Welcome to the APBWeb.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: K9 Training

Indy Guest
    Alrighty, I'm bowing out of this discussion after this reply.

Lop - those are the wrong reasons to train your dog in this sport IMHO. Those reasons are exactly what gives SchH handlers a bad rap. You don't teach your dog the command "attack" and it certainly is not classified in basic obedience. People spend years of daily training to get anywhere near bite work.

You said you want to teach her obedience...my advice to you is to take your dog to a reputable obedience trainer and teach it what it needs to know: sit, stay, down, come, heel, etc...and IMHO, you should leave it at that.

Good luck with the new pup.
    Last edited by Indy; 01-19-06 at 03:29 PM.

chris2001 is offline Captain
    My advice is to leave all bite work to the LE dogs only. Who cares who coppied who are what. The matter of the fact is that your dog nor you are trained in LE and do not know what Use of Force is about. Therefor you should not have a trained "attack" dog. END OF DISCUSSION.
    Being the best is not what always counts. What counts is always trying your best.

Remember who you are, and where you came from. That way you never get a big head.

May those that lost their lives in 9-11 RIP, for the things you did not many could do. You left so many behind so that you could save so few. For now we stand strong as one, and will not look back till the fight is done. (me)

http://www.danasoft.com/sig/Nowwhat%...5Csuphomey.jpg

The opinions given in my posts DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are MY PERSONAL OPINIONS only.

THE LAW is offline Around the next turn
    After all this if I remember right its a Mal. There is absolutely no way for any amount of money I would train a mal that isnt a police dog to do aggression work for a citizen under any circumstances.

deputy29 is offline Master Officer
    Verified LEO
    My personal dog is obedience trained. She has never had any protection training but when a drunk grabbed me in Texas she grabbed him. You don't have to train a dog in bite work for them to protect you. My dog is very friendly to everyone but you don't touch me without me giving her the OK sign and you don't touch my car.

Also in Washington state your Border Collie would be considered a vicious dog. If a dog will bite when petted, it should not be taken to a public place without a muzzle on it.

You have a lot to learn before you even think about training a dog in anything more than obedience. I would also suggest you consider another breed of dog because you don't have the experience for a Mal.

THE LAW is offline Around the next turn
    I have trained plenty of mal teams. Ill be the first to admit that I am partial to GS. Mals however make great police dogs with the right handler but a citizen shouldnt have them doing any type of aggression work.

Terminator is offline BANNED
    Quote Originally Posted by THE LAW
    I have trained plenty of mal teams. Ill be the first to admit that I am partial to GS. Mals however make great police dogs with the right handler but a citizen shouldnt have them doing any type of aggression work.
    I've been told that G.S.'s are better at tracking, but Mal's are better at biting.

I wouldn't train either to bite unless I was a K-9 handler.

lop
    lop is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by deputy29
    My personal dog is obedience trained. She has never had any protection training but when a drunk grabbed me in Texas she grabbed him. You don't have to train a dog in bite work for them to protect you. My dog is very friendly to everyone but you don't touch me without me giving her the OK sign and you don't touch my car.

Also in Washington state your Border Collie would be considered a vicious dog. If a dog will bite when petted, it should not be taken to a public place without a muzzle on it.

You have a lot to learn before you even think about training a dog in anything more than obedience. I would also suggest you consider another breed of dog because you don't have the experience for a Mal.

============================== ======

Everybody can come into our house he will get licked to death. If a dog regardless what breed it is will bite when he is cornered.

So you say a dog is mean because the owner does not allow a kid to pet the dog.? Can I ask you a personal question? Can i pet you without permission?? Can I pet a kid ( Not family or friend s) without permission? NO. So WHY on earth should every dog agree to it?
    Kid's are coming up to a dog and telling us. Oh your dog is not going to bite me because I have a dog as well.
    We sit on a park bench. Parents do tell their kid's: Oh you can stroke the dog , it is kid's friendly. The dog is on the leash and layingdown.

Can my kid's come to a police dog and pet it out of the blue. without asking first?? What is if a kid is coming to a police dog pets it without permission and the dog is attacking it?? How would you call it??

I personal do NOT allow MY kid's to pet strangers dogs. Why?? Every animal which has teeth can bite. I do not know if the dog is in the mood for getting stroked.

And do tell you the truth.In the books it say's . Border collies do tend to nip and bite . Dog breeder and Dog trainer and owners do make a huge mistake in thinking the big dogs, sheps, dobermans, rottweilers etc,etcetc are mean.

Littles dogs can be as same as mean then the big breeds.

Pudge is online now Site Admin
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Terminator
    I've been told that G.S.'s are better at tracking, but Mal's are better at biting.

I wouldn't train either to bite unless I was a K-9 handler.

I wouldn't say that a Shep is better than a mal at tracking. More methodical yes, but not better. My mal works alot differently on tracking than most sheps do. He started off flying on the tracks (typical mal trait from what I've heard of others' mals) but within a week he learned to slow down and work it, and tracks great. With the exception of some really old tracks (we're talking damn near a day) he can hold his own with my buddy's bloodhound.
    "Like" us on facebook! https://www.facebook.com/pages/Offic...93147194083228

Follow members of O/R as they tweet a "Ride a long" on their shifts on the front page of the site and on twitter at the following links:

www.twitter.com/PoliceRideAlong
    www.twitter.com/lewisipso
    www.twitter.com/ORgopher
    www.twitter.com/SecondChance122
    www.twitter.com/pojmm
    www.twitter.com/ORGIB

The opinions given in my posts & threads DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "Pudge" on Officerresource.com

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread Information