Welcome to the APBWeb.
    Mem
    Mem is offline Banned

Do officers teach kids about look alike guns?

Most of us in the general public are quite familar with DARE programs ran by LE. After recent events with an eigth grader and swat I wondered if the average kid is taught about pellet guns/air guns and where they can be used and how. The kid/swat thing was of course a very different situation as the child was behaving very threatening but it made me wonder in general if there are any LE ran programs that visit schools to discuss these types of "fake" guns. Thank you.

Curt581 is offline Whatever
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by Mem
    Most of us in the general public are quite familar with DARE programs ran by LE. After recent events with an eigth grader and swat I wondered if the average kid is taught about pellet guns/air guns and where they can be used and how. The kid/swat thing was of course a very different situation as the child was behaving very threatening but it made me wonder in general if there are any LE ran programs that visit schools to discuss these types of "fake" guns. Thank you.
    Despite what you see in the media, incidents with "fake" of pellet guns resulting in a shooting are statistically very rare.

There are no such programs that I am aware of. Even the DARE program is falling out of favor. The police can't teach kids about every possible subject. That's not our function. Our job is law-enforcement, not parenting.

Iron Man is offline Don't Tase me bro!
    None that I know of.

MountainCop Guest
    None here either that I'm aware of.

chris2001 is offline Captain
    Just like Curt has stated, there is no real need for that type of class yet. The incidents that you are referring to are so isolated that it would not be of any real use. Also programs like DARE within the next year to two years will no longer exist. Through a bunch of studies they have found that it does not work. Also those programs are funded by Federal Grants, and those grants are not being renewed by the Goverment.

Hope this all helps.
    Being the best is not what always counts. What counts is always trying your best.

Remember who you are, and where you came from. That way you never get a big head.

May those that lost their lives in 9-11 RIP, for the things you did not many could do. You left so many behind so that you could save so few. For now we stand strong as one, and will not look back till the fight is done. (me)

http://www.danasoft.com/sig/Nowwhat%...5Csuphomey.jpg

The opinions given in my posts DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are MY PERSONAL OPINIONS only.

Mem
    Mem is offline Banned
    Sorry to hear the DARE program is not working out. I do understand cops are not supposed to be parents but sometimes when learning subjects of any kind it is nice to have the "experts" speak. Also glad that the gun thing is rare. Thanks for the responses.

Quote Originally Posted by Mem
    Sorry to hear the DARE program is not working out. I do understand cops are not supposed to be parents but sometimes when learning subjects of any kind it is nice to have the "experts" speak. Also glad that the gun thing is rare. Thanks for the responses.
    huh!
    Being the best is not what always counts. What counts is always trying your best.

Remember who you are, and where you came from. That way you never get a big head.

May those that lost their lives in 9-11 RIP, for the things you did not many could do. You left so many behind so that you could save so few. For now we stand strong as one, and will not look back till the fight is done. (me)

The opinions given in my posts DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are MY PERSONAL OPINIONS only.

Mem
    Mem is offline Banned
    You seem confused Chris. Let me reword. If I want to learn about something with cooking, it would me nice to have a chef speak. If i want to learn about police then I would want to hear an officer speak. I was just saying that I would have hoped DARE would be more successful for kids to hear from officers discribe what happens as they may have been more responsive to a person in uniform then their parent screaming "don't do dope, you will go to jail". Does that make more sense or should i just zip my lips at this point?

cajunguy is offline I LOVE my ParaOrd .45ACP!
    Verified LEO
    OK, now y'all started something I know a little bit about.

I don't know if there are any other D.A.R.E. Officers (or former ones) on the forum, but let me throw my two cents in on the effectiveness of the program.

I recently finished serving as a D.A.R.E. Officer for sixteen years. If I did not think the program was effective, I would have requested a transfer out of it a long time ago.

Big question: Is D.A.R.E. effective? There are statistics that show it is, as well as statistics that show it's a waste of time and money. I think we all understand that statistics aren't worth the paper they're printed on. EITHER WAY!

Statistics can be manipulated to read whatever you want them to read. The group surveyed, how questions are worded, the specific questions asked, and so on, can determine the results of said survey way before the survey results (statistics) are released.

Does D.A.R.E. work? Maybe another way of asking that would be to ask for percentages. Is D.A.R.E. 100% effective? I wish I could say it is. Realistically, of course, it isn't. There are too many variables involved to be 100%.

Let me add at this point that some of the kids that go through D.A.R.E., didn't need D.A.R.E. to make them productive citizens, because they come from good homes, have caring, loving, effective parents, and are being raised with the right values. D.A.R.E. doesn't make a bit of difference in those kid's lives. They don't NEED it.

