Welcome to the APBWeb.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Just KC is offline Who?......Me?
    Quote Originally Posted by conalabu View Post
    You do that in my department, you will not get in the car. If you can not look like you give a shit about you, we won't either. Dress like you are trying to make an impression on a future boss. I want to be able to tell sombody you are a detective and have them believe it.
    That is the dress code here when doing ride-alongs...(jeans and t-shirt with tennis). If you are an applicant, they dont allow ride alongs until towards the end. They want you in clothes that you can run in (if need be)....and in shoes you wont be upset about if you have to walk through muck.
    ~Karie

"I used to care
    but now I take a pill for that"

CHARTOTO is offline Officer First Class
    I suppose I should call him and ask.

smokey703 is offline I'm Bi-WINNING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Verified LEO
    Calling wouldn't be a bad idea, but you usually can't go wrong with BDU pants, a shirt identifying you as L.E. ( polo, t-shirt, or whatever is permitted ), and a comfortable pair of boots.
    Wise men stand behind me, brave men stand beside me, but only fools stand against me.

The force that propels you to prevail when you are put to a test of survival will be a mindset that refuses to accept nothing but winning.

Too often, we lose sight of life's simple pleasures. Remember, when someone annoys you it takes 42 muscles in your face to frown, BUT, it only takes 4 muscles to reach out and bitch slap that motherf*cker upside the head.

TXCharlie is offline Former & Future Reserve Officer
    In most of my ride-alongs in my town, we mostly just rode around & answered minor calls for 12 hours.

However, in Dallas it was totally different - We went to arrest an aggravated assault suspect, who not only had threatened to shoot his mother, but lied about who he was.

The whole damn family on the father's side lied to our face about who he was (claimed it was his brother) - in spite of every tattoo description listed on the warrant matching his. Only after the Dallas cop arrested him & was hauling him back to the county jail did he admit who he was. That cop wasn't fooled for one second - He didn't bat an eye about all the confusing crap his family was spewing out.

I had to sit in the BACK seat of one car, and the suspect got to sit in the front seat of the other car (reason: Dallas police cars STILL don't all have cages, and neither the car on the scene had one. I had to switch to a car that had a fragile type of computer rack, so standing orders are that everyone except the driver has to ride in the back in those cars - But suspects all have to ride up front in cars without cages, so those cars can't haul suspects at all).

Then I got to see the Dallas County booking process - It was just like a free clinic, except with locked doors in places, but the exam rooms were little compartments with curtains, with nurses doing health screens. That took forever, and of course we had to follow it every step of the way till he was in jail - Not what I expected!

Then we got to take a report on a car burglary at a motel - I assumed this guy would NEVER be caught, but as soon as one of the Dallas cops heard a vague description of the getaway car, we raced halfway across town straight to the guy's house, and he took off running through a ditch in the back yard - The cop knew EXACTLY who it was due to past encounters - Impressive!!!

We also did several motorist in distress calls on the freeway, and found one very angry woman walking down the freeway service road by herself - She was pissed at us because we stopped her to see if she needed help after her husband reported that she was crazy and off her meds (she wasn't, he called the police because he wanted to piss her off - She said he does that every time she leaves after an arguement). Sheesh - Like the Dallas police don't have better things to do!

(\__/)
    (='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
    (")_(") signature to help him gain world domination.

Cheech Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Terminator View Post
    Who was that, huh?
    some desk officer

Jks9199 is offline The Reason People Hate Cops & Causer of War
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by Just KC View Post
    Originally Posted by Autumn2009
    Don't get in the car and the first thing out of your mouth be, have you ever shot anyone?

Dress professionally. Ask well thought out questions. Watch what's going on around you. Know where you are. Don't take silence personal, most officers are used to riding around for 12 hours alone.
    I just wanted to comment on the *dress professionally* thing....not sure if it differs...but here we wear jeans, tennis and long sleeve shirt or jacket. I wouldn't go in wearing heels or dress shoes LOL
    Instead of "professionally", I'd say dress appropriately. You're going into the LEO's "office", and you're going to be there for several hours. Dress neatly, and conservatively. Be prepared for the weather. It's summer now, so a polo shirt or sweatshirt (no profanity) might be fine. Jeans are usually okay around here.

You might consider bringing a small pad and pen, especially if you're considering a job in law enforcement. You don't need to write down everything that happens -- but you might come across something you want to remember.

