Welcome to the APBWeb.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    smokey703 is offline I'm Bi-WINNING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Verified LEO
    For as long as I can remember, I wanted to be in law enforcement. But I would have to say it would have to be my Uncle ( by marriage ) who is also my Major. It wasn't anything he did to inspire me really, well unless you consider the fact that he treated me more like a son then my own father did at times but anyway. I was probably about 8 and we were on our way back from a rodeo and he stopped a car that was going the wrong way up the highway. He had an old white L.T.D for a unit with a red rotator on the dash. It was the coolest $hit in the world, atleast for an 8 year old.

Countybear, iso-607, lewisipso, if any of ya'll say a word to him about this I will deny it. And yes he does have a sensative side beleave it or not.
    Wise men stand behind me, brave men stand beside me, but only fools stand against me.

The force that propels you to prevail when you are put to a test of survival will be a mindset that refuses to accept nothing but winning.

Too often, we lose sight of life's simple pleasures. Remember, when someone annoys you it takes 42 muscles in your face to frown, BUT, it only takes 4 muscles to reach out and bitch slap that motherf*cker upside the head.

sgtpelon is offline Officer First Class
    My next door neighbor was an LAPD detective and I thought he was a really cool guy. He didn't talk much about the job, but when I watched Dragnet and then Adam 12, I was hooked. Almost 27 years on LAPD before I retired and it was great.

Bob Loblaw is offline Dwayne Elizondo Mountain Dew Herbert Camacho
    Verified LEO
    In 2002, I was working as a tv sports reporter in Abilene, Texas when a good friend of mine (a reporter at a different station in the same town) was raped and murdered. Still no arrest, although we're all pretty sure who did it (weird boyfriend). Feeling the pain first-hand that comes with a horribly violent crime (especially an unsolved one), I resolved to make it my life's mission to do what I can to aleviate that pain in any way I could. I decided it was time to commit myself to "fighting crime." It all sounds a little naieve (sp?), but I constantly remind myself that what happened to Jen is why I do what I do. I keep a picture of me and her inside my vest and look at it from time to time to remember what evil exists in the world and of my commitment to stop it.

Oddly enough, through that tragedy is how I met my wife (who was Jen's boss) and got together. I have daily reminders of the pain AND the love that happen in life.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jenna
    he (Obama) doesn't have a birth certificate because he wasn't born, he was created in a Muslim witch's cauldron!
    Quote Originally Posted by Buttercup View Post
    I must admit, there have been few pieces of meat I've ever jammed into my mouth that have been as satisfying as Bob's.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gecko45 "The Mall Ninja"
    Vietnam still shudders when it hears the name of a an assasin so skillful and deadly, he is remembered decades later
    Reca is the best thing since sliced bread!

cntryboy0531 is offline THE five-oh
    Verified LEO
    Never had L.E. in my family. Never been in a patrol car prior to the academy.. Never talked to a cop other than on a traffic stop where I got a ticket, and on another traffic crash in a parking lot. My family respected L.E. for the job they done, but most of the time they ended up on the wrong side of L.E., but held no ill will against them, they knew they were doing their jobs, and accepted the responsibility for their actions. Hell, my uncle one time was arrested on an outstanding warrant and turned around to be handcuffed before the deputy even pulled out the handcuffs or gave him commands...

I got interested in Volunteer work with FHP, went to a few meetings, decided FHP Auxillary wasn't for me, but full time local L.E. probably would be. Ran into a problem with my college degree program for computer programming.. learned I couldn't program worth a damn....

Got up from class after making a 49 on the mid term exam, withdrew from the class that night, next day I went and signed up for the academy and sponsored myself. Looked fun, and I needed a good career. Decision I didn't spend a lot of time thinking about. Don't regret it in the least bit. Shocked a lot of family members, but all are supportive of it. Hell, even my uncle who's in and out of jail all the time told me if anyone ever hurt me at work, he'd get himself locked up to go after them in jail. LOL.

