Welcome to the APBWeb.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    countybear is offline BDRT - Baby Daddy Removal Team
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Ah, were this the US...

She would have the ACLU, her EEOC representative, and an ambulance chaser on the speed dial of her cell phone. The first time she was passed over for promotion, made to search a hairy woman, or ordered to undergo a psych, she'd immediately group dial.

Come to think of it.. I might convert... ah, damn... no bacon or pork chops? Forget it.

CB

"The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money."
    - Alexis de Tocqueville, Democracy in America

Tell me not, Sweet, I am unkind,
    That from the nunnery
    Of thy chaste breast and quiet mind
    To war and arms I fly.
    - Lovelace

The opinions expressed by this poster are wholly his own, and should never be construed to even remotely be in representation of his employer, its agencies or assigns. In fact, they probably fail to be in alignment with the opinions of any rational human being.

Retmilleo909 is offline Banned
    [QUOTE=bayern;149906]Sir Ian "questioned the validity of the request", Scotland Yard said
    Scotland Yard says personal beliefs must not be put above police duties, after a constable refused to shake hands with Sir Ian Blair.
    The Muslim woman officer refused to shake hands with the Metropolitan police chief on religious grounds.
    ______________________________ ______________________________ _____

To our friends OCS (over choppy seas). What is your take on this?? Not to start a row, just what do ya'll think.[/QUOTE

IMO, she wasn't snubbing Mr. Blair, as muslim women are taught from birth that they're inferior to men and a man doesn't shake hands with a woman in public. She probably would have gladly bowed down and groveled at his feet.
    In the military you don't shake hands with a commissioned/superior officer, you give them a snappy salute. Why not in law enforcement?

Jackalope is offline Yell O
    I was a military officer, and I shook hands with subordinates fairly regularly. They rarely offered their hand, but if I offered mine I was never turned down.

I think the problem is the way she's selectively applying her beliefs. Islam does teach that women should avoid contact (and not just physical contact) with men outside their family. So how can she abide by that and be a cop? She's not even supposed to be outside the house without a male family member as a chaperon.
    "I'm not a coward,
    I've just never been tested
    I'd like to think that if I was,
    I would pass"
    ~Mighty Mighty Bosstones~

conalabu is offline Grasshopper
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by Jackalope View Post

I think the problem is the way she's selectively applying her beliefs.
    That is my problem with the whole thing. She is picking when it is okay. S'okay to nab a perp but not shake the bosses hand? Dumb.
    And Shepards we shall be,
    for thee, My Lord, for thee,
    Power hath descended forth from Thy hand,
    That our feet may swiftly carry out Thy Command.
    So we shall flow a river forth to Thee
    And teeming with souls will it ever be.
    In Nomine Patris, Et Filli, Et Spiritus Sancti.

Quote Originally Posted by Trojan 42 View Post
    I've never liked you.
    Short and sweet.

gozling is offline the gene pool could use a little chlorine
    ummm so....does she ever TOUCH anyone???? how does she pat anyone down or do arrests?
    does she dare take property out of a male subjects hands... ?

im sorry... but thats just fucking dumb.

go find another job.. this one is too 'touchy feely for her'
    http://www.allpoetry.com/Grunts%20Girl

We dallied under
    Vine maples and sapling alders
    Searched for lady slippers
    But instead
    Found blackberry riots and
    Desiccated branches

An old skid road
    Brought ghost ferns and
    Hollows filled with
    Skunk cabbage
    While waves wrapped
    Intricate lacings of weeds
    'Round mule spinners

His cyanotic eyes
    Were hard enough to make
    The sun turn tail and
    Tender enough to attract me
    To his world of illusion

Motorwaycop is offline Retired Plod
    Supporting Member Lvl 2
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    Only 4 yrs, 10 months, and 12 days to go.

The job and most of the people are good, as usual it is the minority of people and the majority of the bosses that are the problem!
    People wonder why I'll be glad to leave!
    the sole advantage of power is that you can do more good.
    ( Baltasar Gracian )

Lazy Fed is offline Curmudgeon
    Quote Originally Posted by gozling View Post
    ummm so....does she ever TOUCH anyone???? how does she pat anyone down or do arrests?
    does she dare take property out of a male subjects hands... ?

im sorry... but thats just fucking dumb.

go find another job.. this one is too 'touchy feely for her'
    can you touch me
    dulce et decorum est pro patria mori

Quote Originally Posted by Resident Smart Ass
    Life is to short not to experience Lazy Fed
    ___ ___ ___
    {o,o} {-.-} {0,0}
    |)__) |)_(| (__(|
    -"-"- -"-"- -"-"-
    O RLY?? YA RLY NO WAI!!!!

The incoherent statements given in my posts DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency or any other person for that matter. They are MY PERSONAL DELUSIONAL FANTASIES and I accept sole responsibility as such as I am either drunk or stressed out of my mind.

Quote Originally Posted by Motorwaycop View Post
    Only 4 yrs, 10 months, and 12 days to go.

The job and most of the people are good, as usual it is the minority of people and the majority of the bosses that are the problem!
    People wonder why I'll be glad to leave!
    How many hours, minutes and seconds?

Checkman is offline What's the nearest cross street?
    Verified LEO
    Well I'm not British, but I've met cops from the Netherlands, Spain and Canada and they're pretty much like we are. So, at the risk of assuming, I wonder if she has any idea that her fellow officers probably hold her in very low regard? What an idiot.

Like one poster said this job is just to touchy feely for her. LOL. I like that.

I will only shake hands on duty with people I know and are not a treat to me. I never shake hands with people I dont know just seems like it could be a saftey issue. No if I had a boss that I did not agree with then I would shake his hadnd any way becuase he is in the chain of command. My oppinon is that when you start the job we are all brothers in arms and all the politics go out the window.