On the other hand, some of the kids who go through D.A.R.E. are already lost. All the teaching in the world will not keep those kids off of drugs, and away from the associated life of crime. It is simply too late for them.

The kids that are riding the fence, so to speak, the ones that could go in either direction, are the ones that an effective D.A.R.E. Officer can make a difference with.

I used to give presentations to various civic and parent's groups about the program, and I would always close my talk with food for thought. "If one of you (the group) lost one of your children as a result of substance abuse, whether that substance abuse is dying as a result of an overdose, or was killed by an intoxicated driver, or whatever else, how much would you be willing to pay to have your child back?" Obviously no one can put a price tag on the life of a child. My question now is, "Is D.A.R.E. worth the money spent on it?"

If the D.A.R.E. education saves only ONE child, then I think it is worth every penny ever spent on it.

The D.A.R.E. curriculum is constantly being evaluated for it's effectiveness, and upgraded as needed. We just received an entirely new curriculum about two years ago. It was the third updated curriculum I have taught in the sixteen years I was a D.A.R.E. Officer.

Now, to go back to the original question about firearm education. No, it is not a part of the curriculum, however if a D.A.R.E Officer is truly effective (along with an effective School Resource Officer) (some perform BOTH functions) spends the extra time to work with "his/her kids", they should address such topics. I know when Columbine happened (as well as several other school shootings) I took the time to address the issues involved with my classes. I postponed my D.A.R.E. lessons until the following week so I could talk to my kids about these incidents.

D.A.R.E. does address the issues of violence prevention in the curriculum. D.A.R.E. Officers also should let their kids know that they are there for them, and are always available for the kids to talk to if they have problems. A D.A.R.E. Officer is there as a positive role model for the kids, and building a trust with them. I know that in sixteen years, I have had many of my kids talk to me about issues that were bothering them.

Realize that D.A.R.E. is a PREVENTION program. How do you evaluate or judge the effectiveness of "prevention". Pretty much impossible to do.

However, I feel that I was effective as a D.A.R.E. Officer. I often run into people I taught in D.A.R.E. It makes me feel really good when they come up to remind me that they were one of my D.A.R.E. students. Some of them many years ago.

In fact, I taught a class at the Police Academy yesterday, and guess what. One of the cadets told me that I was his D.A.R.E. Officer in Middle School several years ago.

If you want to know more about D.A.R.E. go to http://www.dare.com

OK, rant off.

The Swamp Mafia -
    "Heaven doesn't want us,
    and Hell's afraid we'll take over!!"

Your right Cajun DARE can be a good thing, But its up to the officer to make it something that can possibly change the kid's lives. When I was in DARE I all the time felt it was a waste, because to many times adults try to sugar coat it. I have actually been asked because I am so close to the high school age group to give some talks. When approached I said not a problem but I want to do it my way, and My way means telling the truth and not beating around the bush. Letting the truth out of the bag about drugs and such. There is no need to sugar coat it, these kids are not stupid. They want you to say it like it is, because if you don't you will bore them to death.

Just my .02.

cajunguy is offline I LOVE my ParaOrd .45ACP!
    Verified LEO
    You'll get no argument from me Chris. I completely agree with you.

One of the reasons for the latest curriculum update was that the Officer was always a lecturer with the older lessons. And you are absolutely correct that it puts kids to sleep. The newest curriculum is much more interactive. There is a lot more "hands-on" stuff for the kids.

Basically the D.A.R.E. Officer is now a facilitator, rather than a lecturer. They also now give a pre- and post-test to the kids, and the post-test results are for the most part much better than the pre-test results are. Simply put, the kids are learning more.

As far as telling it like it is, right again. We aren't going to "Bravo Sierra" these kids coming up today. They KNOW when you are BS'ing.
    The Swamp Mafia -
    "Heaven doesn't want us,
    and Hell's afraid we'll take over!!"

Wise_undergrad_08 is offline Master Officer
    Quote Originally Posted by cajunguy
    However, I feel that I was effective as a D.A.R.E. Officer. I often run into people I taught in D.A.R.E. It makes me feel really good when they come up to remind me that they were one of my D.A.R.E. students. Some of them many years ago.

In fact, I taught a class at the Police Academy yesterday, and guess what. One of the cadets told me that I was his D.A.R.E. Officer in Middle School several years ago.

A while back I ran into my former DARE officer from elementary school and went up to him. I told him how much I appreciated his wisdom and kindness when I was younger.

