Welcome to the APBWeb.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Norm357 is offline Corporal
    Supporting Member Lvl 2
    if a NY cop lives in NJ technically he has to put ball ammo in his weapon when he gets into NJ.
    No He doesn't. He would be covered under HR218. That means the weapon and ammo they qualified on.

Federal Law trumps State Law in this case.
    dlefdal said:
    Ummmm, what if I don't like thumbs in my butt?

phantasm is offline Corporal
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by BPunk360 View Post
    i believe that no-one other then NJ police can cally HP ammo in their weapons.. if a NY cop lives in NJ technically he has to put ball ammo in his weapon when he gets into NJ.. does this happen NO... thats why many carry the federal EFMJ (expanding full metal jacket) rounds in their weapons. but technically they are expanding ammo and is still illegal to carry them in your weapon unless a NJ officer... but at first glance they look like Ball ammo.... you just might get hemmed up in court if you have to shoot someone offduty while not being a NJ officer
    A NY cop CANNOT live in NJ.

Kpdpipes is offline Master Officer
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by phantasm View Post
    A NY cop CANNOT live in NJ.
    Sure he can..as long as he doesnt get caught. I have 4 or 5 NYPD guys living in my town.

Verified LEO
    BPunk. You ar eincorrect, Expanding Ammunition is not a problem, what is enumerate IN the statute is only Hollow-nose Ammunition.

Lizzy. it is NOT hard to obtain an FID in NJ. it just takes some time (with the caveat that you are somewhat at the mercy of your local PD Chief..some perform their own ersion of Gun Control by holding up FID/Handgun permits as much as possible..they however are rare). Generally about 3-4 months from when you submit the apps to getting your FID card and initial handgun permit. Remember though that you CANNOT get a carry permit in NJ.

Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by Norm357 View Post
    No He doesn't. He would be covered under HR218. That means the weapon and ammo they qualified on.

Federal Law trumps State Law in this case.
    Yes..and No.. remember that LEOSA doesnt confer any special priveledges on LEO's out of state, and it doesnt grant any LE priveledges either. An out-of state LEO under LEOSA is just the same as a Civilian (and to those who dont like us using that term FOAD), and subject to the same laws. Do YOU really want to be the test case to find out if LEOSA grants you immunity from hollowpoints and more than 10 round magazines???

Norm357 is offline Corporal
    Supporting Member Lvl 2
    Quote Originally Posted by Kpdpipes View Post
    Yes..and No.. remember that LEOSA doesnt confer any special priveledges on LEO's out of state, and it doesnt grant any LE priveledges either. An out-of state LEO under LEOSA is just the same as a Civilian (and to those who dont like us using that term FOAD), and subject to the same laws. Do YOU really want to be the test case to find out if LEOSA grants you immunity from hollowpoints and more than 10 round magazines???
    Yes, but LEOSA specifically states that the off duty or retired Officer must carry the weapon and ammo that he/ she qualified with.

That's going to trump any charge that a Prosecutor may bring.

All this debate is just academic however as I simply cannot see a Cop jacking up another Cop over his gun and ammo.
    dlefdal said:
    Ummmm, what if I don't like thumbs in my butt?

Verified LEO
    There's many problems with how LEOSA is written (clarity). Active off duty officers are covered a little better. Its the retirees that would most likely run into problems with how its written.

Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by Norm357 View Post
    Yes, but LEOSA specifically states that the off duty or retired Officer must carry the weapon and ammo that he/ she qualified with.

That's going to trump any charge that a Prosecutor may bring.

All this debate is just academic however as I simply cannot see a Cop jacking up another Cop over his gun and ammo.
    It's NOT the ther cops that are the problem, it's the County Prosecutors in some counties..Rbidly anti-gun, and there's one or two that LIVE to jack up cops.

Sapper_132 is offline Master Turd Cutter
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    How would it get into the hands of a prosecutor if the cop doesn't jack up the other cop? So I'm sure that there are some out there that would jack me or you up and then the prosecutor could have his day with us.

I'm just not going to go to NY or NJ.
    Just because your sign off after you're shift is done, doesn't mean that it's over and put blinders on. You're a cop 24/7 wether you like it or not. If thats something you can't handle, you should find a new line of work!

Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by tjpuclik2 View Post
    How would it get into the hands of a prosecutor if the cop doesn't jack up the other cop? So I'm sure that there are some out there that would jack me or you up and then the prosecutor could have his day with us.

Off duty out of state gets involved using DPF to defend himself against the same, but his agency has hollow points as his ammo. PD may not make an arrest, but a report is still filed. The prosecuter can then pursue and issue an arrest warrant, etc.

Just an example that COULD happen, not of something that has happened.

Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by tjpuclik2 View Post

#1. If you get involved in a shooting Genius..then the prosecutor is GOING to be involved... I dont know of ANY cop here that would jack up another cop just for carrying.
    #2.. Oh How heartbreaking i'll miss you....not

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread Information