Welcome to the APBWeb.
    suprbikr99 is offline Rookie

Need some advice......

I'm looking for some advice to help my resume stand out once I start my application process with the FBI. I know that unique resumes will stand out more and you have a better chance of being selected for the academy. I'm currently a college student going for my bachelors degree (in Marketing) and then will be getting a Masters in Marketing and Communication, as well as a Professional Certificate in Homeland Security and Counter Terrorism. I've met with an FBI recruiter and talked with her about my plan and she gave me some great advice on what I've got right and what I can tweak. She suggested getting some volunteer work and special certifications that I can put on my resume to make it stand out. I was just wondering if any former/current FBI agents or other law enforcement officers could give me some ideas. I'll be volunteering with a local K9 search and rescue group this spring, and I've got some other good suggestions, but I wanted to get some more and I figured this would be a good place to do it! Thanks in advance for all the help!

jmur5074 is offline Moderator
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    Well, generally I would suggest Sheriff's Posse, Police Reserves, Volunteer firefighting/medical if you have the certifications. Big Brothers/Big Sisters shows your character....

I guess volunteer ideas that would be geared specifically toward the Federal BI....I dunno. But those are some general ideas.

How about an internship at your local PD,SO, or FBI Field Office??
    No one has greater love than this, to lay down ones life for ones friends - John 15:13

"The Wicked Flee When No Man Pursueth: But The Righteous Are Bold As A Lion".

We lucky few, we band of brothers. For he who today sheds his blood with me shall be my brother.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~
    The opinions, beliefs, and ideas expressed in this post are mine, and mine alone. They are NOT the opinions, beliefs, ideas, or policies of my Agency, Police Chief, City Council, or any member of my department.

CelticCop is offline The Dark Lord
    What you need to know/understand is this... You're dealing with the feds. They use computers to proccess the resumes... You have to have the right weasel words and phrases. If you don't have the minimum number of the words that they are searching for you will get Nowhere. I don't know what they are for the FBI. I suggest going to the website and looking at the announcement and ferreting out the words that they seem to concentrate on...
    "Where's your towel Arthur?" -Ford Prefect

"You! On your knees!" -Green Jello

Some take delight in the carriages a rollin'
    and some take delight in the hurley and the bowlin',
    I take delight in the juice of the barley,
    and courtin' pretty fair maids in the morning bright and early...

"You are, without a doubt, the worst pirate I've ever heard of..." Cmdre. Norrington "Ah, but you have heard of me." Capt. Jack Sparrow

Warning my statements do not reflect the policies, procedures or views of my agency. As a matter of fact, they think I'm just as nuts as you do, so shove it and blow it out of your fart tube.

Virginian is offline Major
    Supporting Member Lvl 2
    Not a cop, but I don't believe we have many FBI folks so I'll offer this - try to get as much accounting as you can. Lots of FBI work involves accounting, and they're always looking for people with experience/education in it. If that's not appealing I would recommend the military for a few years, and/or becoming fluent in a high value language, such as Arabic, Farsi, Spanish, Chinese or anything else you see in the news.

suprbikr99 is offline Rookie
    Wow, thanks for all the responses everyone! Keep 'em coming please because it's all good stuff. A friend of mine that's a police officer also suggested the accounting classes. I've had to take a few to get my bachelors degree, so I understand the basic stuff at this point. I asked the recruiter about taking a language and she said it didn't hold much weight unless you were very fluent, and they prefered people that had spent time in the area that spoke it. But I would imagine it wouldn't hurt to have one though.

E-man is offline No bird but dog and 3 cats
    Verified LEO
    Accounting and language are very important to the Feds.
    Most important is to stay clean from 10 years ago to well forever.
    Staying clean means no bad friends, no late nights oout at the bars, no citations, NOTHING. I would say stay at home and be a hermit but running and classes but u want to volunteer? Volunteer Fire Depts., and the above mentioned stuff...
    A monday morning lunatic, disturbed from time to time. Temporary catatonic madman on occasion..

Lightning crashes a new mother cries, her placenta falls to the floor. The angel opens her eyes,the confusion sets in before the doctor can even close the door..
    The views and comments of E-man are mine and mine alone and therefore might not reflect the views of others or people in my current department. As such since this is still America I can post what I want without fear of retribution. I think.

RIP Eric

Thread Information