Welcome to the APBWeb.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Kyu
    Kyu is offline Rookie

Angry Firearm laws in nJ, are they fair?

http://www.njguns.com/trivia.htm

I was reading on how to apply for a Firearm permit, and I've noticed it's pretty damn hard to obtain one. I've also noticed some of the law's are non-sensical, and slightly redundant, a few of these tick me off. Such as, BB guns being considered as Firearms, or how all firearms are banned in New Jersey. Just want to see your opinions on this.

~Kyu

k-9max is offline K9 Officer
    Verified LEO
    What happen to "Right to Bear Arms".
    YEAH, IM THE BERRIES, AND CHERRIES IN YOUR REAR VIEW MIRROR.

Handle every stressful situation like a dog.
    Eat it, Play with it, or piss on it, and walk away!

As smart as man is, we haven't been able to invent a machine that can smell drugs or tell us where a person has walked, Dogs are sophisticated investigative tools!

Resident Smart Ass is offline I ASK THE QUESTIONS AROUND HERE
    Verified LEO
    Don't even get me started with this bullshit

The politicians here in NJ are the worst of the worst..we are completely ruled by Democractic dickheads

My problem is how easy it is for criminals to get guns here but for all law abiding citizens, it's a major headache
    Last edited by Resident Smart Ass; 03-20-07 at 11:15 PM.
    Don't you just hate it when someone's balls are hidden so well, they can't seem to find it themselves ~ RSA

You can't avoid gossip & rude words from
    people. You can't please everybody. But remember, they wouldn't bother if you meant nothing.

FOLLOW RSA ON TWITTER (IF YOU'RE GOING TO FOLLOW ME, PLEASE SEND ME A MESSAGE ON HERE WITH YOUR O/R USERNAME AND TWEET USERNAME SO I'LL KNOW WHO I'M ACCEPTING OTHERWISE YOU WILL NOT BE ACCEPTED!)
    https://twitter.com/RESIDENTSMARTAS

A PINT OF SWEAT SAVES A GALLON OF BLOOD ~ PATTON

jmur5074 is offline Moderator
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    Did you know that on 1/10/98 Gov. Whitman signed into law N.J.S. 2C:39-16 which is known as Assembly bill 221, "Leader of Firearm Trafficking Network "? This law makes it a crime to unlawfully sell, transport or dispose of a firearm punishable as a FIRST DEGREE OFFENSE (10-20 years) and up to a $500,000 fine

Uh....yeah, if you're doing it unlawfully, I could see you getting some jail time.

Did you know that its a criminal offense, punishable by a fine and imprisonment, to leave a loaded firearm within easy access of a minor (anyone under the age of 16)?

That's also common sense.

Did you know that under N.J.S. 2C:39-15a, a person is committing a crime of the second degree if he/she trains or demonstrates the use of any firearm to anyone who intends to use the firearm illegally? This carries a penalty of 10 years in jail and up to a $100,000 fine!

In MN it's called aiding and abetting

Did you know that under N.J.S. 2C:39-5e(3) it is a disorderly persons offense to bring a toy firearm to any school (in buildings or even on the grounds) with a maximum jail time of 6 months and $1000 fine?

What? You can't bring ANY guns to a school? Preposterous!

All of these were taken off of the website you posted. Many of them make perfect sense, and do not hamper gun owners in any way. The one's that seem ridiculous to me, are "probably" old, outdated laws that are no longer enforced. I'm assuming.

But maybe njpd can shed a little light on the topic...
    No one has greater love than this, to lay down ones life for ones friends - John 15:13

"The Wicked Flee When No Man Pursueth: But The Righteous Are Bold As A Lion".

