Welcome to the APBWeb.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 26
  1. #1
    foxxymomma50's Avatar
    foxxymomma50 is offline Master Officer
    Join Date
    02-22-07
    Location
    Louisiama
    Posts
    450
    Rep Power
    31902

    I need your help/advice!

    I have a question to those of you who work in LE that have either a knee problem or back problem. First, let me tell you what my problem is.

    I broke my right tibia in my leg last year(2006) the day before Easter. I broke it in 2 places. Right at my knee on the right AND left side. It's called a tibia plateau fracture. I had surgery the next day and had a large stainless steel plate and 6 stainless steel screws put in and secured on my shin. I knew I would have problems with my knee for a while but I'm just not sure what I am able to do as far as physical limits. I mostly ignore the pain and always push myself to do what I'm after. Now I'm starting to think this isn't a good idea! When I want something I do everything I can to get it...or achieve my goals. I thought I was doing good(with not making it worse) but I went to the doc last week because it's been bothering me for about 2 months now. I found out that I broke 2 of the screws in there. I also found out there is torn cartilage and ligaments in my knee. I had more corrective surgery today04/2/07). Now I'm in more pain than I was before. And I have to wear a knee brace for a little while. I was supposed to be going to the academy soon but don't know if it would be a good idea yet.I want to get this problem fixed before I go so I won't have to worry about it while I'm in the academy.

    Should I wait until I know exactly what will happen with my knee? I want more than anything to be a road officer. I just don't want to hurt myself more and ruin it for myself for the rest of my career before it really even takes off.

    Is there anyone that has the same injury or anything that's similar? If so, how do you handle it and can you do your job just as good as those who have no injuries at all? Are there any pointers anyone can give?

    Thanks in advance for your advice and help!
    "In three words I can sum up everything I've learned about life: it goes on."

    "Not a shred of evidence exists in favor of the idea that life is serious."


    "Never be bullied into silence. Never allow yourself to be made a victim. Accept no one's definition of your life; define yourself."

  2. #2
    Beans's Avatar
    Beans is offline Street Cop
    Verified LEO
    Join Date
    02-01-06
    Location
    Missouri
    Posts
    3,319
    Rep Power
    5208310
    I broke my arm on duty after a nasty fall with a suspect. I was out of work for about 8 weeks and it still bothers me to this day. I am still able to do this job as well as before. After a long day at the range, I get some pain, but I tolerate it.
    My advice to you is to make sure your knee is completly healed up before starting an academy. The academy is hard and if you blow out your knee before you are ready, you may be out of LE for good. I suggest you find a good PT and get that knee healed up.
    The opinions given in my posts DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "Beans" on LEF.

  3. #3
    foxxymomma50's Avatar
    foxxymomma50 is offline Master Officer
    Join Date
    02-22-07
    Location
    Louisiama
    Posts
    450
    Rep Power
    31902
    Quote Originally Posted by Beans View Post
    I broke my arm on duty after a nasty fall with a suspect. I was out of work for about 8 weeks and it still bothers me to this day. I am still able to do this job as well as before. After a long day at the range, I get some pain, but I tolerate it.
    My advice to you is to make sure your knee is completly healed up before starting an academy. The academy is hard and if you blow out your knee before you are ready, you may be out of LE for good. I suggest you find a good PT and get that knee healed up.
    That's what my main concern is. If I mess it up now before my career REALLY gets going, I wouldn't have a career in LE at all. I don't want that to happen.
    "In three words I can sum up everything I've learned about life: it goes on."

    "Not a shred of evidence exists in favor of the idea that life is serious."


    "Never be bullied into silence. Never allow yourself to be made a victim. Accept no one's definition of your life; define yourself."

  4. #4
    countybear's Avatar
    countybear is offline BDRT - Baby Daddy Removal Team
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Join Date
    01-18-07
    Location
    Louisiana
    Posts
    6,512
    Rep Power
    4611629
    Quote Originally Posted by Beans View Post
    I broke my arm on duty after a nasty fall with a suspect. I was out of work for about 8 weeks and it still bothers me to this day. I am still able to do this job as well as before. After a long day at the range, I get some pain, but I tolerate it.
    My advice to you is to make sure your knee is completly healed up before starting an academy. The academy is hard and if you blow out your knee before you are ready, you may be out of LE for good. I suggest you find a good PT and get that knee healed up.
    +1

    A broken kneecap was the present I got for running down and 'subduing' an escapee from custody back in 1989, (yes, I am old, KMA). I still feel it every once in a while, even though I have been 5X5 otherwise. Regardless of the academy you go to, its going to be active and high-impact. make sure you are fully prepared for that before orientation so that there are no suprises.