He also tells me to be careful out there.

rob84 is offline Did you press the power button?
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Im not an LEO, but I will share why im trying to become one if thats ok. To make a long story short, my uncle, who was more of a father to me than my own father could ever hope to be, committed suicide by cop back in 1993 when I was 9. Of course, I wasnt told the whole story untill I was an adult. Ive had veteran officers who knew my uncle, come up to me and tell me they were sorry that it happened. It was nice to see the other side of the men and women who protect us everyday. When I got in my accident, a police officer that I knew was the first officer at the scene. I knew him because he came into my store and bought parts for his car often. He didnt tell me he was a police officer untill the 5th or 6th time he came in. When he pulled up, I was standing outside of my truck shaking, smoking a ciggarette. He jumped out of his cruiser and yelled "Rob, are you ok bro?" Right after that, I stopped shaking, and I could actually speak calmly. I realized pretty early on that police officers are people as well. And to quote my friend cidp24 " Police officers are just normal people, doing an unusuall job" Speaking with all of the officers on here has made me feel unbelievably welcome and accepted. Iv'e always loved helping people, and doing what I can for another person. Being a police officer is my dream because of that reason.

www.twitter.com/RobKimble1984
    www.facebook.com/robkimble

LAW DOG is offline Law Enforcement, isn't a job it's a brotherhood!!
    Verified LEO
    My Dad Retired U.s Customs Agent, Always Like To Heard His Storys, Always Said That I Wanted To Be A Cop. Now If I Could Only Get Back On The Road This Fed Stuff Sucks.lol
    S.W.A.T Maximum Violents

countybear is offline BDRT - Baby Daddy Removal Team
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    I was too young to remember my Dad being a cop, he had moved into State Government before I was born, but I remember him carrying twin Colt Gold Cups in a double shoulder holster, seeing his badges and memorabilia as a youngster, and hearing him and some of his old friends reminicing about the old days. My big brother, on the other hand, joined the force and was full-time UP, K9, and then Detectives as I grew up. He stayed with us for a while when he and his wife busted up, and I can remember sneaking out of the house and sitting in his car late at night (when he was on days), listening to the radio calls. He was my hero (even moreso than Dad most of the time). I told him so (after we had both became cops). I am glad I did, as those were the last words he and I spoke before he died.

For me, the defining moment was when I was younger, though. There had been a nasty wreck in front of my home when I was a young teenager, about 14 if I remember right. Multiple vehicles, multiple victims, bloody as hell. I was outside working in the yard at the time, saw it happen and ran to the scene after making the call for help. It was chaos. One of the little girls in the crash had been blinded by facial lacerations, she had kissed the windshield pretty hard. She was hysterical. Her big sister was unconscious behind the wheel, with heavily labored breathing. One of the drivers was an old man, arthritic already, he couldn't move. His elderly wife suffered from some obviously broken ribs and a head injury. She kept fighting to get to her husband, but the car was crushed so badly, she couldn't. With fuel leaking everywhere, thick black smoke started boiling out from under the hood of the old man's car. A passerby had stopped and was blankly staring at the carnage when I grabbed him and yelled "help me, Goddamnit!" Long story short, all victims were carefully (but quickly) relocated, stabilized, and ready to go when the ambulance and fire department got there. The first cop on the scene went to work quickly, saw what we were doing, joined in and managed to establish a safe zone, staging the other responders as they arrived. I quickly got the hell out of the way and let them work.

Once all victims were transported and the fire was doused, a few of us stood around for a while (a couple of cops (who had recognized me from knowing my family), a few firefighters from the rescue unit, and a nurse passerby who had stopped, along with the guy I had grabbed earlier. We were 'debriefing' (a concept that I would come to learn later). For those who don't know, its when you stand around recapping the incident and actions taken while waiting on a wrecker to clear up the mess.

