Welcome to the APBWeb.
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5

Thread: Sheriff vs PD

Welpe is offline Wannabe NFL Ref
    I guess square mileage would help: The county I'm talking about is 3300 square miles. That is a lot of county to be covered by three cars!
    "To the German commander: 'Nuts!' The American Commander" - General Tony McAuliffe, 101st Airborne Division

Ken K is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Welpe
    I guess square mileage would help: The county I'm talking about is 3300 square miles. That is a lot of county to be covered by three cars!
    Ouch. We are lucky to have two cars for 730 square miles. One night we had a distubance at a convenience store, attempted suicide, domestic with shotgun, and three accidents with personal injuires in just about every corner of the county. I checked my mileage. I put on 335 miles and I bet I ran almost 300 of it emergency.

Thank God we have I-80 bisecting the county. We can hit that and really make some time.

Darin is offline I'm sooooo gonna score
    Verified LEO
    I can't imagine covering over 3,000 miles with just 3 cars. Seems like that's trouble just waiting to happen.

me again is offline Is it pronounced whore, ho or whoooaaa?
    Quote Originally Posted by Darin
    SO a higher authority? I'm kinda confused on that. So a deputy is a higher authority than a police department patrolman?
    Per the Florida constitution, yes, that is correct. A deputy can go to any crime scene and can announce that the sheriff's office is assuming the investigation and he can lawfully order all other agencies to leave or can have them assist. That never happens, of course.

I can't imagine covering over 3,000 miles with just 3 cars. Seems like that's trouble just waiting to happen.
    Many have been saying that for a while, but it seems the budget just isn't there. Each car has two deputies at least.
    "To the German commander: 'Nuts!' The American Commander" - General Tony McAuliffe, 101st Airborne Division

Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by Welpe
    Each car has two deputies at least.
    Oh ok....that's a lil better.

keith720 is offline Finely Aged
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    As far as the brown uniforms V. blue uniforms, I've never had anyone throw me their car keys and ask me to check their oil and windshield washer fluid!

I have to be honest, though, and admit that on my partime job, I wear blue, and I do actually like it better.
    For the morning will come. Brightly will it shine on the brave and true, kindly upon all who suffer for the cause, glorious upon the tombs of heroes. Thus will shine the dawn.

Winston Churchill

Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by keith758
    As far as the brown uniforms V. blue uniforms, I've never had anyone throw me their car keys and ask me to check their oil and windshield washer fluid!

BWWAAAHHHHAAAAAAAA

My academy uniform was blue...with no patches or anything police related. Now that did look like a Juffy Lube uniform!

Oh ok....that's a lil better.
    Err yeah I should've clarified that.

cntryboy0531 is offline THE five-oh
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by me again
    Per the Florida constitution, yes, that is correct. A deputy can go to any crime scene and can announce that the sheriff's office is assuming the investigation and he can lawfully order all other agencies to leave or can have them assist. That never happens, of course.

Now that I didn't know.

me again is offline Is it pronounced whore, ho or whoooaaa?

Lightbulb

Yes, it's true that in Florida a deputy can go to any crime scene and can announce that the sheriff's office is "takiing over" the investigation, but who in their right mind is going to do that??? Usually the opposite happens and we are trying to pawn off the cases on others. LOL

IMO the deep south and the west have the strongest sheriff departments in the U.S. and the northeast have the weakest. Both sheriff and police departments have their weak points, but IMO sheriff departments are more prone to corruption, due to the politics that take place every four years during the elections. I could be wrong, but that's my impression.

cntryboy0531 is offline THE five-oh
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by me again
    Yes, it's true that in Florida a deputy can go to any crime scene and can announce that the sheriff's office is "takiing over" the investigation, but who in their right mind is going to do that??? Usually the opposite happens and we are trying to pawn off the cases on others. LOL

IMO the deep south and the west have the strongest sheriff departments in the U.S. and the northeast have the weakest. Both sheriff and police departments have their weak points, but IMO sheriff departments are more prone to corruption, due to the politics that take place every four years during the elections. I could be wrong, but that's my impression.

I've heard similar. I can look forward to that in 2008 when elections for sheriff happen again.

chris2001 is offline Captain
    Alright I am locking this down, we have all said what we need to say. We are simply beating a dead horse in and going off topic.
    Being the best is not what always counts. What counts is always trying your best.

Remember who you are, and where you came from. That way you never get a big head.

May those that lost their lives in 9-11 RIP, for the things you did not many could do. You left so many behind so that you could save so few. For now we stand strong as one, and will not look back till the fight is done. (me)

http://www.danasoft.com/sig/Nowwhat%...5Csuphomey.jpg

The opinions given in my posts DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are MY PERSONAL OPINIONS only.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5

Thread Information