    "The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money."
    - Alexis de Tocqueville, Democracy in America

    Tell me not, Sweet, I am unkind,
    That from the nunnery
    Of thy chaste breast and quiet mind
    To war and arms I fly.
    - Lovelace

    The opinions expressed by this poster are wholly his own, and should never be construed to even remotely be in representation of his employer, its agencies or assigns. In fact, they probably fail to be in alignment with the opinions of any rational human being.

  5. #5
    foxxymomma50's Avatar
    foxxymomma50 is offline Master Officer
    Join Date
    02-22-07
    Location
    Louisiama
    Posts
    450
    Rep Power
    31902
    I guess I'm just gonna have to get some good PT! I think I know some good PT I can do!
    "In three words I can sum up everything I've learned about life: it goes on."

    "Not a shred of evidence exists in favor of the idea that life is serious."


    "Never be bullied into silence. Never allow yourself to be made a victim. Accept no one's definition of your life; define yourself."

  6. #6
    Beans's Avatar
    Beans is offline Street Cop
    Verified LEO
    Join Date
    02-01-06
    Location
    Missouri
    Posts
    3,319
    Rep Power
    5208310
    Quote Originally Posted by foxxymomma50 View Post
    That's what my main concern is. If I mess it up now before my career REALLY gets going, I wouldn't have a career in LE at all. I don't want that to happen.
    You don't have to answer if you don't want to, but about how old are you? That is really the thing you have to worry about. If you are in your 20s. then you have a bit of time to get that knee up to par. If you are in your late 30s, then you may have more of a problem.
    The opinions given in my posts DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "Beans" on LEF.

  7. #7
    Willowdared's Avatar
    Willowdared is offline Bendy not Breaky
    Join Date
    04-26-06
    Location
    San Diego
    Posts
    6,177
    Rep Power
    1401352
    I take it you don't have to be medically cleared to attend academy?

    Molly Weasley makes Chuck Norris eat his vegetables.

    Do not puff, shade, skew, tailor, firm up, stretch, massage,
    or otherwise distort statements of fact.
    FBI Special Agent Coleen Rowley

  8. #8
    Beans's Avatar
    Beans is offline Street Cop
    Verified LEO
    Join Date
    02-01-06
    Location
    Missouri
    Posts
    3,319
    Rep Power
    5208310
    Quote Originally Posted by PDawg View Post
    I take it you don't have to be medically cleared to attend academy?

    I know we had to have a full and complete check up.
    The opinions given in my posts DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "Beans" on LEF.

  9. #9
    foxxymomma50's Avatar
    foxxymomma50 is offline Master Officer
    Join Date
    02-22-07
    Location
    Louisiama
    Posts
    450
    Rep Power
    31902
    Quote Originally Posted by Beans View Post
    You don't have to answer if you don't want to, but about how old are you? That is really the thing you have to worry about. If you are in your 20s. then you have a bit of time to get that knee up to par. If you are in your late 30s, then you may have more of a problem.

    Tis' o.k! I don't mind answering. I'm 23...will be 24 in August. I know I'm young! I think i'm too young to have all these rpoblems with my knees and back. I also have 2 buldging discs in my back right at my right shoulder neck area. But I'm more concerned with my knees. With the prob's in my right knee, I'm starting to have problems in my left. I think it's compensating for my right. I feel like I'm 100 or something. lol I just hope I get all of this sh!+ fixed soon!
    "In three words I can sum up everything I've learned about life: it goes on."

    "Not a shred of evidence exists in favor of the idea that life is serious."


    "Never be bullied into silence. Never allow yourself to be made a victim. Accept no one's definition of your life; define yourself."

  10. #10
    foxxymomma50's Avatar
    foxxymomma50 is offline Master Officer
    Join Date
    02-22-07
    Location
    Louisiama
    Posts
    450
    Rep Power
    31902
    Quote Originally Posted by PDawg View Post
    I take it you don't have to be medically cleared to attend academy?


