Welcome to the APBWeb.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 21 to 40 of 40
  1. #21
    CHARTOTO's Avatar
    CHARTOTO is offline Officer First Class
    Join Date
    06-02-07
    Location
    Ramona, OK
    Posts
    78
    Rep Power
    14400
    well thanks for all the posts, I'm sure more will follow. I really have wanted to be a cop all my life, just wish now I suppose I would not have waited..

  2. #22
    CHARTOTO's Avatar
    CHARTOTO is offline Officer First Class
    Join Date
    06-02-07
    Location
    Ramona, OK
    Posts
    78
    Rep Power
    14400
    Quote Originally Posted by Iron Man View Post
    My reason: I needed a decent paycheck to support my family.

    I had a small interest as a child but LE found me more then I found LE...
    how is that> "I had a small interest as a child but LE found me more then I found LE?"

  3. #23
    Jenna's Avatar
    Jenna is offline sheep
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Join Date
    06-11-06
    Posts
    24,158
    Rep Power
    4764594
    Quote Originally Posted by CHARTOTO View Post
    how is that> "I had a small interest as a child but LE found me more then I found LE?"
    LE found him when he was a fugitive?

  4. #24
    Cheech Guest
    I did it to give the fire department a hero

  5. #25
    Terminator's Avatar
    Terminator is offline BANNED
    Join Date
    12-03-05
    Location
    None of your business
    Posts
    16,064
    Rep Power
    0
    I did it to help people, until I got on the job, and realized how much of a joke that was, for the most part.

  6. #26
    BEK's Avatar
    BEK
    BEK is offline Lieutenant
    Verified LEO
    Join Date
    01-02-06
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    2,101
    Rep Power
    3397444
    I wanted to be a cop because I thought to myself Golly gee I really want a job where people yell at me, call me names, say im harassing them because they are (insert race here) Constantly hear about how they know so and so and that they are gonna have my badge. Also I thought that babysitting was a great profession and that I would like to take care of children the rest of my life. There is alot of vomit, piss and shit but the only difference is I dont have to change diapers just hose out the back of my car and you cant forget about the constant crying. Also that ever since you were little you always wanted to go into a place and hear "i didnt do it" or "arrest that guy" or "jim they finally gotcha" but the real reason i wanted to become a cop is on my days off I love when someone finds out that I am a police officer and then they decides that for some stupid ass reason I wanna listen to their "this one time I got stopped" story and end it with "can cops really do that".....Thats what I would tell them


  7. #27
    besafe2 is offline Rookie
    Join Date
    01-02-06
    Location
    NC
    Posts
    73
    Rep Power
    27163
    Former leo here
    Why not just answer the question the best you can. Maybe do a lot of thinking. Some one elses reasons are not yours.
    Please stay safe in all you do, also know I pray for each of you daily. Thank you for all you do. On Twitter at
    www.twitter.com/coachrowsey

    Paul

  8. #28
    CHARTOTO's Avatar
    CHARTOTO is offline Officer First Class
    Join Date
    06-02-07
    Location
    Ramona, OK
    Posts
    78
    Rep Power
    14400
    well i received word yesterday, i have got pass two hurdles, next up..... lie dector test, i will pass that... well i hope anyways.. next will be the MIPI phys test..

  9. #29
    Trojan 42's Avatar
    Trojan 42 is offline Retired Ninja
    Verified LEO
    Join Date
    05-18-06
    Location
    Twixt the Moor and the Sea, England
    Posts
    3,003
    Rep Power
    4327268
    I became a cop for the vast salary and the respect the job engenders. ..................No wait, that can't be it. I became a cop until I could find a proper job. ......Yes, that's the one.
    To be born an Englishman, is to be a winner in the Lottery of Life.



    I've Talked the Talk and I've Walked the Walk, now I Sit the Sit!

    It's not until you look at an Ant through a magnifying glass on a sunny day, that you realise just how often they burst into flames for no reason!

  10. #30
    Iron Man's Avatar
    Iron Man is offline Don't Tase me bro!
    Join Date
    12-07-05
    Posts
    1,959
    Rep Power
    130316
    Quote Originally Posted by CHARTOTO View Post
    how is that> "I had a small interest as a child but LE found me more then I found LE?"
    I needed a job and they were hiring so I applied. Not because I wanted to be a cop or I would die
    This message was brought to you by Tampons. We
    aren't the best thing in the world but we are right up
    there next to it.


    To them its always 'scary and aggressive' driving. To us its at times a matter of life and death." -LawnMM

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DmYie3bB3OU

  11. #31
    00z28's Avatar
    00z28 is offline Ghetto Jedi
    Verified LEO
    Join Date
    06-17-07
    Location
    Memphis, TN
    Posts
    11
    Rep Power
    0
    I grew up hearing all the stories my dad told about the job. Sorta fell in to it. Best job evah!

