Welcome to the APBWeb.
    cmysprks is offline Rookie

job interview on the 15th

I have an oral intervew on the 15th of june, what should I expect ? I have already passed the Entry Police Written examination. I dont own a suit so will a button up shirt with a tie, dress pants and freshly polished shoes work? The interview is for a couminty service officer position.(officer in training) Any advice would be great.
    Thanks in advance
    Anthony

smokey703 is offline I'm Bi-WINNING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Verified LEO
    My oral interview consisted of a phone call asking if I wanted a job, so I don't have much to offer as far as that goes. But I don't see why your dress attire wouldn't be good enough. Good luck anyway.
    Wise men stand behind me, brave men stand beside me, but only fools stand against me.

The force that propels you to prevail when you are put to a test of survival will be a mindset that refuses to accept nothing but winning.

Too often, we lose sight of life's simple pleasures. Remember, when someone annoys you it takes 42 muscles in your face to frown, BUT, it only takes 4 muscles to reach out and bitch slap that motherf*cker upside the head.

iso607 is offline Sergeant
    Verified LEO
    I don't think what you wear will be as important as what you say. Just stay calm and answer thier questions as honestly as you can. Try not to read into thier questions too deep. Most are looking for a simple, honest, "what would you do" answer.

Good luck to you.

TXCharlie is offline Former & Future Reserve Officer
    The Oral Board I had last weekend to be a Reserve cadet was very tough - They grilled me till my butt burned and then they flipped me over and grilled me some more!

The scenarios they gave me were rather simple in retrospect, but I had four people shouting at me the whole time, and they all questioned each and everything that came out of my mouth - That was very unnerving and caused me to make mistakes and leave things out trying to answer their rapid-fire questioning and critisims, because I've never experienced anything like that - but I'll know what to expect next time.

I think if I'd just rattled off a list of what I would do step-by-step and not tried to process and respond to everything they were shouting at me, I would have passed - The shouting was a huge distraction simply because I wasn't prepared to deal with it.

I failed miserably, but they graciously invited me to do more ride-alongs in the city, and encouraged me to re-take it next year, both of which I intend to take them up on. Everyone shook hands with me and were very nice to me at the end, and we all walked away friends.
    Last edited by TXCharlie; 06-06-07 at 09:19 AM.

(\__/)
    (='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
    (")_(") signature to help him gain world domination.

KaiGywer is offline *insert witty remark here*
    Verified LEO
    Good luck on your interview. While what you're wearing is probably good enough, you can get a suit for 100-200 bucks at a JCPenney's or similar. Might put you above the other guy, who knows.
    Alpha Phi Sigma Alum - Alpha Delta Chapter
    ΑΦΣ

smokey703 is offline I'm Bi-WINNING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Verified LEO
    I just bought a suit for under $ 100 at wal-mart
    Wise men stand behind me, brave men stand beside me, but only fools stand against me.

The force that propels you to prevail when you are put to a test of survival will be a mindset that refuses to accept nothing but winning.

Too often, we lose sight of life's simple pleasures. Remember, when someone annoys you it takes 42 muscles in your face to frown, BUT, it only takes 4 muscles to reach out and bitch slap that motherf*cker upside the head.

gozling is offline the gene pool could use a little chlorine
    Look everyone in the eye and rotate amongst the panel even if you dont know the answer. Dress conservative and yet dont appear to be arrogant.

If you are a civi they are not expecting you to have the answers exact for the senarios.. however it will show your level of common sense so to speak...

when you sit keep your feet flat on the floor, dont cross your legs or your arms... stay open.

When it came time for me to ask the panel a question.... which they said... "you can ask each person on the panel a question.. go ahead"
    mine was...
    "if you could describe yourself as any animal what would you say best describes you and why"... it was different and stuck out.. they liked it and we got lots of laughs from it...
    out of 469 people I was first in the interview...

just be yourself....relax and show them you are a normal person with great qualities... think of what your best personality assets are and try to expose them if you can when it is appropriate.

