Welcome to the APBWeb.
    carolina is offline Master Officer

Gun Laws In TN & Ky

I don't usually really keep up with gun laws other than knowing what is allowed for personal safety ... like what is allowed to keep at home, for the protection of an intruder.

I'm supposed to go see my son this weekend and I really don't like going that far and staying in a hotel alone without something. When my ex and I were together I never thought anything about it, or if someone were going with me.

My question is: Is is legal to have a pistol on the seat as long as it is not concealed in TN & Ky? Since I will be traveling through TN to Ky? I was just curious? Once I get there it will be in the room in my luggage there is NO way I'm taking it on base with all those M16's pointing at me.

I'm sorry I put this in the wrong place ... it's too early, not enough coffee .... mods can you move it?
    Last edited by carolina; 05-31-07 at 05:51 AM.

Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. - Leo Buscaglia

snuffy2202 is offline JUST ANOTHER TEQUILA SUNRISE
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by carolina View Post
    My question is: Is is legal to have a pistol on the seat as long as it is not concealed in TN & Ky?
    Tennessee and Kentucky have pistol permit reciprocal agreements with North Carolina. If you have a North Carolina Pistol permit, you can carry your pistol in the car with you in those states.

If you do not have a North Carolina pistol permit, you cannot carry it in the passenger compartment. Even if it is in plain view, it is considered concealed in a vehicle. You must carry it unloaded in the trunk of your vehicle.

countybear is offline BDRT - Baby Daddy Removal Team
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    I'm sorry I put this in the wrong place ... it's too early, not enough coffee .... mods can you move it?
    Moved to Ask-a-cop. Thanks, carolina.

"The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money."
    - Alexis de Tocqueville, Democracy in America

Tell me not, Sweet, I am unkind,
    That from the nunnery
    Of thy chaste breast and quiet mind
    To war and arms I fly.
    - Lovelace

The opinions expressed by this poster are wholly his own, and should never be construed to even remotely be in representation of his employer, its agencies or assigns. In fact, they probably fail to be in alignment with the opinions of any rational human being.

Quote Originally Posted by snuffy2202 View Post
    Tennessee and Kentucky have pistol permit reciprocal agreements with North Carolina. If you have a North Carolina Pistol permit, you can carry your pistol in the car with you in those states.

If you do not have a North Carolina pistol permit, you cannot carry it in the passenger compartment. Even if it is in plain view, it is considered concealed in a vehicle. You must carry it unloaded in the trunk of your vehicle.
    I didn't have time to say thanks before leaving so, I wanted to take the time so say "thank you" for answering my question. I appreciated it.

Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. - Leo Buscaglia

Quote Originally Posted by countybear View Post
    Moved to Ask-a-cop. Thanks, carolina.
    Thanks, I felt like an iddiot after I seen where I posted this.

armygrnt502 is offline Making my streets safer, one day at a time
    Verified LEO
    It would be best if you had a CCDW permit. Keep it in your trunk if you dont...when you get to the base (since you prob already have been) you run the chance of getting your vechilce searched and sniffed by dogs.

If you have a permit and the correct papers, it should not be a problem. I was stationed at Fort Campbell (my assumption as to where you are going) for 7 years and even after 9/11 they havent really changed.
    "Sometimes people need a little help. Sometimes people need to be forgiven. And sometimes they need to go to jail."

s10ryan is offline Rookie
    goto www.packing.org
    very good site to all the carry laws!

wprebeck is offline Rookie
    Don't know about Tennessee, but in Kentucky, one may have a pistol in the glove box without it being considered "concealed". That's defined as the "regularly installed" glove box, and a center console doesn't count as one.

See the official rules and details (and thanks for playing) at www.kentuckystatepolice.org . There's a Concealed Weapons section and FAQ on that site, since they're responsible for the issuing of CCW's here.

Quote Originally Posted by armygrnt502 View Post
    It would be best if you had a CCDW permit. Keep it in your trunk if you dont...when you get to the base (since you prob already have been) you run the chance of getting your vechilce searched and sniffed by dogs.

If you have a permit and the correct papers, it should not be a problem. I was stationed at Fort Campbell (my assumption as to where you are going) for 7 years and even after 9/11 they havent really changed.
    Yep, already been ... I don't have CCW permit. We had to get a permit when we purchased the gun, back in ??? and lord only knows where that is now. My ex kept up with all that, he did leave the gun for me, for protection for me and my daughter along with a Remington 870 Mag.

I've been thinking about signing up for the CCW class but the only time I would ever use it would be going out of State. I know in NC you can transport it if you leave it out in the open and do not conceal it. This is not something I normally do anyway so I hardly ever think about it.

The first time I went to Ft. Campbell they had about four soldiers with M-16's and pulled me to the side and searched my vehicle top to bottom even took mirrors and looked underneath ... kinda freaked me out, went through one duffel bag ... which was fine, nothing was in it but some games my son asked me to bring. (but that was his graduation and they were pretty much doing everyone the same way too)

They were very annal about insurance cards too, I guess I don't pay too much attention to that here because all the info is on the registration card ... I finally found mine, but here all they usually ask for is license and registration, so my insurance card kinda gets tossed but now that my son is in the military i keep it with everything else too.

Thread Information