The conversation turned to how impressed they were that a 14-year old kid was able to keep his head under those circumstances. One of the firefighters said, "Yeah kid, you need to be a firefighter."

I replied, "Nah... I want to keep stuff like this from happening. I think I'll be a cop."

"The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money."
    - Alexis de Tocqueville, Democracy in America

Tell me not, Sweet, I am unkind,
    That from the nunnery
    Of thy chaste breast and quiet mind
    To war and arms I fly.
    - Lovelace

The opinions expressed by this poster are wholly his own, and should never be construed to even remotely be in representation of his employer, its agencies or assigns. In fact, they probably fail to be in alignment with the opinions of any rational human being.

Doc_Holliday is offline California Dreaming...
    The single most driving force for me, when I was 15 I was a police explorer. On a ride along one night, we found a motorcycle w/rider that had been run over by a drunk driver in an 18 wheeler. Turned out the DOA was the father of a girl I had dated. They gave me the option, and I took it, of going with them for the notification. I knew it was just her and her mom, and I thought in some small way it might help to hear the news from a familiar face. Iwas a sophomore, and after I told her we didnt speak until graduation day. Her and her mom showed up at my house, with a gift. She told me she couldnt have made it thru if not for remembering my friendly face that night. Since then I was hooked.
    500 fights, that's the number I figured when I was a kid. 500 street fights and you could consider yourself a legitimate tough guy. You need them for experience. To develop leather skin. So I got started. Of course along the way you stop thinking about being tough and all that. It stops being the point. You get past the silliness of it all. But then, after, you realize that's what you are.

snuffy2202 is offline JUST ANOTHER TEQUILA SUNRISE
    Verified LEO
    I was going to follow my father and join the Air Force. I was about to join ROTC in college, and even got my orders to attend basic training. However, I just started dated my wife, and didn't want the separation from her for long periods of time. So, instead of serving my country, I decided to serve my city.

keith720 is offline Finely Aged
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    I grew up with a respect for police and the law.I spent most of my life in a small Wisconsin city, population 1100. The police force was the Chief and 2 officers. When I was in High School the Chief hated me. Whenever he could, he made my life miserable. To this day, I still don't know why? I did the usual teenage crap, a little beer, a little pot and such, but I had a job since I was 15, and never stole anything, destroyed anything or hurt anyone. Regardless, he made it a point to hassle me. I was smart enough not to get caught up in anything, but one night he took me down at gunpoint and said he had found dope in my car. Back then, the '70s, that was still a big time felony. I knew it wasn't mine and the search was illegal. About a week later, he pulled me over again, and told me that he decided not to press charges against me and that from then on, if he wanted information, he was coming to me to get it. I told him I was going to keep my nose so clean he'd need a microscope to find any dirt on me. He told me, "If I want to get you on something, I'll get you!" So, to shorten an already long story, I decided that I wanted to get into Law Enforcement if for no other reason than to be a positive influence on the community, and perhaps offset some of the perceptions that a jerk like that caused. In the 30 years I've done it, I hope that I accomplished that once and a while.
    For the morning will come. Brightly will it shine on the brave and true, kindly upon all who suffer for the cause, glorious upon the tombs of heroes. Thus will shine the dawn.

Winston Churchill

Lazy Fed is offline Curmudgeon
    9/11 I want to keep our country clean from terrorists, drugs and dirtbags.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HwyqQtizuJ4

NEVER FORGET!!!!
    dulce et decorum est pro patria mori

Quote Originally Posted by Resident Smart Ass
    Life is to short not to experience Lazy Fed
    ___ ___ ___
    {o,o} {-.-} {0,0}
    |)__) |)_(| (__(|
    -"-"- -"-"- -"-"-
    O RLY?? YA RLY NO WAI!!!!

The incoherent statements given in my posts DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency or any other person for that matter. They are MY PERSONAL DELUSIONAL FANTASIES and I accept sole responsibility as such as I am either drunk or stressed out of my mind.

jato is offline Deputy Sheriff
    Who/what inspired you to become an LEO?