    I haven't had to get cleared yet. I was supposed to go to the academy this month but haven't heard anything about it anymore yet. Maybe next month or the next. But yes...I do believe we DO have to be cleared.
    "In three words I can sum up everything I've learned about life: it goes on."

    "Not a shred of evidence exists in favor of the idea that life is serious."


    "Never be bullied into silence. Never allow yourself to be made a victim. Accept no one's definition of your life; define yourself."

  11. #11
    Beans's Avatar
    Beans is offline Street Cop
    Verified LEO
    Join Date
    02-01-06
    Location
    Missouri
    Posts
    3,319
    Rep Power
    5208310
    Quote Originally Posted by foxxymomma50 View Post
    Tis' o.k! I don't mind answering. I'm 23...will be 24 in August. I know I'm young! I think i'm too young to have all these rpoblems with my knees and back. I also have 2 buldging discs in my back right at my right shoulder neck area. But I'm more concerned with my knees. With the prob's in my right knee, I'm starting to have problems in my left. I think it's compensating for my right. I feel like I'm 100 or something. lol I just hope I get all of this sh!+ fixed soon!
    In that case you have plenty of time. I would say that you give yourself at least one year to get healed up. If it takes 2, so be it. I was 25 when I became an officer. Take care of yourself first.
    The opinions given in my posts DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "Beans" on LEF.

  12. #12
    Retmilleo909 is offline Banned
    Join Date
    10-17-06
    Location
    NW Georgia
    Posts
    1,065
    Rep Power
    0
    "Should I wait until I know exactly what will happen with my knee? I want more than anything to be a road officer. I just don't want to hurt myself more and ruin it for myself for the rest of my career before it really even takes off."

    Ask your orthopedist as to what you should do and what your chances are for a full recovery. If you're not satisfied with his/her answer, get a second opinion.
    When you're up to it PT will help a lot to strengthen both your leg and knee.
    Don't worry dear, I've got a gut feeling that you'll do well and will be driving that patrol car before you know it.
    Good luck and God bless.

  13. #13
    conalabu is offline Grasshopper
    Verified LEO
    Join Date
    05-16-06
    Location
    NC
    Posts
    3,406
    Rep Power
    4019286
    Quote Originally Posted by Beans View Post
    In that case you have plenty of time. I would say that you give yourself at least one year to get healed up. If it takes 2, so be it. I was 25 when I became an officer. Take care of yourself first.

    +1, about the best advice you can give on that one. And Beans should know, he spends a lot of time on his knees.


    Moved to Ask-a-cop.
    And Shepards we shall be,
    for thee, My Lord, for thee,
    Power hath descended forth from Thy hand,
    That our feet may swiftly carry out Thy Command.
    So we shall flow a river forth to Thee
    And teeming with souls will it ever be.
    In Nomine Patris, Et Filli, Et Spiritus Sancti.

  14. #14
    Cidp24's Avatar
    Cidp24 is offline Tempus Fugit
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Join Date
    07-17-06
    Location
    Crossroads of the Sunny South
    Posts
    8,131
    Rep Power
    3999639
    I went through the academy with a knee injury that was much less serious than yours. It felt fine and strong before I went but all the PT inflamed it, made it a painful distraction. Like every body else said, Let your Doc and Physical Therapist know what you hope to achieve and let them advise you. I was told that a stationary or real bicycle is one of the best knee strengtheners after an injury because it is low impact. Might want to ask about that.
    *************************
    "It wouldn't take much for me to up and run...
    to another life somewhere in the sun."
    *************************
    "There's something inherently wrong with having to put on a bullet-proof vest and a gun to go to work."-(An old friend)


    Any statements or opinions given in my postings or profile do not reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employer or anyone else other than me. They are my personal opinions or statements only, thereby releasing my employer , any other entity, or any other person of any liability or involvement in anything posted under the username "Cidp24" on O/R.

  15. #15
    Jks9199 is offline The Reason People Hate Cops & Causer of War
    Verified LEO
    Join Date
    04-16-06
    Location
    Northern VA
    Posts
    4,128
    Rep Power
    6583115
    There are two definitions of "PT" -- and you need them both.

    You need to start with Physical Therapy, with a trained, professional physical therapist, who will help you get your strength, flexibility, and general ability back the quickest and safest way possible.