  12. #32
    Pedro56's Avatar
    Pedro56 is offline Englewood Ranger/Infidel Extraordinaire
    Verified LEO
    Join Date
    05-18-06
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    2,107
    Rep Power
    3876339
    Because I always wanted to be a zoo keeper
    http://www.lawenforcementforums.com/forums/signaturepics/sigpic763_2.gif

    "I am the guy that keeps Mister Dead in his pocket." -'Mad' Max Rockatansky

    "An Englewood Ranger is no stranger to Danger.." -Unk

    Good Night Chesty Where Ever You Are.

    A Good Friend will bail you out of jail, but a true friend will be sitting next to you in the cell saying, "That was Awesome."

    God Made Police Men so Fireman Would Have Heroes.

  13. #33
    mavriktu's Avatar
    mavriktu is offline Patrol Sgt.
    Verified LEO
    Join Date
    05-21-06
    Location
    Louisiana
    Posts
    2,847
    Rep Power
    5559833
    Because ,as a juvenile,I spent so much time in a police station ,that as an adult I wanted to be paid for it

  14. #34
    tapout's Avatar
    tapout is offline keepin it gangsta'
    Verified LEO
    Join Date
    02-08-06
    Location
    east coast
    Posts
    1,554
    Rep Power
    1618722
    i wanted a job that i could look forward to going to every day. i needed something that i was truly interested in, something that was exciting. i wanted a job that would challenge me daily. i wanted a job suited to my abilities. i didnt want to be stuck behind a desk making other people money, i wanted to be out in the community, meeting people, making things happen. i love not knowing what to expect, i love the fact that every day i could experience something that may change me forever, and i love the commraderie (spelling), and the brotherhood.
    in the warriors code there's no surrender, though his body says stop, his spirit cries...NEVER. deep in our souls, a quiet ember, knows its you against you, its the paradox that drives us all. its a battle of wills, in the heat of attack, its the passion that kills, and victory is yours alone.


    the posts and opinions stated by me do not in any way reflect the values, beliefs, or views of my department. they are simply opinions and/or observations which have been developed through my personal experiences. hell, most of the stories probably arent even true...wink wink

  15. #35
    Dan334's Avatar
    Dan334 is offline BOHICA
    Join Date
    06-04-07
    Location
    Southern US
    Posts
    12
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by CHARTOTO View Post
    Hello all,

    This is for the LEO'S.
    I am in the process of becoming a LEO and when they ask me why I want to be a police officer, I am not sure what to say. What would/did you say?
    Thanks
    A very good question, actually.

    A (very) long time ago when I travel the 185 miles to headquarters for my interview I had no idea what to expect. I was from a very small, very "country" town and at the time, the Superintendent of State Police personally interviewed all candidates that made it that far in the process. Sitting in an almost silent hallway waiting to be called was pretty nerve-wracking and no one had even a hint what to expect.

    My name was finally called and I was ushered into the Colonel's office by his secretary who essentially, to this point, was the only person to have any contact with the candidates. I was told to have a seat across from the largest desk I'd ever seen and after an eternity of watching the Colonel (a bear of a man who looked like he could eat nails) go over my file he just laid it down, looked directly at me with a scowl and said, "boy, just what the hell makes you think you can make a State Policeman?".

    I'm sure the stunned look on my face gave away the fact that the question and the manner he asked it took me completely by surprise. For some reason I now cannot fathom, I just sort of blurted out, "Colonel, the job pays $100.00 a month more than I'm making now and I really need it. If you give me a chance, I give you my word you'll never regret it".

    Now, he had the stunned look. He rocked back in his chair, gazed up at the ceiling for a while and said, "you know, I think you're the first honest man to come through that door today, you've got your chance and I'm gonna' hold you to your word.

    Honest to God, my heart was pounding so hard I damned near failed the physical which, I found was set up immediately next door (had to get checked by the 2nd doctor after the 1st found my pulse off the charts).

    I've always wondered what would have happened if I'd blew the same sunshine up his rear he was accustomed to but thankfully, I'll never know.
    "Stupidity's not a crime so, you're free to go..."

