- you've stolen it.

But let's just rely on the Golden Rule test... If it was your wallet that was lost, wouldn't you want someone to return it?

TXCharlie is offline Former & Future Reserve Officer
    Very elaborate study!

He shows the stuff that went into the wallet here:
    http://www.wallettest.com/Lost_Walle...llet_Info.html

Haha - Conversation with thieves trying to redeem the gift certificate and lying out their ass about where they got the wallet:
    http://www.wallettest.com/Lost_Walle...ecordings.html

Now try it with laptop computers or $100 bills, and see how many honest people you get
    Last edited by TXCharlie; 01-01-07 at 12:28 AM.

(\__/)
    (='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
    (")_(") signature to help him gain world domination.

Jackalope is offline Yell O
    A few years ago I saw a segment on Dateline or one of those shows with a very similar experiment. Instead of leaving the wallets out for people to find, the producers turned them into police officers (taping the hand-over with hidden cameras, of course) in an attempt to see how many of the wallets were returned to the address inside the wallet.

Obviously the purpose of the piece was to show what a bunch of corrupt bastards the police are. But to their surprise, every single wallet made it back to the "owner" with all of the money left inside. At least they had the decency to air the segment, despite the fact it wasn't at juicy as they'd hoped.
    "I'm not a coward,
    I've just never been tested
    I'd like to think that if I was,
    I would pass"
    ~Mighty Mighty Bosstones~

BEB
    BEB is offline Banned
    I saw Dateline for what it was when they did hit pieces on 3 wheelers back in the day. Setting off fireworks to get the GM pickups to explode was really quite refreshing - finally the rest of the world saw them for what they were.

Edit - oops

Last edited by BEB; 01-01-07 at 02:33 AM.

cntryboy0531 is offline THE five-oh
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by Jackalope View Post
    A few years ago I saw a segment on Dateline or one of those shows with a very similar experiment. Instead of leaving the wallets out for people to find, the producers turned them into police officers (taping the hand-over with hidden cameras, of course) in an attempt to see how many of the wallets were returned to the address inside the wallet.

Obviously the purpose of the piece was to show what a bunch of corrupt bastards the police are. But to their surprise, every single wallet made it back to the "owner" with all of the money left inside. At least they had the decency to air the segment, despite the fact it wasn't at juicy as they'd hoped.
    That thing was flawed from the get go. If I can't find an owner (or just don't have time to hunt one down) it maybe a few days before I can get a chance to find one, or it may just end up in property/evidence as a found property report..

Lo523 is offline Master Officer
    Supporting Member Lvl 1
    Quote Originally Posted by jmur5074 View Post
    In MN, if you find or come across property that you should reasonably know is missing or stolen, and you don't turn it into the police, or contact the owner, you can be charged with theft.
    Its the same here in the UK - you could be charged with theft by finding.
    Never approach a bull by the front, a horse from behind, or an idiot from any direction.

Piggybank Cop is offline Nobody important.
    Excuse me, did anyone loose this $100 bill?

Yeah, right.

ps: do that, then tell them it's counterfeit and you'll have to arrest them; what fun.

We are the thin blue line
    between you
    and all the money in the world.

And no you can't have any.

TXCharlie is offline Former & Future Reserve Officer
    Quote Originally Posted by 1sgkelly View Post
    Excuse me, did anyone loose this $100 bill?

Yeah, right.

ps: do that, then tell them it's counterfeit and you'll have to arrest them; what fun.

Sub-Topic: Are you allowed to invent your own "sting operation" to entertain yourself in your spare time?

(\__/)
    (='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
    (")_(") signature to help him gain world domination.

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by nitestokker View Post
    Creating fake ID is a felony-even if it is for a "scientific experiment". Good luck with the social experiment the large, tattooed man does on you in prison.
    The ID was not a drivers licence, a SS# card or any official document such as that. It was just a card that showed my name, address and phone number. See here for details:
    http://www.wallettest.com/Lost_Walle...llet_Info.html

Big Al is offline There is no place like home....
    Verified LEO
    I found one at a Stop and Rob, mailed it to the adressee on the ID inside with a note.. Didn't even get a thank you call or letter, but I did the right thing.

Quote Originally Posted by jmur5074 View Post
    Thank you. That's what I needed to know. To be honest, I was 99% sure that was the case, but I needed confirmation from an expert.

Thank you again,
    - Suncrafter

jmur5074 is offline Moderator
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    Thank you. That's what I needed to know. To be honest, I was 99% sure that was the case, but I needed confirmation from an expert.

Thank you again,
    - Suncrafter
    Well, if you want an expert, talk to a law professor.

I'm a stupid cop.

haha
    No one has greater love than this, to lay down ones life for ones friends - John 15:13

"The Wicked Flee When No Man Pursueth: But The Righteous Are Bold As A Lion".

We lucky few, we band of brothers. For he who today sheds his blood with me shall be my brother.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~
    The opinions, beliefs, and ideas expressed in this post are mine, and mine alone. They are NOT the opinions, beliefs, ideas, or policies of my Agency, Police Chief, City Council, or any member of my department.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information