I grew up in an environment not necessarily supportive of police. (not anti-law enforcement but not supportive either) Before meeting him I had always thought police were just bullies who picked on people. (My father had received multiple DUI's and spent some time in jail. To me this didn't register as my father doing anything wrong, but instead the police just not letting him come home. It took me getting older to grasp the reality of the situation.) He was the first officer I had ever met in person, and I learned that the police were friendly. He was a positive influence in that sphere of life and helped to change my mind. I may have been one of those kids on the fence had it not been for him and later others like him such as my SRO's and Explorer Advisors. Who knows? But, he helped me see the profession in a new light. I told him all this in my explorer uniform (we were there assisting with a memorial for the officers who had been killed in the line of duty that year). I think he (retired at the time but coming back as a guest speaker)was happy to be able to look back and hear and see that he had made a difference in one of his former student's life.

I am now pursuing a career in LE and know that this would not be had it not been for these gentlemen who helped me to see that my perceptions were wrong just by their daily behavior, professionalism, and friendly attitudes and demeanors.

I thanked him and let him know that it was very important to me to be able to do this. Far to often I think LEO's don't hear this, and it shouldn't be this way at all. I'm glad I got the opportunity to be able to turn around years later and let him know that he did make a difference if ever there was any doubt. I'd like much later on in my life to able to look back and feel that I had done the same.
    Last edited by Wise_undergrad_08; 01-15-06 at 03:05 PM.
    "A nation, as a society, forms a moral person, and every member of it is personally responsible for his society."

-Thomas Jefferson, 1792

Cotton candy don't get wet until it's in your mouth.

kdm0409 is offline ^ Female Deputy
    we have stopped using DARE in our school system because of the recent "No child left behind" stuff and since DARE was apparently so restrictive to what you could and could not teach. I am not DARE instructor and I had DARE when I was in I think the 5th grade, I don't remember much about it, but that was during Desert Storm and my DARE instructor went overseas... but when I was in high school I was a DARE role model and went on a few ocassions to teach at a K-6 school way out in the county...

Well, at my school now I get asked by the teachers to come in and teach on certain issues pertaining to what they are covering in class. Last week I went into a class and talked about the consequences to breaking certain laws, next week I have to teach several classes on the 5th amendment,search and seizure laws, and many others...

I have gone into 2 classes this year and spoke to the kids about the dangers of having a "toy" or pellet gun and representing it as a real gun....the only reason I did this was b/c 2 6th grade knotheads had brought a plastic Glock look a like and had taken the orange cap off the end, someone saw it in their bag in their locker...both kids are now at the alternative school..nice to be able to get rid of the pains!! lol
    It is better to be tried by 12, than carried by 6.
    ______________________________ __________
    An invisible red thread connects those who are destined to meet, regardless of time, place, or circumstance. The thread may stretch or tangle, but will never break.
    ______________________________ __________
    In vino veritas!

TXCharlie is offline Former & Future Reserve Officer
    A little girl around Dallas recently got killed by a pellet gun

Girl, 4, dies after 5-year-old cousin shot her with pellet gun
    http://abclocal.go.com/ktrk/story?se...ate&id=3608876

Also the son of our D.A. did some pellet gun drive-by shootings... I still haven't seen any news reports of charges filed on THAT one, but we're hoping that little pain will soon be "up the river" to a lot more than alternative school before he graduates to more firepower.

Last I heard, the County had to bring in a Special Prosecutor because Daddy can't prosecute his own kid - No tellin how much this thing's gonna cost us - Daddy better pay the tab.

Teens arrested for shooting pellet at students
    http://www.zwire.com/site/news.cfm?n...d=528208&rfi=8
    Last edited by TXCharlie; 01-20-06 at 06:20 PM.

(\__/)
    (='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
    (")_(") signature to help him gain world domination.

MountainCop Guest
    Ya know, I remember playing 'Cowboys and Indians' with cap guns that looked real.

Just an observation...

But I agree - we need to teach these kids about gun safety as early as possible. And add in the danger presented by realistic fake guns.

We just had one here in Colorado - kid got popped in the head by a buddy.

Bearcat06 Guest
    Eddie Eagle program ran by the NRA teaches gun safety stuff for kids.....

www.nrahq.org/safety/eddie/index.asp

They also teach a bunch of other kiddie programs....

www.nrahq.org/youth/index.asp
    Last edited by Bearcat06; 01-20-06 at 07:10 PM.

TXCharlie is offline Former & Future Reserve Officer
    Those NRA programs are GREAT!!!!

(\__/)
    (='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
    (")_(") signature to help him gain world domination.

MountainCop Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by TXCharlie
    Those NRA programs are GREAT!!!!
    Totally agree - when the parents let the kids attend.

Thread Information