Welcome to the APBWeb.
    suncrafter is offline Rookie

Question At what age is it legal to leave a child at home without a babysitter?

At what age is it legal to leave a child at home without a babysitter? I know that for practical purposes it depends on the child (some kids are responsible at any age while others require supervision all there lives). But I just want to know what the law has to say about average kids. What's the age limit? I'm in Illinois if that makes a difference.

Piggybank Cop is offline Nobody important.

Because anyone under 30 is a kid; and I hate kids.
    We are the thin blue line
    between you
    and all the money in the world.

And no you can't have any.

Rhino is offline Meat-eater & Fire-breather
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by suncrafter View Post
    At what age is it legal to leave a child at home without a babysitter? I know that for practical purposes it depends on the child (some kids are responsible at any age while others require supervision all there lives). But I just want to know what the law has to say about average kids. What's the age limit? I'm in Illinois if that makes a difference.
    I believe you answered your own question. I don't know, and honestly, I don't think it matters.
    "If everyone is thinking alike, then someone isn't thinking." -Gen. George S. Patton

Hannibal is offline Zombie Killin' Sheepdog
    Verified LEO
    My wife doesn't leave me unattended for too long. I tend to play on the internet and get into trouble.

"Stupid should hurt."

Jenna is offline sheep
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Quote Originally Posted by suncrafter View Post
    This 8-year-old handled things pretty well when he was left home alone (in Illinois)!

jmur5074 is offline Moderator
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    In MN, as in most states I don't believe there is a set age limit. It's based on the maturity level of the child, age, common sense, and all kinds of other factors.

I was able to find this on Illinois:
    What is lack of supervision?
    Illinois law defines a neglected minor, in part, as "any minor under the age of 14 years whose parent or other person responsible for the minor's welfare leaves the minor without supervision for an unreasonable period of time without regard for the mental or physical health, safety or welfare of that minor."
    Juvenile Court Act, 705 ILCS 405/2-3(1)(d)

How long may a child be left alone?
    What is appropriate under certain circumstances may be considered child neglect in other circumstances.

While recognizing that many factors may apply, Illinois law lists 15 specific factors to be considered when deciding whether a child has been left alone for an unreasonable period of time.

http://www.state.il.us/dcfs/docs/alone.doc.

And here are some "guidelines" that the Dakota County, MN county attorney's office uses.
    There is no Minnesota law that states at what exact age a child must be before he or she may be left home alone or left under the care of another child. There are general laws, however, that require adequate and appropriate supervision of children.

The decision to assess the reports of unsupervised children will be made in light of the following considerations, according to Dakota County Community Services policy:

The maturity level of the children;
    The accessibility of the parent, guardian, caretaker or responsible adult by phone or in person;
    The physical or mental health condition of the children;
    The behavioral history of the children;
    Whether a young child is using a stove, iron or appliance which poses a danger because of their age;
    Whether the parents have discussed an escape plan or held a fire drill with the children;
    Whether the residence has a smoke detector;
    Whether there are unusual hazards in the home;
    The children's reaction to being left alone;
    The ages of the children being cared for;
    Whether the child has completed a Baby-sitting Clinic; and
    The reliability of the person that the parent has chosen to provide supervision.

Considering the above factors, the following reports will be assessed:

Reports of children 7 and under left alone for any period of time
    Reports of children ages 8 and 9 who are alone for more than 2 hours
    Reports of children 10 through 13 alone for more than 12 hours
    Reports indicating that children 14 to 17 are unsupervised while parents are absent for more than 24 hours will be screened, considering adequate adult back-up supervision.
    No one has greater love than this, to lay down ones life for ones friends - John 15:13

"The Wicked Flee When No Man Pursueth: But The Righteous Are Bold As A Lion".

We lucky few, we band of brothers. For he who today sheds his blood with me shall be my brother.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~
    The opinions, beliefs, and ideas expressed in this post are mine, and mine alone. They are NOT the opinions, beliefs, ideas, or policies of my Agency, Police Chief, City Council, or any member of my department.

Terminator is offline BANNED

Rhino is offline Meat-eater & Fire-breather
    Verified LEO
    I agree, Brad. All the more reason I think people should have a license to have a child- and be sterilized until they obtain said license.
    "If everyone is thinking alike, then someone isn't thinking." -Gen. George S. Patton

Lazy Fed is offline Curmudgeon
    dulce et decorum est pro patria mori

Quote Originally Posted by Resident Smart Ass
    Life is to short not to experience Lazy Fed
    ___ ___ ___
    {o,o} {-.-} {0,0}
    |)__) |)_(| (__(|
    -"-"- -"-"- -"-"-
    O RLY?? YA RLY NO WAI!!!!

The incoherent statements given in my posts DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency or any other person for that matter. They are MY PERSONAL DELUSIONAL FANTASIES and I accept sole responsibility as such as I am either drunk or stressed out of my mind.

jmur5074 is offline Moderator
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    I love cheesecake.
    No one has greater love than this, to lay down ones life for ones friends - John 15:13

"The Wicked Flee When No Man Pursueth: But The Righteous Are Bold As A Lion".

We lucky few, we band of brothers. For he who today sheds his blood with me shall be my brother.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~
    The opinions, beliefs, and ideas expressed in this post are mine, and mine alone. They are NOT the opinions, beliefs, ideas, or policies of my Agency, Police Chief, City Council, or any member of my department.

Thread Information