Welcome to the APBWeb.

View Poll Results: Compared to before you became an LEO, how much do you believe in a religion now?

Voters
61. You may not vote on this poll
  • I believe more strongly in my religion than before I became an LEO

16 26.23%
  • I believe less strongly in my religion (or became more agnostic/atheist) than before I became an LEO

5 8.20%
  • I believe no more or less in my religion than before I became an LEO

40 65.57%
    Jenna is offline sheep
    Premium Lifetime Member

Religion and LE--How has police work affected your religious beliefs?

Has law enforcement changed your religious beliefs, or caused you to change religions (or stop or start believing in a religion)? For instance, has the experience of constantly dealing with evil and seeing bad things happen to good people for no reason made it more difficult for you to believe in a just, loving, and all-powerful God, as the Holocaust did for some Jews? Or have things that happened in law enforcement (such as having your life spared in dangerous situations) strengthened your belief in God?

One of the things I really admire about people in law enforcement is their ability to deal with the evil and suffering of the world in unusually high doses, while maintaining their sense that life is existentially meaningful, and trying to do good in an overwhelmingly evil world. I imagine that must be difficult. So I'm wondering what effect law enforcement has had on your religious beliefs.

Do you now believe in your religion more strongly than, less strongly than, or equally strongly as before you became an LEO?
    Last edited by Jenna; 01-13-07 at 05:24 PM.

CelticCop is offline The Dark Lord
    Hmmm, well, I'm a Pagan. So I would have to say that it has done little to affect my views religiously. It allows me to have a more lasting effect in a positive way on more people than I would ever have reached otherwise.

And no, just because I'm a Pagan doesn't mean that I'm a tree hugging liberal piece of yuppie scum. Thanks a ton. It merely means that I follow a religion older than the Christian faith. Nor does it mean that I dislike Christians, I believe in worshipping as you see fit. There are many roads and we must each travel the one that suits us best.
    "Where's your towel Arthur?" -Ford Prefect

"You! On your knees!" -Green Jello

Some take delight in the carriages a rollin'
    and some take delight in the hurley and the bowlin',
    I take delight in the juice of the barley,
    and courtin' pretty fair maids in the morning bright and early...

"You are, without a doubt, the worst pirate I've ever heard of..." Cmdre. Norrington "Ah, but you have heard of me." Capt. Jack Sparrow

Warning my statements do not reflect the policies, procedures or views of my agency. As a matter of fact, they think I'm just as nuts as you do, so shove it and blow it out of your fart tube.

jato is offline Deputy Sheriff
    I believe less than before (I was raised Christian).

The most interesting cornerstone to religion IMO is the issue of Creation. I still believe that some sort of a force or “god” created the universe. I don’t believe the universe and life could have formed from mere randomness.

However, I believe the universe, meaning of life, or whatever religion tries to address and quantify is not knowable by humans. We don't have enough longevity, mental power and sensory inputs to figure it all out.

The best phrase that sums up my new faith is: “I don’t know and neither do you.”

deputysykes is offline Corporal
    Verified LEO
    I can't say the job's affected my beliefs in religion. I was raised in a Christian home. I can say it's affected the way I view other people. Before, I had a tendency to view all people in the best possible light from scratch. Now, I tend to be suspicious/cautious of all people from scratch.

p.s. The job also shows the Golden Rule does NOT always work.

TXCOP is offline Officer First Class
    I told myself that I wasn't going to answer any more of these Jenna, but this one you already know.
    "Somewhere a True Believer is training to kill you.
    He is training with minimum food or water, in austere conditions, day and night.
    The only thing clean on him is his weapon.
    He doesn't worry about what workout to do---his rucksack weighs what it weighs, and he runs until the enemy stops chasing him.
    The True Believer doesn't care "how hard it is"; he knows he either wins or he dies.
    He doesn't go home at 1700; he is home.
    He knows only the Cause.
    Now, who wants to quit?"

"I am only one, but I am one. I can not do everything, but I can do something. And because I can not do everything I will not refuse to do the something that I can do. What I can do I should do. And what I should do, by the Grace of God, I will do."

Edward Everett Hale

CountyFourteen is offline Sergeant
    Verified LEO
    I too am called "pagan", but I can't answer this poll since I am never "religious" but I am spiritual, there is a big difference.
    Any Post I make is my opinion only!
    I do not have the authority or the permission to post for my Sheriff's Office.

armygrnt502 is offline Making my streets safer, one day at a time
    Verified LEO
    I too fall into the Pagan crowd although my leanings is to be far more spiritual than doctrine or dogma.

I feel that like Bull3032 stated, (I got into police work for much of the same reason Bull) there are good people out there that at times makes mistakes. I will work with them as much as I can however there are times when I can only do so much.

I feel that this job has brought me some personal enlightenment, as in I am more aware of myself, the affects my actions have upon others and the results of these actions. I believe in a higher power, however I do not feel that we are puppets on strings that dance to the whims of a master puppeteer. We choose to be who we are and the actions that we take are also our own choice. Nature is not good or evil, she cares not if you live or die. She is truly neutral in this.

I saw this plaque the other day that really floored me. It is actually part of a phrase from the bible, but it really struck a chord with me.

BE STILL AND KNOW THAT I AM

When I read that, I had a moment of clarity. The ideas and concerns that I was worried over ceased to exist. I realized that what matters (to me at least) is the life that I was living, not the clothes or cars or other material goods. It is the smiles of my children when I come home or the yipping of the puppy when I play with him. Its the soft sigh of my wife as I sleep next to her.

That said, the people I deal with dont truly bother me anymore. There are good natured people and there are not so good natured people, that I have no control over. I simply accept this for what it is and it really puts me in a zen place.