We lucky few, we band of brothers. For he who today sheds his blood with me shall be my brother.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~
    The opinions, beliefs, and ideas expressed in this post are mine, and mine alone. They are NOT the opinions, beliefs, ideas, or policies of my Agency, Police Chief, City Council, or any member of my department.

bayern is offline Officer First Class
    Verified LEO
    NJ sucks. It is illegal to have Hollow Points unless you are a Law Enforcement Officer in NJ. No one else. My dept mandats hollow points for duty and off duty. What to do? Just don't go to NJ I guess.

phantasm is offline Corporal
    Verified LEO
    NYC & NJ are on about the same level when you try to get a pistol permit. Its about next to impossible.

Bayern, about the hollow point issue, if yo'ure an active duty office covered under HR218, I don't think the ammo problem applies to you, but I'm not planning on debating the issue here. Its been beaten to death numerous times on both sides of the arguement.

Piggybank Cop is offline Nobody important.
    Firearm laws in nJ, are they fair?

No.

Come to VA.

We are the thin blue line
    between you
    and all the money in the world.

And no you can't have any.

danninator is offline po-leece
    Verified LEO
    heh, I can't even carry off-duty. The difference between me and a "regular" cop. I don't get benefits. I can't even get a ccw to carry as a civilian. The pellet gun I got for plinking with my little brothers from time to time... thats a firearm.
    No life 'til leather gunna kick some ass tonight.

Kpdpipes is offline Master Officer
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyu View Post
    http://www.njguns.com/trivia.htm

I was reading on how to apply for a Firearm permit, and I've noticed it's pretty damn hard to obtain one. I've also noticed some of the law's are non-sensical, and slightly redundant, a few of these tick me off. Such as, BB guns being considered as Firearms, or how all firearms are banned in New Jersey. Just want to see your opinions on this.

~Kyu
    Exactly what do you mean by a "Firearm Permit".. If you eman a Carry permit, then that is well-nigh impossible. If you mean a Firearms ID card, that's not difficult at all. Fill out the forms, get fingerprinted, give them your check, and generally in 6-10 weeks, depending on the department, you get your card. Handgun permits (you need one for each individual handgun you buy) work the same way. Unless your local Chief of Police has a hardon for firearms, and unfortunately this DOES happen, it's just a matter of time. Some places are fast, some are slow. If you have a clean background, and your local PD is REALLY putting up roadblocks, you can go the your nearest NJSP barracks to get your permits, that Have to issue them if the local PD wont without good reason.

As far as some of the restrictions? Yes you're right they ARE ridiculous, BB guns and Black Powder should NOT be classed the same as regular firearms..but they are, so you have to deal with it.

Yes NJ has its problems, but compare it here to Say Mass, where you have to get a CARRY permit just to own a handgun in the first place, or California, where they dictate what KINDS of handguns are legal, and while we dont have it Good, it could certainly be worse.

Sleuth is offline SS/A (Ret.)
    Fair? NO
    Here in the Free State of Arizona, there is: Instant check for gun purchases, no owner iD or registration, no 'permit to buy a gun, shall issue CCW, open carry legal, full autos legal, supressors (silencers) legal - in short, we are free.
    Survival is the only Victory!

Operator13 is offline Just Another Voice
    Civilians also can't have hollow points.

Aren't hollow points actually safer for home defense since they fragment more easily and don't over penetrate?
    "The statements and opinions contained in this communication do not necessarily reflect the official position of the Commission regarding these issues."

Norm357 is offline Corporal
    Supporting Member Lvl 2
    Quote Originally Posted by Operator13 View Post
    Civilians also can't have hollow points.
    Yes they can.
    dlefdal said:
    Ummmm, what if I don't like thumbs in my butt?

TXCharlie is offline Former & Future Reserve Officer
    Quote Originally Posted by Norm357 View Post
    Yes they can.
    Maybe so, but they wouldn't do NJ residents much good without a gun to shoot 'em in.

Solution: Move to Texas or Georgia, huh Norm

(\__/)
    (='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
    (")_(") signature to help him gain world domination.

