Welcome to the APBWeb.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    TXCharlie is offline Former & Future Reserve Officer

Talking Mission Accomplished!!!

Sorry the 4-shot thing made it in

http://www.dfw.com/mld/dfw/news/opin...2/16507118.htm

Shocking bill

Possibly the most bizarre bill in the history of the Texas Legislature, HB 418, has been submitted by Rep. Lon Burnam, D-Fort Worth. The legislation, if passed, would allow police officers to use Tasers only in situations in which deadly force is justified -- yet Tasers have proven to be as nonlethal as any tool that cops have at their disposal (even pepper spray and fists).

Burnam may be signing the death warrants of hundreds of suspects who might have lived if Tasered rather than shot, because taking away the Taser option in the early stages of a struggle allows the situation to escalate out of control.

Why would a cop even use a Taser in situations where the use of a gun is also justified? The short range of the Taser requires an officer to get in the "danger zone" of an armed suspect. And Tasers are much less reliable than a gun in stopping a suspect: They have only four shots, whereas a 9mm Glock 17 allows 18 shots.

Only in an extremely small number of cases has the Taser been associated with a suspect's death. (The suspect was almost always on drugs and probably would have died anyway.) Cops even get shocked with Tasers as a routine part of their training, with no adverse affects.

Burnam should be recalled before he can do any more damage.

(\__/)
    (='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
    (")_(") signature to help him gain world domination.

JLK
    JLK is offline Protecting Those That Can't Protect Themselves
    Verified LEO
    new bill
    officers will use hugs and positive reenforcement instead of guns and tasers to protect law abiding citizens because it is not really the bad guys fault. he just don't know any better.

"A strong man stands up for himself. A stronger man stands up for others."
    Ben

The old sheriff was attending an awards dinner when a lady commented
    on his wearing his sidearm. "Sheriff, I see you have your pistol. Are you
    expecting trouble?" "No Ma'am. If I were expecting trouble, I would have
    brought my rifle."
    (just stole this one hope you don't mind)

The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they are ignorant,
    it is just that they know so much that isn't so.
    President Ronald Reagan

Star Man is offline Guns only have two enemies; rust and politicians
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by TXCharlie View Post
    Surprise surprise...

Here's some YouTube of this butthole:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RDmmedWRDDM
    It's no suprise to me that he is hanging out with the tree hugging crowd on Cindy Sheehans property in Crawford Texas.

He certianly doesn't project a serious line of respect in the stupid shorts all hunched over like he is during that terrible interview.

bird1 is offline Corporal
    Verified LEO
    when police use of deadly force goes up they'll start saying cops are out of control. when a person comes at a cop with a knife we can say sorry if i had a taser that person would be alive but i used deadly force like i was trained to use
    " The hardest thing about disarming an armed suspect is not slipping on your own shit "

Michael P. Gordon E.O.W 08 Aug 2004

The opinions given in my posts DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are MY PERSONAL OPINIONS and I accept sole responsibility as such.

spcwes is offline Wookie!!!!
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by JLK View Post
    new bill
    officers will use hugs and positive reenforcement instead of guns and tasers to protect law abiding citizens because it is not really the bad guys fault. he just don't know any better.
    Not in TX, more and more LE will have the maglite effect on people they are dealing with. The way it should be if you ask me anyway. Hell our Troopers to this day still weild that fucking thing like the hammer of thor. I can't even imagine how bad it will be with a bunch of pissed off TX Law Enforcement Officers, people are going to get their heads cracked.

I can't wait.
    STOP RESISTING!!!!

For he is God's servant to do you good, but if you do wrong, be afraid, for he does not bear the sword for nothing. He is God's servant, an agent of wrath to bring punishment on the wrongdoer.

The opinions expressed in this post are mine, and mine alone. They are NOT the opinions of my Agency or my Agency Heads.

mwstumm1 is offline Patrol K-9 Sgt.
    What is the FOP doing about this?
    [COLOR="Yellow"]Please visit our site at www.pittsboropdk9.org[ /COLOR]

TXCharlie is offline Former & Future Reserve Officer
    I know that our town doesn't carry Tasers (yet - it may affect them in the future) and our Police Association is non-political and non-public (bunch of pussies ). Seriously, it's such a small PD that if anyone complains via the PA, then the brass will probably guess the source.

I have no idea why they have not spoken out publically against this, though (I know the Chief is very anti-political, so maybe that's the reason).

(\__/)
    (='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
    (")_(") signature to help him gain world domination.

deputymeaux is offline Snuffy248
    Hi guys...this is my first post, usually i just sit back and listen(read) but this Rep really pisses me off. It ceases to amaze me just how some people can look at our job and come up with some thing like this house bill.
    Kinda like the old joke about the guy running a stop sign and gets pulled over....tells the officer that at least he slowed down for the stop sign so whats the difference......officer starts banging on his head with a nightstick and tells him......you want me to stop or slow down(something like that).
    Maybe something like this needs to happen to our dear rep. Stand him up somewhere and offer him the choice...a Taser ride or a bullet.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread Information