Welcome to the APBWeb.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    k9ldypawses is offline k9ldypawses

Smile Hey Foxxymomma50

Quote Originally Posted by foxxymomma50 View Post
    I have a question to those of you who work in LE that have either a knee problem or back problem. First, let me tell you what my problem is.

I broke my right tibia in my leg last year(2006) the day before Easter. I broke it in 2 places. Right at my knee on the right AND left side. It's called a tibia plateau fracture. I had surgery the next day and had a large stainless steel plate and 6 stainless steel screws put in and secured on my shin. I knew I would have problems with my knee for a while but I'm just not sure what I am able to do as far as physical limits. I mostly ignore the pain and always push myself to do what I'm after. Now I'm starting to think this isn't a good idea! When I want something I do everything I can to get it...or achieve my goals. I thought I was doing good(with not making it worse) but I went to the doc last week because it's been bothering me for about 2 months now. I found out that I broke 2 of the screws in there. I also found out there is torn cartilage and ligaments in my knee. I had more corrective surgery today04/2/07). Now I'm in more pain than I was before. And I have to wear a knee brace for a little while. I was supposed to be going to the academy soon but don't know if it would be a good idea yet.I want to get this problem fixed before I go so I won't have to worry about it while I'm in the academy.

Should I wait until I know exactly what will happen with my knee? I want more than anything to be a road officer. I just don't want to hurt myself more and ruin it for myself for the rest of my career before it really even takes off.

Is there anyone that has the same injury or anything that's similar? If so, how do you handle it and can you do your job just as good as those who have no injuries at all? Are there any pointers anyone can give?

Thanks in advance for your advice and help!
    Good Evening,
    In reading your posts I am sadden for you with what you are going through. Your situation brings back memories for me of a situation that occured a long time ago to me...I gave up a dream, a goal. (I had developed this fibromyalgia thing..ugh!) I had put 4 years into my life into working to achieve this goal,(school,training,extra work,time, and lots of energy) just to lose it all.. but I am getting back on my feet and moving forwards now, and achieveing again! I am not an officer,only one with the heart of one.
    But, I am a mom of 3 girls who have achieved from walking the bumpy roads.. Please listen to the advice of your peers. Let yourself heal properly,keep your positive willpower going to strive, and don't let your dreams and goals drift away! You will be a good officer young lady! Have a G.R.E.A.T. evening Foxxymomma50!
    see ya later!
    k9ldy

foxxymomma50 is offline Master Officer
    I knew I wasn't the only one going through this. I thought/was hoping I would get some GOOD advice from the wonderful people on this site. And it was nothing short of great advice. I know I am young and am praying that I get well before it is too late. I thank everyone for the great advice you are giving me! Good luck with anything that comes your way k9ldy!!!!!
    "In three words I can sum up everything I've learned about life: it goes on."

"Not a shred of evidence exists in favor of the idea that life is serious."

"Never be bullied into silence. Never allow yourself to be made a victim. Accept no one's definition of your life; define yourself."

Smile Good Morning Foxxymomma50

I knew I wasn't the only one going through this. I thought/was hoping I would get some GOOD advice from the wonderful people on this site. And it was nothing short of great advice. I know I am young and am praying that I get well before it is too late. I thank everyone for the great advice you are giving me! Good luck with anything that comes your way k9ldy!!!!!
    Hope all is well your way today! Nawww.., you are not alone. There are people in any career choice who are going through turmoil.
    One thing ya have to be alerted about is the onset of depression..I understand very well what depression can do and how it tends to sneak up inside oneself without the person realizing it. I had given away..I mean given freely, my kennel of German Import Shepherds puppies and mom (fully trained) because of my depression! I stopped everything in my life, and worse, I stopped my own self! I had a great beginning into a bright future,I was getting ready to begin a drug detection and security service...but, dropped it all like a hot potato! Depression is awful! The onset of this disease can wreck an entire life before one even had gotten a chance to live it! It "blinds" people with reasoning and decision making..if you sense there is a problem with the way you are feeling, seek help...there are online forums too www.depressionforum.com and are great to get on for a "coping tool". But, I am gaining control of myself again! Thank you for the sincere thoughts! Good Luck Foxxymomma50 towards your ventures in life! Keep your faith going, and your willpower strong! Take care girlie! You are doing great! Have a wonderful day over where ya at!
    Talk to ya later!
    k9ldy

