Welcome to the APBWeb.
    TXCharlie is offline Former & Future Reserve Officer

Age Discrimination in Federal Jobs

This isn't a police question, but it's a military question so many of you may know...

I've been out of work for about a month, so I ran across a civilian programming job I seem to qualify for in the US Navy Recruiting Office in Dallas, but they said unless I'm like 17-39 years old, I can't be hired.

SO I was asking him WTF is that all about - I'm not going into combat, it's a desk job! - The officers of a private business would be put in prision for age discrimination like that!

He told me it's because of the Military Retirement system - I can't possibly put in 20 years to retire. I told him I didn't want to retire, I want the job - I can pay my own Social Security & I have 401(k)'s so why do I need a Military pension? But he said there was NO WAY.

So are ALL Federal jobs this screwed up, or just some of them? What determines this? Would I encounter the same B.S. if I found a civilian job I would otherwise be qualified for with the FBI, DHS, or something like that?

(\__/)
    (='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
    (")_(") signature to help him gain world domination.

Lazy Fed is offline Curmudgeon
    You can work for CBP, we have no age limit that stop hiring at, as long as you can pass everything.
    dulce et decorum est pro patria mori

Quote Originally Posted by Resident Smart Ass
    Life is to short not to experience Lazy Fed
    ___ ___ ___
    {o,o} {-.-} {0,0}
    |)__) |)_(| (__(|
    -"-"- -"-"- -"-"-
    O RLY?? YA RLY NO WAI!!!!

The incoherent statements given in my posts DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency or any other person for that matter. They are MY PERSONAL DELUSIONAL FANTASIES and I accept sole responsibility as such as I am either drunk or stressed out of my mind.

BigBossMan is offline Officer First Class
    Verified C/O
    I work for the Federal Prison system. As i understand it, all Federal Jobs have an age cut off of 37 years old. They will not hired anyone over the age of 37 just because of what you were told. They want Longevity.

I called my Congressman about this and asked him to intervene - He probably won't, but he might at least look at some type of legislation.

Private businesses want longevity too, but they're prevented by law from practicing age discrimination - It figures that the Federal Government doesn't abide by its own laws, but they expect everyone else to (so what else is new, the bunch of assholes!).

Thanks for the tip Lazy Fed... I'll look & see what jobs Customs/BP might have.

(\__/)

Jks9199 is offline The Reason People Hate Cops & Causer of War
    Verified LEO
    It's not all federal jobs -- but I know that federal law enforcement has an age cut off at 37, due to the retirement system. They did waive some of that for FAMs, but I'm not sure if that's still in effect. They do sometimes credit military service somehow.

PersiusOne is offline Patrol Monkey
    From what I understand, due to a mandatory retirement program in fed positions, they have an age cut-off. I've been told that time-served in military positions can count towards credit in age requirements for federal positions.
    The opinions expressed in this post do not reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency, Police Chief, or any other member or employee of my department or municipality.

Big Sexy is offline Not your mothers BIG SEXY
    Verified LEO
    A lot of agencies have a age cut off of 37 for certain positions. Military time will not waive this or counts toward it.

Examples of these agencies are"

FBI
    USSS
    ICE
    DEA
    ATF
    USPIS
    USMS
    USBP
    FAMS
    IRS/CID
    AFSOI
    NCIS
    DSS
    OIG's from various departments, such as DHS, DOJ, etc

FAMS were allowed at during the initial start up to waive the 37 age limit to 40, in certain cases. You had to be very damn high speed to get it waived. It no longer is in effect.

USBP was granted permission last year to raise the limit to 40, but BIG isn't certain if it is still in effect.

Now, just because one agency waives it and hires you, doesn't mean other agencies have to honor it, if you attempt to go to another agency with the same restriction.
    Don't Be Afraid To Fail.

No Tengas Miedo Al Fracaso.

Kpdpipes is offline Master Officer
    Verified LEO
    It's not just the Feds Charlie. NJ Currently has a hiring cap of 35 (Up to 40 if you have appropriate military or other pensionable time that can be bought back) because we have a mandatory retirement at 65, and a pension max of 30 years. There are some who are looking to change that now to a max age of 40, since we have a Minimum elligibility time of 25 years for our pension. The point is, they wont hire someone who, because of age wont be elligible to recieve the fullest pension benefit possible.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Sexy View Post
    A lot of agencies have a age cut off of 37 for certain positions. Military time will not waive this or counts toward it.

Examples of these agencies are"

FBI
    USSS
    ICE
    DEA
    ATF
    USPIS
    USMS
    USBP
    FAMS
    IRS/CID
    AFSOI
    NCIS
    DSS
    OIG's from various departments, such as DHS, DOJ, etc

FAMS were allowed at during the initial start up to waive the 37 age limit to 40, in certain cases. You had to be very damn high speed to get it waived. It no longer is in effect.

USBP was granted permission last year to raise the limit to 40, but BIG isn't certain if it is still in effect.

Now, just because one agency waives it and hires you, doesn't mean other agencies have to honor it, if you attempt to go to another agency with the same restriction.
    Fucking Federal Government!

After carefuly explaining the type of jobs I was talking about (civilian desk jobs, NOT combat jobs), my Congressman's office left a voicemail and said that the age limits are in place due to combat requirements.

So Monday I'm gonna have to call them back and explain it all over again.

This is the type of shit that causes people to want to never pay another dime in income taxes. Maybe they should just take me out behind the barn & shoot me since I've outlived my usefullness.

(\__/)

TXCOP is offline Officer First Class
    Quote Originally Posted by TXCharlie View Post
    Maybe they should just take me out behind the barn & shoot me since I've outlived my usefullness.
    The line forms behind me, guys.....
    "Somewhere a True Believer is training to kill you.
    He is training with minimum food or water, in austere conditions, day and night.
    The only thing clean on him is his weapon.
    He doesn't worry about what workout to do---his rucksack weighs what it weighs, and he runs until the enemy stops chasing him.
    The True Believer doesn't care "how hard it is"; he knows he either wins or he dies.
    He doesn't go home at 1700; he is home.
    He knows only the Cause.
    Now, who wants to quit?"

"I am only one, but I am one. I can not do everything, but I can do something. And because I can not do everything I will not refuse to do the something that I can do. What I can do I should do. And what I should do, by the Grace of God, I will do."

Edward Everett Hale

Quote Originally Posted by TXCOP View Post
    The line forms behind me, guys.....
    Ha... Ha...

(\__/)

Thread Information