I can put it this way: I can smile and talk nice with you, but think of how I am going to kill you if need be.

I'm cool with that, I dont worry much anymore about the people I get out with. I have that same mindset everytime and the worries of what will they do or dont do has passed. If they dont do, then its fine, if they do decide to get crazy, I know my response and thats fine too.

I have in a sense, become still and realized that I can only control and affect so much and that tommorrow is another day.
    "Sometimes people need a little help. Sometimes people need to be forgiven. And sometimes they need to go to jail."

Terminator is offline BANNED

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by jato View Post
    I believe less than before (I was raised Christian).

The most interesting cornerstone to religion IMO is the issue of Creation. I still believe that some sort of a force or “god” created the universe. I don’t believe the universe and life could have formed from mere randomness.

However, I believe the universe, meaning of life, or whatever religion tries to address and quantify is not knowable by humans. We don't have enough longevity, mental power and sensory inputs to figure it all out.

The best phrase that sums up my new faith is: “I don’t know and neither do you.”

That was one of the smartest posts I've ever read on LEF. I agree 100%!!!

Coloradocop is offline It's the PoPo
    Verified LEO
    I wasn't religious going into LE, and things haven't changed in my being here. Not that I'm necessarily saying that there is no "higher power", but I just don't find myself subscribing to any one set of ideals in an organized sense... I guess you could call me Agnostic.

Additionally, if I could define any of the experiences that I've had in my life as being either religious or spiritual, I'd say that they have occured while deep in the mountains, or otherwise out in nature... not in a church, and certainly not with the savages I deal with in the Ghetto on a daily basis (does this make me a hippie?).

This being said, I think my cynical view of humanity has become more concrete as a LEO

Watchman is offline Rookie
    If anything, it has strengthened my Christian beleifs. I've seen some absolute EVIL and I've seen some things that were absolutely good.

I've been with people that were of the Christian faith that beleived that there was much more to life than what we know from our short stay on Earth,and seen the peace in their eyes when they took their last breath.

I've been with others that beleived nothing and seen the fear and regret when they realized that it was over and that there was nothing that they could do about it.

Sometimes I'm reminded that there is much more to this existence than what we know. I am also reminded that every single human being that has lived,will live or is living now will have to make a consious decision on which way to go.

I also beleive that nothing happens by accident, that everything happens for a reason. Allthough it may seem difficult to accept at the time, I dont think that anything happends randomly.

Some might call me simple, but hey..it works for me...

Ivory is offline Grrr I hate not working for a jail.....
    I am Wiccan, So LE doesn't change anything with my religion, just makes me stronger in learning to deal with certain situations that come up in life....Not considered Pagan....
    Life is a fleeting memory,
    It come and goes,
    But one thing will always remain.
    That is History.
    ~Erin~

countybear is offline BDRT - Baby Daddy Removal Team
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    No change here... difficult sometimes though...

to remind myself that God considers some guy a "precious soul", when I personally think he's just an ass****.

"The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money."
    - Alexis de Tocqueville, Democracy in America

Tell me not, Sweet, I am unkind,
    That from the nunnery
    Of thy chaste breast and quiet mind
    To war and arms I fly.
    - Lovelace

The opinions expressed by this poster are wholly his own, and should never be construed to even remotely be in representation of his employer, its agencies or assigns. In fact, they probably fail to be in alignment with the opinions of any rational human being.

Hannibal is offline Zombie Killin' Sheepdog
    Verified LEO
    Since I've been in LE, I've realized more and more that God has a sense of humor.

"Stupid should hurt."

213th is offline Solipsist
    I am not in LE, but my brother is. I can not speak for him, however, I have noticed a change in him since he started (just left FTO in Dec). I don't know if it has affected him spiritually or religously as much as it has made him quite cynical. He has that attitude that whoever is driving that car is ____ because ____. I believe that cynicism is going to safe his life though. If he were to be complacent, that would cost him, at least, that is the feeling I get. What do you officers think?

And since some non LE guys have weighed in (or well, unverified. my apologies if you are and just haven't been verified yet) I guess I can throw in that my work in EMS has strengthed my beliefs. I'm not religous, although I believe in God. And I think it is hard not to, when you have watched someone die much to young in a much to tragic way
    Last edited by 213th; 01-25-07 at 12:55 AM.
    He who has the money, signs the cheques.
    He who signs the cheques, makes the rules.
    He who makes the rules, has the power.
    He who has the power, has the money.

jcsdscott is offline The short minister
    Verified LEO
    I am a Baptist minister as well as a deputy and I have to admit that when you look at what we see on a daily basis it does appear bleak, however my faith has been strengthened because I know that I have been placed in my position by God for a reason, even if it is just because no one else wants to do it.

Honestly what was said earlier makes sense "I don't know and neither do you." That actually is the gift that God gives each of us: free will to think, discern and choose. Really thats all that faith is.

lewisipso is offline Injustice/Indifference/In God we trust
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    My faith in God is probably the only thing that makes this job a career for me. It helps me greatly. Without it my career would fall apart.
    Do not war for peace. If you must war, war for justice. For without justice there is no peace. -me

We are who we choose to be.

R.I.P. Arielle. 08/20/2010-09/16/2012

Piggybank Cop is offline Nobody important.
    Religion and LE--How has police work affected your religious beliefs?

Didn't have that many to begin with.

We are the thin blue line
    between you
    and all the money in the world.

And no you can't have any.

CopsRCool302 Guest

Piggybank Cop is offline Nobody important.
    Quote Originally Posted by CopsRCool302 View Post
    And for $29.99 you to can be saved.

I ain't buying.
    We are the thin blue line
    between you
    and all the money in the world.

And no you can't have any.

Thread Information