Jks9199 is offline The Reason People Hate Cops & Causer of War
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by Lawdog32 View Post
    I will only shake hands on duty with people I know and are not a treat to me. I never shake hands with people I dont know just seems like it could be a saftey issue. No if I had a boss that I did not agree with then I would shake his hadnd any way becuase he is in the chain of command. My oppinon is that when you start the job we are all brothers in arms and all the politics go out the window.
    On duty, in patrol, I seldom shook hands with people. I'm all too aware of how tying up my right hand can become a problem... As a detective, it depends on the situation. If it's going to help me with an interview or interrogation, I'll shake your hand... But those situations are different from what amounts to passing through a receiving line. In a case like that -- you shake hands or salute as appropriate to the agency culture and the social situation. This Muslim female's justification doesn't make sense; she's going to have to make contact with males whom she's not married to in the course of her duties. I'm willing to bet that she soon seeks other special treatment (extra days off around holidays, or consideration for the various Muslim fasts, or special task assignment due to her religious beliefs come to mind as easy possibilities) -- and the precedent has been set that she's special.

Checkman is offline What's the nearest cross street?
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by Jks9199 View Post
    On duty, in patrol, I seldom shook hands with people. I'm all too aware of how tying up my right hand can become a problem... As a detective, it depends on the situation. If it's going to help me with an interview or interrogation, I'll shake your hand... But those situations are different from what amounts to passing through a receiving line. In a case like that -- you shake hands or salute as appropriate to the agency culture and the social situation. This Muslim female's justification doesn't make sense; she's going to have to make contact with males whom she's not married to in the course of her duties. I'm willing to bet that she soon seeks other special treatment (extra days off around holidays, or consideration for the various Muslim fasts, or special task assignment due to her religious beliefs come to mind as easy possibilities) -- and the precedent has been set that she's special.

Special and worthless. But she dosen't care I bet.

Al Lowe is offline Rookie
    Waaaay back, when I first started working as a security officer, one of the instructors in our state mandated course to be an armed SO, told us, when you're working, if you're armed, NEVER shake hands with some you don't know, who might come up to you with their hand out as a gesture to shake your hand.

He went on to explain, it's a quick way to tie up your gun hand, and even if you're a lefty, he's already got a hold on you, and can exploit it when he wants to, since you're probably not really expecting any trouble.

His next piece of advice, expect trouble ALL the time. He was a Cook County Police officer, so I tried to remember his advice, whenever I worked. I only shook hands with friends, police officers I might meet while on the job, and other co-workers.

But I would NEVER refuse to shake hands with the boss!
    Al Lowe
    Michael Moore is a big, fat, stupid white guy.

markw76 is offline Guy behind the mic
    Based on what I read in the drive-by media, followers of the Religion of Peace seem to take every opportunity to make others bow to their "religious requirements", but do not tolerate anyone else's. IF she was aware of the protocols that go with the chain of command, I'd say her career should be a short one. Barring, of course, additional accommodations to said minority by the current government, which has shown little inclination to stand up for itself in the matter, all due respect to the LEO here from GB.
    "Government is not reason, it is not eloquence, it is force. Like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master. Never for a moment should it be left to irresponsible actions." ~ George Washington.

A Dead Enemy Is A Peaceful Enemy - Blessed Be The Peacemakers.

Jks9199 is offline The Reason People Hate Cops & Causer of War
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by markw76 View Post
    Based on what I read in the drive-by media, followers of the Religion of Peace seem to take every opportunity to make others bow to their "religious requirements", but do not tolerate anyone else's. IF she was aware of the protocols that go with the chain of command, I'd say her career should be a short one. Barring, of course, additional accommodations to said minority by the current government, which has shown little inclination to stand up for itself in the matter, all due respect to the LEO here from GB.
    Ain't it just so, so interesting how they want us to tolerate and respect their beliefs... But we have to conform to their beliefs when we travel, and they have zero tolerance of other's beliefs...

slick628 is offline Rollin' Deep
    Verified LEO
    Depends on the situation and who is requesting to shake my hand. More often than not, I refuse, but again, there are those few exceptions.

jcsdscott is offline The short minister
    Verified LEO
    I shake hands on a case by case basis. Traditional gentleman's protocol states that you remove gloves before shaking hands. Well if it's a mope then that goes out the window. I am a Baptist minister, and I know that makes me a better deputy, however I do not force my beliefs into areas that they don't belong.

lewisipso is offline Injustice/Indifference/In God we trust
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Mother always said wash your hands often. After what I've seen people do with their hands and try to shake I see why. Wash your hands often!
    Do not war for peace. If you must war, war for justice. For without justice there is no peace. -me

We are who we choose to be.

R.I.P. Arielle. 08/20/2010-09/16/2012

Motorwaycop is offline Retired Plod
    Supporting Member Lvl 2
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    In the military you don't shake hands with a commissioned/superior officer, you give them a snappy salute. Why not in law enforcement?
    When I first joined back in 1981 we had to salute anyone above the rank of sergeant if we met them on the street or at some kind of official function.
    We also used to do drill at training school and had a daily parade where our uniform and kit were inspected.
    This carried on to the station where at the commencement of each shift you had to parade and show you had your required kit and were presentable, even down to having the correct black or blue socks! It was the eighties and white was popular!
    The emphasis has now moved away from a military based system.
    They no longer do drill, have to bull boots,press uniform etc.
    You most certainly don't salute anyone now, not even a Chief Constable.
    It's just the way things are, there really isn't much point getting too wound up about it.
    All you can probably say is that things will probably go full circle, things seem to have a habit of doing that in the police.
    the sole advantage of power is that you can do more good.
    ( Baltasar Gracian )

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information