Operator13 is offline Just Another Voice
    Quote Originally Posted by Norm357 View Post
    Yes they can.
    Are you sure about that ?

I checked the law I could find http://www.state.nj.us/njsp/info/pdf...tle13-ch54.pdf

The only thing I could find there was under 13:54-3.14 (c) where it talks about bullets that can penetrate body armour.

I apologize if I'm mistaken. Can any NJ LEOs verify if civilians are allowed to possess hollowpoints, specifically Hydra-Shoks ?
    "The statements and opinions contained in this communication do not necessarily reflect the official position of the Commission regarding these issues."

TXCharlie is offline Former & Future Reserve Officer
    The way I read that law, it just requires dealers to record transactions of "hollow-nose" sales in 13:54-3.14(b) - But that doesn't mean there's not another law that forbids sales to specific groups of people.

I'd sure hope that Hydra-Shoks wouldn't fall under the steel core provision because their steel pin is not a core, and isn't enough to make it penetrate a vest, unless perhaps it's shot from a rifle to give it more speed - But that's true of FMJ's too.

I've heard of Police Departments in the NorthEast forbidding their cops to carry hollow-nose bullets, though (sometimes incorrectly referred to as "exploding nose" bullets), and all sorts of shit like that, such as some Police Departments limiting their magazine capacity to 10 just like the State's limits on civilian magazines. Any of that true, guys???
    Last edited by TXCharlie; 06-05-07 at 02:29 AM.

(\__/)
    (='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
    (")_(") signature to help him gain world domination.

Kpdpipes is offline Master Officer
    Verified LEO
    There IS a charge under Title 2C (Criminal code) Concerning "Possession of Hollow-Nose Bullets. That said, the ONLY people that have ever been charged under it in my expereince, were shittums that had possessed said bullets during the commission of another crime.. THAT IS NOT TO SAY that some Dem-Antigun Prosecutor WOULDNT charge joe-citizen uder the statute.

LawnMM is offline Oppressor of Crackheads
    Quote Originally Posted by bayern View Post
    NJ sucks. It is illegal to have Hollow Points unless you are a Law Enforcement Officer in NJ. No one else. My dept mandats hollow points for duty and off duty. What to do? Just don't go to NJ I guess.
    My father lives in NJ. What they don't know won't hurt them and I pray that those find out know enough to realize busting my chops about it doesn't make sense. Then again the only way they are likely to find out is if I have to shoot someone on my vacation and in which case its likely the least of my worries.

Beans is offline Street Cop
    Verified LEO
    I grew up in NJ. I miss it! Talk of NJ makes me homesick.
    The opinions given in my posts DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "Beans" on LEF.

BPunk360 is offline Rookie
    Quote Originally Posted by bayern View Post
    it is not illegal to have hollowpoints in NJ .... you can purchase them and shoot them at the range.. its just a law so you get a stiffer sentence if you are caught with them in a weapon that you have illegaly on your person..

also the guy talkin about hydra-shock ammo.. look into other hollowpoint such as Federal HST they are ballistically proven to do more damage and open up more.....

i believe that no-one other then NJ police can cally HP ammo in their weapons.. if a NY cop lives in NJ technically he has to put ball ammo in his weapon when he gets into NJ.. does this happen NO... thats why many carry the federal EFMJ (expanding full metal jacket) rounds in their weapons. but technically they are expanding ammo and is still illegal to carry them in your weapon unless a NJ officer... but at first glance they look like Ball ammo.... you just might get hemmed up in court if you have to shoot someone offduty while not being a NJ officer

Lizzy is offline Rookie
    I was reading on how to apply for a Firearm permit, and I've noticed it's pretty damn hard to obtain one.

I agree with many of the points made....however this I beg to differ with. What is the point of making it 'easy'? So any nut on the street can obtain a permit and carry a weapon? There needs to be some challenges involved.

BTW...have obtained one in NYS....had to just about promise my first born and it took time but I did appreciate the safety in the process.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information