Welcome to the APBWeb.
    kporotsky is offline Rookie

Question Please help me in my feeble attempts at writing a murder mystery!!!

As a hobby I have been writing a murder mystery. Now I am trying to clean it up to see if I can get it to the point that a publisher would consider it. The problem is that I am not in law enforcement (although I find it fascinating!), so I am sure that I have taken WAY TOO MUCH creative license with regards to how a murder investigation would really progress. Any pointers anyone has would be greatly appreciated!

In particular, if a murderer left a note at a murder scene, would the crime scene investigators automatically take the note and send it to a lab, or would the homicide detectives have the letter in their physical possession to refer on for testing as needed? And would it be fairly automatic that such a note would be run through an ESDA machine to look for latent handwriting impressions, or would that be something that the detective or crime scene investigator would have to specifically request?

Thank you in advance for any insights y'all can give me into investigative reality!

Terminator is offline BANNED
    Though we might be able to assist you somewhat, with you being a completely new member (this your first post), don't expect too many of the LEO's here to open up to you right away, and start spilling their guts.

Also, realize some tactics and investigative techniques won't be discussed for security reasons.

BEK
    BEK is offline Lieutenant
    Verified LEO
    When I arrive on scene I always make sure that the subject is dead. It helps out alot before starting a big investigation. To be serious i agree with Term and post a while before asking about how we do what we do when we do the things we do that you want to know how and when we do it.

Jks9199 is offline The Reason People Hate Cops & Causer of War
    Verified LEO
    Your local community college very likely has a criminal justice program. Invest the time for a few of their basic classes (Introduction to Criminal Justice, Criminal Investigation, and Law, Evidence & Procedure, or similarly titled courses) and you'll have a much better idea what should be happening when, in a perfect world.

Crimebytes2 is offline Banned
    At least kporotsky's being honest about his/her motives for being here (unlike some we know).

osugirlP103 is offline Officer First Class
    go to your local library and check out some non fiction books
    LAW ENFORCEMENT HELPING"PERPS" SLIP DOWN STAIRS SINCE 1766!

phoenixrose is offline Firebrand
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Quote Originally Posted by kporotsky View Post
    As a hobby I have been writing a murder mystery. Now I am trying to clean it up to see if I can get it to the point that a publisher would consider it. The problem is that I am not in law enforcement (although I find it fascinating!), so I am sure that I have taken WAY TOO MUCH creative license with regards to how a murder investigation would really progress. Any pointers anyone has would be greatly appreciated!

In particular, if a murderer left a note at a murder scene, would the crime scene investigators automatically take the note and send it to a lab, or would the homicide detectives have the letter in their physical possession to refer on for testing as needed? And would it be fairly automatic that such a note would be run through an ESDA machine to look for latent handwriting impressions, or would that be something that the detective or crime scene investigator would have to specifically request?

Thank you in advance for any insights y'all can give me into investigative reality!

Other than cleaning up some technical bits and pieces, is the ms close to being finished, kporotsky?

I don't think I can offer advice in this section, but if you PM me, I'll share what I've used in the past that's helped. Also, these kinds of forums are great just for reading and absorbing info, terms, lingo, and scenarios. Wealth of knowledge and experience here.

Good luck.
    phoenixrose
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    If the sex scene doesn't make you want to do it - whatever it is they're doing - it hasn't been written right.~~~Sloan Wilson
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"WHAT canary?"

suncrafter is offline Rookie
    Quote Originally Posted by Jks9199 View Post
    Your local community college very likely has a criminal justice program. Invest the time for a few of their basic classes (Introduction to Criminal Justice, Criminal Investigation, and Law, Evidence & Procedure, or similarly titled courses) and you'll have a much better idea what should be happening when, in a perfect world.
    WOW. That's a smart idea. You might not even need to pay - most instructors don't mind if you sit in on a class as long as you don't ask a lot of questions or use up his/her time. (But you should ask before doing so.)

kporotsky is offline Rookie

Smile Thanks for your suggestions, everybody!

I've already read some nonfiction books on the subject of serial killers and another book called "The Making of a Detective", so hopefully what I've written so far isn't too far removed from reality! Since reading your posts here, I've ordered a book called "Forensics for Dummies" and I picked up another book from the library about what it is like going through the program to become a crime scene investigator. If anyone has any other book suggestions they think would provide good background information for me, it would be much appreciated!

I like the idea of finding a local class on the subject. And if they would let me audit it, that would be ideal! Thanks for the suggestion!

Take care - and thanks again!

Thread Information