  16. #36
    BigRich is offline Big Irish Sausage
    Join Date
    08-31-06
    Location
    Oklahoma...We have trees...
    Posts
    206
    Rep Power
    89287
    Quote Originally Posted by CHARTOTO View Post
    Hello all,

    This is for the LEO'S.
    I am in the process of becoming a LEO and when they ask me why I want to be a police officer, I am not sure what to say. What would/did you say?
    Thanks

    Because I like being spit on, called names, pissed on, puked on, payed next to nothing, shot at, run from by some moron who doesn't want a ticket, lied to (by everyone. Turds lie to try and stay out of jail, victims lie due to embarrassment, and regular folks lie because they think it's cool to lie to the cops), and generally disrespected by pretty much everyone.

    But other than that, this is the best job on the planet, and I can't imagine myself doing anything else. Because every now and again, I actually get to really help someone, and that makes all the difference to me.

    Please note, that while the first part of my answer is sarcastic in nature, it is unfortunately a true and accurate description of what will happen if/when you get on the job. So be ready for it.
    BR

    BigRich@LawEnforcementForums.c om


    Fresh Cope, It Satisfies, Since 1822

    Freedom is not free, it requires great sacrifice. The price is paid in blood.



  17. #37
    CHARTOTO's Avatar
    CHARTOTO is offline Officer First Class
    Join Date
    06-02-07
    Location
    Ramona, OK
    Posts
    78
    Rep Power
    14400
    thanks for all the replies, I am currently waiting word on the next step. All looks good, however I have changed from the Bartlesville, OK City police reserve to the Washington County Reserve. I had an interesting meeting with the Captain of the Bartlesville Police Reserve. Thinking about why I wanted to be a LEO, I think the County Deptuy RO would give me a better chance to patrol more, that is my goal. To patrol, that would get me out in the county versus just the city limits of Bartlesville.

    All good replies, thanks too all!!!

  18. #38
    CHARTOTO's Avatar
    CHARTOTO is offline Officer First Class
    Join Date
    06-02-07
    Location
    Ramona, OK
    Posts
    78
    Rep Power
    14400
    Quote Originally Posted by BigRich View Post
    Because I like being spit on, called names, pissed on, puked on, payed next to nothing, shot at, run from by some moron who doesn't want a ticket, lied to (by everyone. Turds lie to try and stay out of jail, victims lie due to embarrassment, and regular folks lie because they think it's cool to lie to the cops), and generally disrespected by pretty much everyone.

    But other than that, this is the best job on the planet, and I can't imagine myself doing anything else. Because every now and again, I actually get to really help someone, and that makes all the difference to me.

    Please note, that while the first part of my answer is sarcastic in nature, it is unfortunately a true and accurate description of what will happen if/when you get on the job. So be ready for it.
    I have heard about this, I am hoping it won't happen, however I have not buried my head in the sand. I am sure it will. Thanks for the warning.

  19. #39
    gopherpuckfan's Avatar
    gopherpuckfan is offline I'm from the government and I'm here to help
    Verified LEO
    Join Date
    02-02-07
    Location
    Twin Cities, MN
    Posts
    2,744
    Rep Power
    1716948
    My reasons-

    I always had a facination with police while growing up. However, in high school, I was sure I was going into Computer Science. My first year of college was for Computer Programming. But, I can't stand to stare at a screen all day and figure out where I missed a comma that's fucking up my program. I also get restless pretty easily, so a cubicle job is not for me.

    I went on a ride-along with my next door neighbor and loved every minute of it. I finally got my act together after a couple more years of screwing around in school, dropping out for a few years, then going back. I realized when I was volunteering as a Reserve Officer that this is what I wanted to do until retirement.

    The pay is good, the benefits excellent, and the job has significant meaning for society. I worked customer service jobs for 9 years before I got into this. I love working with and helping people (most of the time). I love not knowing what I'm going to be doing five minutes into the future.
    The views expressed in the above post are the sole opinion of the author and do not reflect any official position by the author's employer and/or municipality.

  20. #40
    Big-Mo is offline Banned
    Join Date
    02-02-06
    Location
    St Louis, Missouri
    Posts
    131
    Rep Power
    0
    I get SO TIRED of hearing people say that I joined to help the poor people who I can help and be of service ! 'B S'....
    Come on people, be truthful with yourselves, not for using in front of the interview board BUT
    We all joined the police to be the uniform PoPo and the thrill of the authority of the job, the excitement from answering calls and dealing with the everyday S*** B*** !! Every call and situation is different and varying and you get rewarded with car and foot pursuits and 'reaching out to touch someone!!' We love the uniform and equiptment and weapons along with getting into scraps so PLEASE, don't tell other cops like us here that it is solely for helping out citizens. The ONLY time they want us is when they or their family are in trouble. Remember the Poll!! They don't have a clue !!
    Save that line for the panels who interview for acceptance...and believe me, they are thinking, he is naive, let him on and learn !!

 

 
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •