Welcome to the APBWeb.
    Pinki is offline Sergeant
    Supporting Member Lvl 2

Do curfew ordinances for youth help?

Hi folks.

In our area, the 'idea du jour' is to pass a curfew for youth. This situation mainly grew out of some residents in the vicinity of a roller skating rink where juveniles tend to walk back and forth between the rink and movie theatre late at night. This is a small-ish town with high unemployment and not much for kids to do. I do not have kids nor live in town so it doesn't affect me much, but it is debated pretty hotly on a local blog. So, I'm curious as to whether law enforcement thinks this sort of thing is truly helpful. In addition, it would mean a whole lot more work for law enforcement who will have to pick all these kids up (or some such thing).

chris2001 is offline Captain
    It can work depends on how its enforeced. Around my area its pointless because if I write a curfew violation its gets dismissed in court and a letter is sent out to the parents telling them simply not to let it happen again or SRS will be called. Even if it happens a second time SRS is still not involved and the citation still gets dropped the second time. So basically its pointless around here.
    Being the best is not what always counts. What counts is always trying your best.

Remember who you are, and where you came from. That way you never get a big head.

May those that lost their lives in 9-11 RIP, for the things you did not many could do. You left so many behind so that you could save so few. For now we stand strong as one, and will not look back till the fight is done. (me)

http://www.danasoft.com/sig/Nowwhat%...5Csuphomey.jpg

The opinions given in my posts DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are MY PERSONAL OPINIONS only.

Crimebytes2 is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by chris2001 View Post
    It can work depends on how its enforeced. Around my area its pointless because if I write a curfew violation its gets dismissed in court and a letter is sent out to the parents telling them simply not to let it happen again or SRS will be called. Even if it happens a second time SRS is still not involved and the citation still gets dropped the second time. So basically its pointless around here.
    Do you even bother with writing them then?

Piggybank Cop is offline Nobody important.
    Betcha itd work in conjunction with a shoot on sight order.

Or at least a Tase on sight order.

We are the thin blue line
    between you
    and all the money in the world.

And no you can't have any.

Supporting Member Lvl 2
    Chris2001 I have a strong feeling that is exactly what is going to happen.

Beans is offline Street Cop
    Verified LEO
    We write them all the time. Nothing happens but it is a good way to document juveniles who are out late. Then when there is car break in etc, you can look back at the curfews for possible suspects.
    The opinions given in my posts DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "Beans" on LEF.

121Traffic is offline Just Us
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by bull3032 View Post
    We use it as kind of a "trump card"...if we contact a local turd kid who's out...he's going to get taken in. If it's a kid who's got a bad attitude...he's going to get taken in. But if it's a "John Q" type kid who's just going home (not getting into trouble), we typically let it slide. Kind of like "Public Intox"...as long as you're not a total asshole, we can help figure out a solution for you that may not involve getting locked up. However, there is one officer I work with that'll bring kids in 5 minutes after curfew no matter what...that particular officer is just trying to put up great arrest stats. That officer sucks.
    Along with Beans post regarding keeping tabs on your problem kids, I agree with Bull in that I only write them when there's cause. You run, and I get to tack the curfew on. You're a mouth, i get to ruin your good time with friends and run you into the station.

We are pretty steady most nights when most curfew violations occur (2300-0300), so we don't have a lot of time to dick with it. Status offenses (curfew, underage consumption tobacco/alcohol, etc) in the absence of other non-age related charges, do not let us hold juveniles in a secure area, so we just bring them to our lobby. We skip the automated booking and just do a handwritten custody form on them, no prints, etc. Snap a quick digital photo, fill out a ticket, and call the parents. Take the shitbirds shoes, coat, and all other belongings, and lock them up so they don't think about splitting, and let the kid wait in the lobby for their parents to show. That all only takes about ten minutes, and if the parents are going to take longer than that, I leave them there and am back out on the street til mom and dad show.
    "If anything worthwhile comes of this tragedy, it should be the realization by every citizen that often the only thing that stands between them and losing everything they hold dear... is the man wearing a badge." -- Ronald Reagan, in the wake of the deaths of 4 CHP troopers in the Newhall Incident, 1970

The opinions given in my posts DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "121Traffic" on O/R.

jmur5074 is offline Moderator
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    We do it similar to Bull and 121.

First off, like Bull said, if it's John Q. Publics kid out rollerblading around the lake, or driving home from a movie, we typically will let it slide, and send 'em home.

If it's a kid that I find in a backyard that's not his, or skateboarding on private property, etc...they come to the station with me, OR I take them home to mom and dad, depending on how busy we are. Then that kid gets cited for curfew. And our courts don't just automatically drop it, but they aren't exactly sticklers with juvenile status crimes either.
    No one has greater love than this, to lay down ones life for ones friends - John 15:13

"The Wicked Flee When No Man Pursueth: But The Righteous Are Bold As A Lion".

We lucky few, we band of brothers. For he who today sheds his blood with me shall be my brother.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~
    The opinions, beliefs, and ideas expressed in this post are mine, and mine alone. They are NOT the opinions, beliefs, ideas, or policies of my Agency, Police Chief, City Council, or any member of my department.

tapout is offline keepin it gangsta'
    Verified LEO
    However, there is one officer I work with that'll bring kids in 5 minutes after curfew no matter what...that particular officer is just trying to put up great arrest stats. That officer sucks.
    agreed

i doubt any supervisor, or any leo in general, feels that a bunch of juvenile curfew arrests really count as great arrest stats, but i totally agree with your point.

that being said, i wouldnt mind having a curfew where i work. at a minimum, its instant pc to make a lock up when looking for bigger and better things. lets not lose sight of the fact that kids (under 18) deal drugs, kids carry guns, kids committ violent crimes, etc...it certainly would make things easier to be able to arrest them on contact simply for being out past a certain time. Search incident to arrest, who knows what youll get into.

although i would agree with the above posters that most curfew violations are pointless, its just another tool that could come in handy. a little discretion paired with some common sense goes a long way.
    in the warriors code there's no surrender, though his body says stop, his spirit cries...NEVER. deep in our souls, a quiet ember, knows its you against you, its the paradox that drives us all. its a battle of wills, in the heat of attack, its the passion that kills, and victory is yours alone.

the posts and opinions stated by me do not in any way reflect the values, beliefs, or views of my department. they are simply opinions and/or observations which have been developed through my personal experiences. hell, most of the stories probably arent even true...wink wink

tapout is offline keepin it gangsta'
    Verified LEO
    hmmmm...you wouldn't think so, but.....
    lol...youre right, those guys are out there
    in the warriors code there's no surrender, though his body says stop, his spirit cries...NEVER. deep in our souls, a quiet ember, knows its you against you, its the paradox that drives us all. its a battle of wills, in the heat of attack, its the passion that kills, and victory is yours alone.

the posts and opinions stated by me do not in any way reflect the values, beliefs, or views of my department. they are simply opinions and/or observations which have been developed through my personal experiences. hell, most of the stories probably arent even true...wink wink

PersiusOne is offline Patrol Monkey
    I let curfew slide usually, but the law allows me a great opportunity to find out if they have anything illegal on them. I've contacted a ton of juvs who were out past curfew and happen to be drunk or have drugs, weapons, spray paint, etc.
    The opinions expressed in this post do not reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency, Police Chief, or any other member or employee of my department or municipality.

Supporting Member Lvl 2
    Thanks for all the thought provoking replies, folks. I was sort of against the idea thinking it would tie up law enforcement from the more serious stuff; but, from most of what you are saying, it can be a helpful tool in bringing in some of the more serious stuff too.

OfficerResource.com is offline Site Administrator
    Verified LEO
    We enforce curfew and it works great! The first offense we usally call parents and make them come get kid. second cite kid for curfew. Again like others court does nothing with these kids.

On the third offense we cite the parents for permitting a juvenile out after curfew. NOW THIS WORKS. THe parents are hit with a fine of $125.00. Usally don't get kids after it hits the parents pocket books. It is amazing how parents will start making sure their kids are inside after 11pm after they have had to pay a fine!

Jenna is offline sheep
    Premium Lifetime Member
    What if the kids are vampire slayers? They do most of their work at night.

Last edited by Jenna; 01-08-07 at 09:31 AM.

cntryboy0531 is offline THE five-oh
    Verified LEO
    We have one, and it works great if used properly. A lot of times during the summer, kids get "bored" and decide the best way to have a good time, is to go hitting mailboxes, cars, burglarizing things, etc.. So, in select area's we cite the kid for out past curfew, and release to mom and dad. Mom or Dad gets fined $50 to the court, and they have to appear in front of the judge.

I had one Lt. who wanted us to enforce it on any kid the ordinance was applicable to. I thought that was BS, but whatever floated his boat. Still didn't do it unless I felt the situation called for it.

Dudleydoright is offline Officer First Class
    Jenna,
    Just to add to what's already been said. For our area kids under the age of 17 have a curfew. They are not bothered if we find that they're driving home from work etc. Unfortunately, younger kids who are out at night do get into things (sometimes) that they aren't supposed to.......destrution of properties, thefts etc. The family court doesn't call them in for an isolated incident. They look for multiple infractions and continueing behavior. We also notify parents or take them home. Sometimes the parents are suprised as the kids have snuck? out of the house. Yes, the curfew laws are good.

BigRich is offline Big Irish Sausage
    We had a curfew that really wasn't worth a shit. It was set too late. We still had the vandalism and crime that goes along with turd kids. So we changed the curfew to two hours earlier.

What a difference two hours makes. The random acts of vandalism stopped. Don't get me wrong, the turd kids still cause trouble, but the "bored kids" trouble pretty much went away.

As for citing them, we do. And they pay. Our judge is pretty strict on that, so if a curfew ticket gets written, it doesn't get tossed out.
    BR

BigRich@LawEnforcementForums.c om

Fresh Cope, It Satisfies, Since 1822

Freedom is not free, it requires great sacrifice. The price is paid in blood.

Coloradocop is offline It's the PoPo
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by 121Traffic View Post
    Along with Beans post regarding keeping tabs on your problem kids, I agree with Bull in that I only write them when there's cause. You run, and I get to tack the curfew on. You're a mouth, i get to ruin your good time with friends and run you into the station.
    +1.

Same thing around here... I only use curfew when I'm looking for a reason to write/arrest someone. If they are cool with us, not causing trouble, and not complicating my life... I typically don't use this violation.

danninator is offline po-leece
    Verified LEO
    It helps because if I know theyre up to something but can't quite get them I can just say "go home its after curfew"
    No life 'til leather gunna kick some ass tonight.

LinkBacks (?)

1. 01-03-10, 04:21 PM

Thread Information