I know i could get away with my question sort of because I was a girl... lol.. but anyway...

show confidence and yet dont be cocky

hope that helps and good luck...
    http://www.allpoetry.com/Grunts%20Girl

We dallied under
    Vine maples and sapling alders
    Searched for lady slippers
    But instead
    Found blackberry riots and
    Desiccated branches

An old skid road
    Brought ghost ferns and
    Hollows filled with
    Skunk cabbage
    While waves wrapped
    Intricate lacings of weeds
    'Round mule spinners

His cyanotic eyes
    Were hard enough to make
    The sun turn tail and
    Tender enough to attract me
    To his world of illusion

jmur5074 is offline Moderator
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    Get a suit.
    No one has greater love than this, to lay down ones life for ones friends - John 15:13

"The Wicked Flee When No Man Pursueth: But The Righteous Are Bold As A Lion".

We lucky few, we band of brothers. For he who today sheds his blood with me shall be my brother.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~
    The opinions, beliefs, and ideas expressed in this post are mine, and mine alone. They are NOT the opinions, beliefs, ideas, or policies of my Agency, Police Chief, City Council, or any member of my department.

Jks9199 is online now The Reason People Hate Cops & Causer of War
    Verified LEO
    Get a suit.
    Or at least a jacket.

It's a fact of life. In the US, at least, any reasonable fascimile of an adult male should own, at the very minimum, a decent pair of khaki-type slacks, a white shirt, a tie, and a sports jacket. Ideally, you should have at least one suit as well. Buy a dark one. It'll stand you in good stead for funerals and other occasions as well as job interviews.

For this interview -- look at it this way. Do you want to be the guy they remember for sending the subliminal message that he's not taking the interview seriously because he dressed down -- or the guy that they remember for looking sharp, even though he didn't have to? As an applicant, unless specifically told not to do so -- I always wore a suit or coat & tie even to the written tests. I even changed between a PT test and the written test in at least one case when they were given on the same day.

(And, for PT tests... Invest in plain, clean, and intact workout clothes! It's less than $30 for a plain t-shirt and sweats at any of several stores...)

Quote Originally Posted by jmur5074 View Post
    Get a suit.
    Thank you for the help I just picked up an new suit. Iam glad I did, I just found out all alppicants get to meet with the chief right after the oral interview. Thank you guys all again

Anthony

jmur5074 is offline Moderator
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by cmysprks View Post
    Thank you for the help I just picked up an new suit. Iam glad I did, I just found out all alppicants get to meet with the chief right after the oral interview. Thank you guys all again

Anthony
    Good luck!!
    No one has greater love than this, to lay down ones life for ones friends - John 15:13

"The Wicked Flee When No Man Pursueth: But The Righteous Are Bold As A Lion".

We lucky few, we band of brothers. For he who today sheds his blood with me shall be my brother.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~
    The opinions, beliefs, and ideas expressed in this post are mine, and mine alone. They are NOT the opinions, beliefs, ideas, or policies of my Agency, Police Chief, City Council, or any member of my department.

I just wanted you guys to know I passed the the oral interview now its a waiting game. I just want to thank all of you guys/gals for all your help
    Anthony

countybear is offline BDRT - Baby Daddy Removal Team
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by cmysprks View Post
    I just wanted you guys to know I passed the the oral interview now its a waiting game. I just want to thank all of you guys/gals for all your help
    Anthony

"The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money."
    - Alexis de Tocqueville, Democracy in America

Tell me not, Sweet, I am unkind,
    That from the nunnery
    Of thy chaste breast and quiet mind
    To war and arms I fly.
    - Lovelace

The opinions expressed by this poster are wholly his own, and should never be construed to even remotely be in representation of his employer, its agencies or assigns. In fact, they probably fail to be in alignment with the opinions of any rational human being.

Thread Information