Ben Franklin.

I wanted to be a commercial pilot, but the initial investment was high and the starting pay was low (i.e. commuter airlines).

TwanimusPrime is offline Moving on up...to the east side!
    My story is kinds goofy. But growing up, everyone in school told me I was gonna be a cop because my dad was a cop, so I always resisted it.

Well, Senior year of high school I was working at Taco Bell :P And out of luck of the draw, i was "Sheriff For a Day" on High School career day. I rode with a Lt. from the Sheriffs Office in town. He liked me so he offered me a summer job as a part time Detention officer at the jail. Anything was better than Taco bell, so I took it. And I liked it.

Well, I went off to College as a Biology major (science geek in school) And the first semester kicked my ass. So I had to think, hmmm, ok this isn't gonna work. What should I major?" I figured I liked my job at the jail, so i did Criminal Justice. Started doing a civilian patrol job at UAPD, and really liked it. 7 years later, here I am ^^

And yes, some of it is my father to. He iss a cop, a Lieutenant now. Well, he fucked up at work at lost his job for a few years. The time he wasn't a cop, he was miserable. Then when the Sheriff gave him a second chance and became a cop again, it was amazing how much fullfillment it brought to his life that was missing. Made me think "hmm, must be something to this cop thing."
    Last edited by TwanimusPrime; 05-31-07 at 09:09 PM.

lewisipso is offline Injustice/Indifference/In God we trust
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by TwanimusPrime View Post
    "hmm, must be something to this cop thing."
    Now there's a motto.
    Do not war for peace. If you must war, war for justice. For without justice there is no peace. -me

We are who we choose to be.

R.I.P. Arielle. 08/20/2010-09/16/2012

SANDMAN is offline Master Officer
    Supporting Member Lvl 2
    I wanted to be a cop when i was growing up but i thought i would take the military road first. Gain some experience along the way that i could then use on the streets, but sadly the British police isn't what it used to be, for every person they bring in it is almost 6hrs paperwork to follow.

So when i get out i am moving to the US and joining up there. Bring my skills over with me and to put them to some good use.
    How hard is it to get into Bomb Disposal with in the PD
    If at first you don't succeed, then bomb disposal probably isn't for you.

Never argue with an idiot. They will bring you down to there level and beat you on experience.

Jackalope is offline Yell O
    My story isn't nearly as interesting as anyone else's. I got dumped by a girlfriend in high school at the same time my best friend got a new girlfriend. So suddenly I found myself bored all the time, and needing something to do. I joined an Explorer Post without knowing anything about law enforcement.

Within the first couple ride-alongs, I realized that cops are the kind of people I want to associate with, and patrol work is the kind of thing I'd enjoy doing. So I went to school for it, and joined the National Guard to improve my resume. I just had the misfortune of being born in this state, so I still haven't been hired yet.
    "I'm not a coward,
    I've just never been tested
    I'd like to think that if I was,
    I would pass"
    ~Mighty Mighty Bosstones~

Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Think about moving? I had to.
    Do not war for peace. If you must war, war for justice. For without justice there is no peace. -me

Jackalope is offline Yell O
    If I was single, I'd be on the first bus to Arizona. Hundreds, if not thousands of openings down there. But my wife doesn't want to move. I have applied a little bit in Washington state, because their job market is better. But if none of those work out, I'm pretty much done.
    "I'm not a coward,
    I've just never been tested
    I'd like to think that if I was,
    I would pass"
    ~Mighty Mighty Bosstones~

Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Hope it works out for you.

Beans is offline Street Cop
    Verified LEO
    My dad was a cop in New Jersey where I grew up. He always had lots of exciting stories and I thought it was what I wanted to do. Who knew I would end up in Missouri of all places. I was in the Army and as soon as I got out I applied to one place out here and got hired 4 months later. I was pretty lucky.
    The opinions given in my posts DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "Beans" on LEF.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information