Welcome to the APBWeb.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: K9 Training

lop
    lop is offline Member

K9 Training

Hello all,

. I'm getting tomorrow a Malinois Pup . I would like to bring him in Schutzhund 1,2,3 and American Street Ring. Do we have a Dog trainer here from North East of Florida or close on Florida / Alabama border? I do not mind driving 1 or 2 hours to the course.

Indy Guest
    Ok I'm getting ready to break the rule about replies in AAC so brace yourself. I apologize in advance.

What in the hell is "American street ring?" I've been through a lot of working dog circles and never heard that term. The only other person I've seen use that term was a long ago poster on RP and no one had any idea what they (you?) were talking about.

And what do you mean "bring him in schutzhund 1, 2, 3?" Those are levels. You have a dog in one level until he advances to the next, not all three at the same time.

Pudge is online now Site Admin
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Indy
    Ok I'm getting ready to break the rule about replies in AAC so brace yourself. I apologize in advance.

What in the hell is "American street ring?" I've been through a lot of working dog circles and never heard that term. The only other person I've seen use that term was a long ago poster on RP and no one had any idea what they (you?) were talking about.

And what do you mean "bring him in schutzhund 1, 2, 3?" Those are levels. You have a dog in one level until he advances to the next, not all three at the same time.

American Street Ring, or ASR is another sport that runs along the lines of SCH. The exception being that the evolutions are more realistic to actual protection work. I've only read about it, so I don't know everything about it.
    "Like" us on facebook! https://www.facebook.com/pages/Offic...93147194083228

Follow members of O/R as they tweet a "Ride a long" on their shifts on the front page of the site and on twitter at the following links:

www.twitter.com/PoliceRideAlong
    www.twitter.com/lewisipso
    www.twitter.com/ORgopher
    www.twitter.com/SecondChance122
    www.twitter.com/pojmm
    www.twitter.com/ORGIB

The opinions given in my posts & threads DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "Pudge" on Officerresource.com

Indy Guest
    ...interesting. Must not be big around these parts.

PACMAN is offline Officer
    sorry Indy gotta say.......

Malinois "the Ferari of police dogs"

Pudge is online now Site Admin
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by PACMAN
    sorry Indy gotta say.......

Malinois "the Ferari of police dogs"

Amen brother!
    "Like" us on facebook! https://www.facebook.com/pages/Offic...93147194083228

Follow members of O/R as they tweet a "Ride a long" on their shifts on the front page of the site and on twitter at the following links:

www.twitter.com/PoliceRideAlong
    www.twitter.com/lewisipso
    www.twitter.com/ORgopher
    www.twitter.com/SecondChance122
    www.twitter.com/pojmm
    www.twitter.com/ORGIB

The opinions given in my posts & threads DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "Pudge" on Officerresource.com

lop
    lop is offline Member
    You are right. ASR is more protection work. It is a harder level then Sch. Then we do have the French ring as well.

Photo: This is an awsome photo I love it

My little land shark......

lop
    lop is offline Member
    That's you and your Mal?? Do you have a website with more photos??

No I only do this website, and I am with a much larger agency now....

But since you like her so much here is some more....Brad this color scheme look familiar or were you gone at this point?

THE LAW is offline Around the next turn
    Quote Originally Posted by lop
    Hello all,

. I'm getting tomorrow a Malinois Pup . I would like to bring him in Schutzhund 1,2,3 and American Street Ring. Do we have a Dog trainer here from North East of Florida or close on Florida / Alabama border? I do not mind driving 1 or 2 hours to the course.
    I am a trainer. Are you a cop? If not I would suggest that you stay away from aggression work. The dogs natural aggression will surface as the territory sets in. If you arent LE or have a really good reason for wanting the training its a very very bad idea.

THE LAW is offline Around the next turn
    Interesting last list I had said the mals were the 25th smartest breed. 1st was Boarder Collie, 2. Poodle I believe and 3. GS
    Last edited by THE LAW; 01-18-06 at 08:09 PM.

poodles don't scare me.........But skunks do.....

lop
    lop is offline Member
    Can I copy her and save this nice picture as a background for my deskop??

lop
    lop is offline Member
    I have a Border Collie as well. Yes Border are the ranking number one . They do win in nearly every competition.

now can you train a BC to do the Sch?? I don't think so. BC are watch dogs not guard dogs. That's what I have heard.

Quote Originally Posted by lop
    Can I copy her and save this nice picture as a background for my deskop??
    for a fee.....J/K I don't give a shit, knock yourself out

lepdford is offline K-9 Officer
    I love my land shark as well!!!

Sheps on speed!
    K-9 When the door pops...The bullshit stops!

Go ahead run...I'll even give you a head start!

When the public needs help, they call the Police.
    When the Police needs help, they call SWAT.
    When SWAT needs help, they call K-9!

Duty not Reward

Indy Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by THE LAW
    I am a trainer. Are you a cop? If not I would suggest that you stay away from aggression work. The dogs natural aggression will surface as the territory sets in. If you arent LE or have a really good reason for wanting the training its a very very bad idea.
    Not trying to start something...honestly.

However, I have to respond to that. There are many reasons for training a dog in bite work whether it be personal protection, schutzhund or this "ring sport." Now, I don't know the first thing about the sport he talks of so I won't speak on that. But, regarding schutzhund I will say this. A dog that has been trained when it's appropriate to bite is significantly safer than one who has not had the nerves tested and been trained (to the greatest extent possible anyway) how to tell what a real threat is. A well bred working dog, IME, can tell the difference between a kid jumping over the fence to retrieve a toy and a man jumping over the fence heading for my house. The difference between a bite trained dog and a pet with guarding instincts is how they respond to the man heading for my house. Now, I often tease and joke about what would happen to someone if they broke into my house (since I own three german shepherds). However, the reality of the situation is that none of my dogs, while well trained, are trained in bite work. In all honestly only one of them would, I believe, actively engage someone. Having said that, I seriously doubt she would know what to do in a situation such as that and if the person engaged back she would almost surely back off. She would not know what to do. The training is not there. She would try, I'm fairly sure of that. But in the end she would fail.

I would let a child of mine roll around on the floor with a schutzhund trained dog long before I would let them play with "the neighbors pet malinois or GSD." The vast majority of schutzhund trained dogs are excellent pets at home. They have the breeding and temperment to know when a bite is appropriate and when someone is not a threat. There is absolutely nothing wrong with training your dog in bite work IF you know exactly what you are doing and your dog is of appropriate temperment to handle the stress and rigor of the training. The worst thing in a situation like that is an inexperienced handler attempting to train a middle of the road dog how to "attack someone." I hope that's not the case here, because then I would be inclined to agree with you. The fact that he's looking for a trainer is excellent. The fact that he waited until he got the pup is not good. Hopefully he got it from an excellent proven breeder, but I'm having doubts about that since he's on the internet looking for a trainer. No offense intended to the OP, just an observation. Most working line breeders can refer you to someone in your area.

Indy Guest
    To get you started off though while you are searching for a trainer, I'd recommened going to Leerburgs site and looking into the DVD's on starting a pup. Ed's got some excellent resources there for working dogs, K-9 and Schutzhund both. I would imagine the initial tug and drive building is fairly similar, but that's your call on whether or not it's close enough to invest in the videos.

Terminator is offline BANNED
    That color scheme looks familiar

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information