Welcome to the APBWeb.
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Sheriff vs PD

Virginian is offline Major
    Supporting Member Lvl 2

Sheriff vs PD

I've been curious about this for some time -

When I lived in North Carolina, I lived in the city limits of Raleigh. We had the Raleigh police department respond to our house if we needed police. Outside the city limits, the county sheriff would respond, or the state police. Here in Virginia, we have a county police department, and the county also has a sheriff's office. What determines if the police force in an area is a "police department" or a "sheriff's office"?

PACMAN is offline Officer
    Quote Originally Posted by Virginian
    I've been curious about this for some time -

When I lived in North Carolina, I lived in the city limits of Raleigh. We had the Raleigh police department respond to our house if we needed police. Outside the city limits, the county sheriff would respond, or the state police. Here in Virginia, we have a county police department, and the county also has a sheriff's office. What determines if the police force in an area is a "police department" or a "sheriff's office"?
    Usually money. Towns that cannot afford a PD will contract out with the S.O. That way they only pay for the car and the Deputy. The S.O. provides the dispatch services

Vendetta is offline Today, We are All Hokies
    Verified LEO
    In the Commonwealth of Virginia there has to be a county-wide referendum to change a Sheriffs Office to a County Police Department. Most of the time only the larger jurisdictions have both. We respond to calls in both towns in our county, both of which have PDs. One town only has one officer so we handle most of the law enforcement there.
    "And don't go home, and don't go to eat, and don't play with yourself. It wouldn't look nice on my highway", Buford T. Justice

#1 Rule in Police: Sometimes its easier to ask Forgiveness than it is to ask Permission

No one knows what it's like
    To be the bad man
    To be the sad man
    Behind blue eyes

Supporting Member Lvl 2
    Ah, that makes a lot more sense now. Thanks guys.

Terminator is offline BANNED
    Quote Originally Posted by Virginian
    Outside the city limits, the county sheriff would respond, or the state police.
    North Carolina has Highway Patrol...not State Police.

Their's actually a difference. State Police perform full law enforcement functions, while Highway Patrol generally only enforce traffic laws and work motor vehicle collisions on the highways.

Supporting Member Lvl 2
    Quote Originally Posted by Terminator
    North Carolina has Highway Patrol...not State Police.

Their's actually a difference. State Police perform full law enforcement functions, while Highway Patrol generally only enforce traffic laws and work motor vehicle collisions on the highways.

You gotta forgive me, I've been a stranger in a strange land for way too long

It's crazy how different Virginia is from North Carolina. The most striking different I've noticed is that cities aren't really inside counties. When I lived in Raleigh, I was in the city limits of Raleigh, but lived in Wake County as well. I went to Wake County schools, but the Raleigh police responded to my neighborhood. Here, I live in a county near Richmond, but I have nothing to do with the city of Richmond except that my address says "richmond, va" and I pay the city for gas (heat, etc). confusing stuff!
    Last edited by Virginian; 01-11-06 at 11:55 AM.

Darin is offline I'm sooooo gonna score
    Verified LEO
    Some area are unique as they have a Sheriffs office AND a Police Department.

In Roanoke city you have a police department who does the patrols and then you have a Sheriffs office that works the jails/courts and does civil process/service. In Roanoke county (which Roanoke city is in but a seperate gov.) you have the same set up. Separate PD from SO.

And as to why? I think it's just a need.

Welpe is offline Wannabe NFL Ref
    Quote Originally Posted by Terminator

For the most part that is true with the California Highway Patrol however in some areas they and the local SO will both take calls.
    "To the German commander: 'Nuts!' The American Commander" - General Tony McAuliffe, 101st Airborne Division

kdm0409 is offline ^ Female Deputy
    Quote Originally Posted by Welpe
    For the most part that is true with the California Highway Patrol however in some areas they and the local SO will both take calls.

The only thing that THP takes care of is traffic related incidents, tickets, accidents, etc....none have been on other calls unless they were in the area and we needed back-up
    It is better to be tried by 12, than carried by 6.
    ______________________________ __________
    An invisible red thread connects those who are destined to meet, regardless of time, place, or circumstance. The thread may stretch or tangle, but will never break.
    ______________________________ __________
    In vino veritas!