    You need to complement the physical therapy with Physical Training, once cleared by the therapist. I'd strongly encourage you to invest some time and money with a good sports trainer, ideally one familiar with the rehabilitation process of serious knee and leg injuries.

    You've already discovered that pushing too hard is worse than doing nothing. Spend the next year or two getting yourself physically ready, and getting some useful work experience in another area, whether that's in the departmental administration or something completely different.

  16. #16
    foxxymomma50's Avatar
    foxxymomma50 is offline Master Officer
    Join Date
    02-22-07
    Location
    Louisiama
    Posts
    450
    Rep Power
    31902
    Quote Originally Posted by Cidp24 View Post
    I went through the academy with a knee injury that was much less serious than yours. It felt fine and strong before I went but all the PT inflamed it, made it a painful distraction. Like every body else said, Let your Doc and Physical Therapist know what you hope to achieve and let them advise you. I was told that a stationary or real bicycle is one of the best knee strengtheners after an injury because it is low impact. Might want to ask about that.

    I used to ride my bike 20 miles a day. I loved it becuase it made me feel refreshed. I haven't rode my bike that far since the injury. I miss riding! Hopefully after I heal from the surgery yesterday, I will be a little better than I was before and be able to do a little more.
    "In three words I can sum up everything I've learned about life: it goes on."

    "Not a shred of evidence exists in favor of the idea that life is serious."


    "Never be bullied into silence. Never allow yourself to be made a victim. Accept no one's definition of your life; define yourself."

  17. #17
    sgtpelon's Avatar
    sgtpelon is offline Officer First Class
    Join Date
    11-10-06
    Location
    California
    Posts
    57
    Rep Power
    25092

    Important Medical Records

    After I retired from my first law job, I applied for a new department. After 27 years of police work and Army Reserves, I had a few problems. When I went for my physical, they wanted medical documentation that I was going to be OK. I had a lawyer friend who did medical cases and he told me that when you are cleared by your doctor, it is very important that any serious injuries be declared permenant and stationary. This made my medical hold go away and I am now employed by a new agency. I don't know what department you are applying for, but I would worry more about the bulging discs than the leg. Get that taken care of.

    Just my 2 cents.

  18. #18
    foxxymomma50's Avatar
    foxxymomma50 is offline Master Officer
    Join Date
    02-22-07
    Location
    Louisiama
    Posts
    450
    Rep Power
    31902
    Quote Originally Posted by sgtpelon View Post
    After I retired from my first law job, I applied for a new department. After 27 years of police work and Army Reserves, I had a few problems. When I went for my physical, they wanted medical documentation that I was going to be OK. I had a lawyer friend who did medical cases and he told me that when you are cleared by your doctor, it is very important that any serious injuries be declared permenant and stationary. This made my medical hold go away and I am now employed by a new agency. I don't know what department you are applying for, but I would worry more about the bulging discs than the leg. Get that taken care of.

    Just my 2 cents.
    I am worried that I won't get cleared. But I thought I was just being a worry wart. That's why I'm asking for as much advice as I can get from other LEO's. Trying to see what they have done for their problem. And I'm getting some really good advice! I will take all advice into consideration. I'm sure I will do o.k.! Thank you!
    "In three words I can sum up everything I've learned about life: it goes on."

    "Not a shred of evidence exists in favor of the idea that life is serious."


    "Never be bullied into silence. Never allow yourself to be made a victim. Accept no one's definition of your life; define yourself."

  19. #19
    mavriktu's Avatar
    mavriktu is offline Patrol Sgt.
    Verified LEO
    Join Date
    05-21-06
    Location
    Louisiana
    Posts
    2,849
    Rep Power
    5579119
    At least you are in La.. what with our turnover rates POST is like a bus stop.If you miss an accademy just wait a little bit and another will be right along.
    ]

  20. #20
    Beans's Avatar
    Beans is offline Street Cop
    Verified LEO
    Join Date
    02-01-06
    Location
    Missouri
    Posts
    3,319
    Rep Power
    5208310
    Quote Originally Posted by conalabu View Post
    +1, about the best advice you can give on that one. And Beans should know, he spends a lot of time on his knees.
    Hell yeah!
    The opinions given in my posts DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "Beans" on LEF.

 

 
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •