Welcome to the APBWeb.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Washing cars...

conalabu is offline Grasshopper
    Verified LEO

Washing cars...

So, we got our Dodge Chargers. They are about as sweet as car can get. Have their problems and issues, but still super sweet. And they look good. But...Chief wants to make sure they stay that way. We have a policy now that states we have to wash and maintain our cars once a shift, but Chief is worried that the bristle brushes we use now are going to be too rough on the black and white paint job. Anybody got any ideas for washing them that is going to keep things quick, but not scratch the bejesus out of the cars?
    And Shepards we shall be,
    for thee, My Lord, for thee,
    Power hath descended forth from Thy hand,
    That our feet may swiftly carry out Thy Command.
    So we shall flow a river forth to Thee
    And teeming with souls will it ever be.
    In Nomine Patris, Et Filli, Et Spiritus Sancti.

Vendetta is offline Today, We are All Hokies
    Verified LEO
    I only wash my POV with a clean terry cloth towel. Brushes and sponges will hold grit that will scratch. The best thing I have found is a HOT water pressure washer. You would be suprised at the difference that hot water will make.

P.S. I am anal about my vehicles
    "And don't go home, and don't go to eat, and don't play with yourself. It wouldn't look nice on my highway", Buford T. Justice

#1 Rule in Police: Sometimes its easier to ask Forgiveness than it is to ask Permission

No one knows what it's like
    To be the bad man
    To be the sad man
    Behind blue eyes

carramrod is offline Rookie
    micro fiber cloths, wax once a month, betweeen waxing - about once a week use meguires (sp?) speed detailer with a micro fiber cloth
    the speed detailer takes about five minutes to do the whole car after you spray it down.
    Ive used this same combo on my personal car ever since ive owned it and it still looks new

dlocke1419 is offline Officer First Class
    Do not go through automatic car washes that are not tough free, the brushes will leave light scratchs which it time really look like shit.

When drying the car off dont use anything but a shamie or a want to be shamie(spelled wrong), towels will also scratch the paint.

Also in the spring if it just palin build up you can use a California Duster to clean it off without washing the car.

jmur5074 is offline Moderator
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    I've always had good luck with heated pressure washers. Not the automatic car washes, buy a nice heated pressure washer.
    No one has greater love than this, to lay down ones life for ones friends - John 15:13

"The Wicked Flee When No Man Pursueth: But The Righteous Are Bold As A Lion".

We lucky few, we band of brothers. For he who today sheds his blood with me shall be my brother.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~
    The opinions, beliefs, and ideas expressed in this post are mine, and mine alone. They are NOT the opinions, beliefs, ideas, or policies of my Agency, Police Chief, City Council, or any member of my department.

BEB
    BEB is offline Banned
    Seems quite excessive to the point of being harmful. Even if you don't scratch the paint a daily bath for a car is going to be getting things wet that don't really like to be wet all the time. You're often forcing just a wee bit of moisture past the dust boots on the brakes when spraying the wheels, a trickle down the door jam where it pools inside the body - and the humidity of the hot water gets into vent holes on any number of things.

A cruiser is one vehicle that runs long enough that it will mostly dry out over the course of the day, but I still can't see daily washing.

Does the policy specifically say washing? Or will the wipe down methods suggested fly if the result is the same?

OffDuty is offline The Shotgun is Family.
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by dlocke1419 View Post
    Do not go through automatic car washes that are not tough free, the brushes will leave light scratchs which it time really look like shit.
    The bullshit to that is that no wash can "scrub" the cars dirt without some sort of contact..

Hell, its still a SQUAD CAR, not a Ferrari 360 Modena.. its going to get dirt and scratches, and plenty of dents.

I am super anal about my car too, and wash it nearly every day, but I also drive thru alleys, over curbs from time to time, and it is still a work vehicle, not the garage queens I once owned (my 2 Bimmers)
    There are only two kinds of real justice left: street and poetic...

Canada, huh? Almost made it...

*DISCLAIMER*The opinions expressed here are my own delusions. My employer administraton would at best shake their heads and sigh; or at worst severely repudiate the content of these posts, should it ever manage to appear on their radar.

PersiusOne is offline Patrol Monkey
    We use the heated pressure washers in a carwash port with fleet carwash cards. It's touchless - and does not harm the paint job. It can be rough on the decals if you put the pressure washer too close to them so be sure to keep a distance of about 18 inches in those areas. Clean time is under 5 minutes for our CVPIs, dry time varies, and outcome is superb.

New Chargers, eh? Nice! ...punk

(I'm jealous)

The opinions expressed in this post do not reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency, Police Chief, or any other member or employee of my department or municipality.

Julia Guest
    Cant wait to see em conalabu--bring um by next shift and ill show ya how to wash em..

Verified LEO
    I appreciate all the responses. I am going to try for the pressure washers or the Meguiars Speed Detailing stuff. It is policy that the cars be cleaned everyday and honestly, the cars do look better and more impressive when they aren't filthy. Thanks for the help!

Coloradocop is offline It's the PoPo
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by conalabu View Post
    Anybody got any ideas for washing them that is going to keep things quick, but not scratch the bejesus out of the cars?
    Drive down to the department's service center... Sit in a comfortable chair and watch the "trusties" clean/polish your car

(sorry, I'm big city... our cars look like crap, and the city could care less about taking care of them. I should post a picture of some of these cars sometime... half of them have large spots of missing paint ).

I do envy you though. I've heard the Chargers are nice. We were told we were getting them, but we just got another bunch of Crown Vics in here, so I doubt we'll see anything else for a couple more years.

CT209 is offline Once..... Forever
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by conalabu View Post
    So, we got our Dodge Chargers. They are about as sweet as car can get. Have their problems and issues, but still super sweet. And they look good. But...Chief wants to make sure they stay that way. We have a policy now that states we have to wash and maintain our cars once a shift, but Chief is worried that the bristle brushes we use now are going to be too rough on the black and white paint job. Anybody got any ideas for washing them that is going to keep things quick, but not scratch the bejesus out of the cars?
    Once a shift???

Are you assigned your own car? We rotate ours and they are used 24/7/365. Damn, even with days they are down for maintenance, that'd be over a 1000 washings a year. Figure one man-hour for each washing, that'd cost in excess of $25K just for washings.
    "When a crime is committed, liberals blame society. Conservatives blame the criminal." -Debra Saunders

Old Scottish Motto- "nemo me impune laccessit". It still holds true today.

Cheech Guest
    Hey conalabu post pics of the charger. We have a couple more coming to our dept. Heres the thing its a cop car its gonna get knicked , scratched, etc. I just run it through a car wash.

Also how are the brakes on your chargers? Are they able to withstand the way you guys drive? We have those probs with ours

Big Al is offline There is no place like home....
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by Tony View Post
    Hey conalabu post pics of the charger.

Also how are the brakes on your chargers? Are they able to withstand the way you guys drive? We have those probs with ours

Brakes have been an issues with ours too, but other than that no real problems. We use brushless pressure washers or the guys can ahnd wash them if they want to, but most don't.

dadyswat is offline Officer First Class
    Verified LEO
    Use a soft cloth and a couple of prisoners that are doing community service.

Virginian is offline Major
    Supporting Member Lvl 2
    Ah man that is sweet... I demand a ride along

Verified LEO
    The five things that I am not all that happy about with our cars so far...
    1-we have internal visor lights. The way they are set up, if you are sitting at a stop light, you can't see the light unless you are leaning forward or stop way before the stop line.
    2-trunk space
    3-gas door does not lock
    4-need little key fob doo hickey to unlock the car, or the damn alarm goes off when you use the power locks to lock it.
    5-brakes make me nervous. We have not had problems yet and we have the 2007 Chargers that supposedly have high speed brakes, but I have heard way too many people say that they glaze up at high speed braking.

On the other hand, we have not had them long, and the pluses in comparison to the Vics outweigh the minuses. So far. The Vic was an old person car that was made into a LE vehicle. The Charger is set up on a totally different level. These things were made for agressive driving. There are numerous little things that Dodge did that is obviously in line with LE vehicles that came from the factory production line. I am going to get some pics up within the net few weeks, Tony, and I may ask for a model if you are not too swamped with 'em by now. As far as the washings and scratching, heck, we know that is going to happen, but Chief still wants the cars clean and wants as little damage as possible. Our Chief goes to bat for us way too much for me to complain when he asks something like this. It only takes about ten minutes or so to do, so no big deal really. Thanks for the responses.

Virgin...no.

Virginian is offline Major
    Supporting Member Lvl 2
    Yes

TXCOP is offline Officer First Class
    How are the big and tall officers liking them? I tried one at the local emergency light installer and I didn't have enough head room. It didn't have any gear in it yet and it seemed cramped.
    "Somewhere a True Believer is training to kill you.
    He is training with minimum food or water, in austere conditions, day and night.
    The only thing clean on him is his weapon.
    He doesn't worry about what workout to do---his rucksack weighs what it weighs, and he runs until the enemy stops chasing him.
    The True Believer doesn't care "how hard it is"; he knows he either wins or he dies.
    He doesn't go home at 1700; he is home.
    He knows only the Cause.
    Now, who wants to quit?"

"I am only one, but I am one. I can not do everything, but I can do something. And because I can not do everything I will not refuse to do the something that I can do. What I can do I should do. And what I should do, by the Grace of God, I will do."

Edward Everett Hale

chris2001 is offline Captain
    Updates updates.
    Being the best is not what always counts. What counts is always trying your best.

Remember who you are, and where you came from. That way you never get a big head.

May those that lost their lives in 9-11 RIP, for the things you did not many could do. You left so many behind so that you could save so few. For now we stand strong as one, and will not look back till the fight is done. (me)

http://www.danasoft.com/sig/Nowwhat%...5Csuphomey.jpg

The opinions given in my posts DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are MY PERSONAL OPINIONS only.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information