Bearcat06 Guest
    In Missouri, police do the police thing.
    Sheriff's Office's are full service LE Agencies out in the unincorporated areas of the County and in the smaller towns that don't have PDs. They also deal with the jail and courts.
    Missouri State Highway Patrol usually sticks to the highways and secondary roads doing traffic enforcement and crashes but they will respond for calls for service if the smaller counties don't have anyone free.....or anyone on.....and back my stupid ass up when I have 20 people fighting and I be the only idiot there...

chris2001 is offline Captain
    Kansas is pretty much the same as Missouri. We have both the PD and SO. If there is a PD in your city they will handle the calls that come in to dispatch. But if there is no city PD then the SO will take those calls. The Highway patrol is going to handle the highways traffic enforcement, accidents and such. The highway patrol in my area though like to go to calls with the SO and the PDs that are around me. So its pretty nice sometimes. Also since our jurisdictions are so screwy right now, we actually are allowed to go a mile or so outside our jurisdiction line to enforce traffic laws and to help back up the SO,HP and if needed the neighboring jurisidictions.
    Being the best is not what always counts. What counts is always trying your best.

Remember who you are, and where you came from. That way you never get a big head.

May those that lost their lives in 9-11 RIP, for the things you did not many could do. You left so many behind so that you could save so few. For now we stand strong as one, and will not look back till the fight is done. (me)

http://www.danasoft.com/sig/Nowwhat%...5Csuphomey.jpg

The opinions given in my posts DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are MY PERSONAL OPINIONS only.

cntryboy0531 is offline THE five-oh
    Verified LEO
    Way our state is setup...

City PD handles calls within the city. However, as a Deputy Sheriff I can venture into the city's and work, just not answer calls. I also answer calls outside of the city. Also here in Florida, only a Deputy Sheriff has arresting authority on a warrant. Most of the time a City PD officer will handcuff and detain, and have a county unit come pick up, take to jail and sign off on the warrant.

County Sheriff's Office here is the Highest LE authority here. We have no State Police, just highway patrol. If a city can't handle a situation the S.O. is called out, and that's who responds. FHP just handles accidents, and runs traffic.

Here, Sheriff's Office is the more sought after position. Much better benefits on average.

Darin is offline I'm sooooo gonna score
    Verified LEO
    SO a higher authority? I'm kinda confused on that. So a deputy is a higher authority than a police department patrolman?

Vendetta is offline Today, We are All Hokies
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by Darin
    So a deputy is a higher authority than a police department patrolman?
    You have seen the light young grasshopper
    "And don't go home, and don't go to eat, and don't play with yourself. It wouldn't look nice on my highway", Buford T. Justice

#1 Rule in Police: Sometimes its easier to ask Forgiveness than it is to ask Permission

No one knows what it's like
    To be the bad man
    To be the sad man
    Behind blue eyes

Verified LEO
    SO a higher authority? I'm kinda confused on that. So a deputy is a higher authority than a police department patrolman?

Yup. As far as I know, I can call off chases they start and other things. But I don't know what those are yet.

The Sheriff and his/her deputies have overall authority through out the County. We don't have a State Police, so Forensics, Homicide, major crimes, are all investigated by the S.O. if a city PD does not have the resources to handle it. Pretty much the only thing a S.O. has the option of turning over is a major vehicle accident to FHP.

I think the only exception to that, is Officer Involved Shootings, which is handled by FDLE. But don't quote me on that, I'm not sure.

My patrol sector when I get there, includes the actual cities. I can go in there and patrol if I wish.
    Last edited by cntryboy0531; 01-11-06 at 09:35 PM.

The Punisher is offline Between Heaven and Hell
    Don't get me even started. Ofcourse the Sheriff's are the best. Best trained, best looking, most authority, most guns, ammo and money. LOL
    Tell them I'm coming, and Hell's coming with me.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v4...LESE/good2.jpg

Iron Man is offline Don't Tase me bro!
    Quote Originally Posted by The Punisher
    Don't get me even started. Of course the Feds are the best. Best trained, best looking, most authority, most guns, ammo and money. LOL

Yep

Wow...the bullshit is getting really deep in here!!!!

Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by The Punisher
    Don't get me even started. Ofcourse the Sheriff's are the best. Best trained, best looking, most authority, most guns, ammo and money. LOL

Darin, Florida does things quite a bit different than most states.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread Information