foxxymomma50 is offline Master Officer
    I really appreciate all of your advice. I am looking forward to everything that is ahead for me. And being able to have something to look forward to makes it that much better to make a full recovery. I feel like nothing can stand in my way of what I want but sometimes the physical road blocks can slow things down waaayyyy more than I would like. But at some point in everyone's lives, they come to realize that nothing comes easy. I found that out a long time ago when I became a single mother. To become a mother is easy, but to BE a mother is not. And when you are a single mother, it takes all of your time and effort to make things right. Especially when I had my second child, things got a little tougher. I had to put alot of my schooling, time and work on hold for a little while. Everything I hoped and thought I would have done by now has come a later time than originally planned. But I would NEVER change a thing that I have done. My kids are my world and I wouldn't be the same without them. Now I just need to work my career and training around them. At least I know that in anything I do I will be able to raise them in a loving environment. And they will learn that hard work really does pay off! I was never really taught that growing up. I had to learn alot of the things I know now on my own. But like I said before, If anything would have been different for me, I wouldn't be the person I am today. I am very content with myself at this point. Single mother or not...I know I am the person I truly want to be!
    "In three words I can sum up everything I've learned about life: it goes on."

"Not a shred of evidence exists in favor of the idea that life is serious."

"Never be bullied into silence. Never allow yourself to be made a victim. Accept no one's definition of your life; define yourself."

Smile Good Morning to ya!

I really appreciate all of your advice. I am looking forward to everything that is ahead for me. And being able to have something to look forward to makes it that much better to make a full recovery. I feel like nothing can stand in my way of what I want but sometimes the physical road blocks can slow things down waaayyyy more than I would like. But at some point in everyone's lives, they come to realize that nothing comes easy. I found that out a long time ago when I became a single mother. To become a mother is easy, but to BE a mother is not. And when you are a single mother, it takes all of your time and effort to make things right. Especially when I had my second child, things got a little tougher. I had to put alot of my schooling, time and work on hold for a little while. Everything I hoped and thought I would have done by now has come a later time than originally planned. But I would NEVER change a thing that I have done. My kids are my world and I wouldn't be the same without them. Now I just need to work my career and training around them. At least I know that in anything I do I will be able to raise them in a loving environment. And they will learn that hard work really does pay off! I was never really taught that growing up. I had to learn alot of the things I know now on my own. But like I said before, If anything would have been different for me, I wouldn't be the person I am today. I am very content with myself at this point. Single mother or not...I know I am the person I truly want to be!
    You are welcome for the advice...You certainly have a fantastic "go get 'em" attitude! You are a very strong young lady! It's funny how peoples lives run in a same direction...Your life now, sounds familar to me, dejavu many many years ago..the only thing is I took the depression road for a while. It was tough raising 3 girls by myself, and trying to move forwards in my career, was hard, especially when I was working 3 jobs. (so, you know where I'm coming from) But, a good friend over here at the JSPO, one of my mentors! (He was in gang investigations and street crimes)..gave me some "mind strength training" and my other mentor at the dog training place and forensic center, gave me a lot of emotional support! Friends help "brace" our lives! We keep our own selves directed through choices..
    I had to take these past years to heal and grow! I also have been seeing the "big picture" these past 12 months..Some things I wish I could have changed with the past 5 year , but, like you say, if anything had been different, then I wouldn't be the person I am today, I'm a stronger and better person for it..and thats "a good thing!". And I see it with the results of where my girls are today in life! You have this to look forwards too! And I see my advancement in life, with where my emotions, and thinking power is today! Yes, there are a lot of hills and mountains( ya ever heard that song "mountains" by Lonestar?) (great song!) to climb in life to get to that final point! But, like ya say nothing comes easy without hard work! And I had to learn some hard facts of life emotionally! But it is well worth it, to gain the outcome..contentment and happiness within oneself! Thanks Foxxy!
    Take care and have a wonderful day! Keep on moving in that positive path! Your doing great!
    see ya soon,
    k9ldy

Kpdpipes is offline Master Officer
    Verified LEO
    I used to ride my bike 20 miles a day. I loved it becuase it made me feel refreshed. I haven't rode my bike that far since the injury. I miss riding! Hopefully after I heal from the surgery yesterday, I will be a little better than I was before and be able to do a little more.
    Coordinate EVERTHING you do with your Physical Therapist..that's what he/she is there for, to push you to the healthy limit to allow you to heal, and rebuild strength. Your PT will know what you should or shouldnt do, and also what you are/aren't ready for a LOT better than you can. Take it slow, and Dont rush things..getting old sucks..getting old with injuries that you didnt care for properly sucks MORE.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread Information