213th is offline Solipsist
    Quote Originally Posted by jmur5074 View Post
    Some LEO's like their riders to be quiet and watch, others prefer them to be involved, ask questions, etc.

I'd kinda feel out the person you're riding with, and figure out which type he/she is.

Me personally, I like it when my riders talk with me, ask questions, etc.

If you're going to ask questions, make sure you're asking questions, not questioning the deputies actions. There's nothing I hate more when a rider questions my actions.

Also, don't complain about a ticket you got in the past, or when you were treated unfairly by a cop in the past, or about how your friend got a DWI. For me, that's an automatic ticket to the door, ride along over, good bye.

Most importantly, watch everything that's going on. Listen to everything. And do what he tells you to.
    You sound alot like the last ride along officer I was with (Alaska State Troopers) He was quite an interesting man and quite engaging.
    He who has the money, signs the cheques.
    He who signs the cheques, makes the rules.
    He who makes the rules, has the power.
    He who has the power, has the money.

jrae Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Terminator View Post
    Who was that, huh?
    some guy Term, don't worry.......he's not my b/f anymore!

wonder why?

jrae Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by CHARTOTO View Post
    Yeah I'm a rookie, however didn't take me long to figure that one out.
    What made it so obvious? hmmm? The dress code wouldn't have applied to me no matter which deputy I did the ride along with.

I think where I am from, anyone can ride. All you do is sign a little piece of paper and wait for the Sheriff to approve it. Piece of cake.

It sounds to be that other agencies are really strict on their ride along policies..........that's interesting! It is probably best for the safety of the officer and their passenger.

BEK
    BEK is offline Lieutenant
    Verified LEO
    dont forget to ask when you can drive the squad

Sapper_132 is offline Master Turd Cutter
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    If you have a CCW and Carry leave it in your car or at home. Unless your a LEO somewhere then ask!
    Just because your sign off after you're shift is done, doesn't mean that it's over and put blinders on. You're a cop 24/7 wether you like it or not. If thats something you can't handle, you should find a new line of work!

Quote Originally Posted by tjpuclik2 View Post
    If you have a CCW and Carry leave it in your car or at home. Unless your a LEO somewhere then ask!
    Yeah, that's the first thing some of them will ask you... Also pepper spray and pocket knives.

One of them asked me about hand gernades and atomic bombs, so apparently those are forbidden also.

(\__/)

Jenna is offline sheep
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jrae View Post
    What made it so obvious? hmmm? The dress code wouldn't have applied to me no matter which deputy I did the ride along with.
    This was what gave it away for me:

Quote Originally Posted by jrae View Post
    Ride along # 2, we were blue lights and siren(the coolest thing in the world) en route to help another officer that was 40mins way. We wrecked going 100mph(off the rode, down the ditch, up the ditch, in air over 50ft, hit the opposite ditch, and wrecked into a billboard sign).......we were playing the Dukes of Hazzard. just kidding..
    This has to be the same accident we heard about you and your cyborg groom experiencing last year--no one is unlucky enough to experience that with two different deputies!

Cheech Guest
    Funny you say that I did a LAPD ride along and half hour into the ride the person I was with asked if I was carrying. I said no, She immediately drove back and made me get my gun

CHARTOTO is offline Officer First Class
    no LEO no CCW, I'm just starting out most of this stuff. I want to join the reserves here so I can at least learn more. Roger on the pad and pencil, already checked off my list.

Quote Originally Posted by Cheech View Post
    Funny you say that I did a LAPD ride along and half hour into the ride the person I was with asked if I was carrying. I said no, She immediately drove back and made me get my gun
    You get all the good ones

(\__/)

jrae Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Jenna View Post
    This was what gave it away for me:

This has to be the same accident we heard about you and your cyborg groom experiencing last year--no one is unlucky enough to experience that with two different deputies!
    hahaha. Jenna, you always make me laugh

Jackalope is offline Yell O
    Last time I rode, the deputy (a personal friend of mine) mentioned halfway through the shift the he wished I had brought my gun. I would have liked to have it, too, but I'm not risking something like that when I'm trying to get hired. Besides, he showed me the shotgun release.
    "I'm not a coward,
    I've just never been tested
    I'd like to think that if I was,
    I would pass"
    ~Mighty Mighty Bosstones~

Illiy is offline Corporal
    I remember one of the departments I rode with the lady who set it up said "don't dress like a hootchie" I laughed soo damn hard...

I typically am in jeans/slacks and a button up tshirt, she said a lot of girls go to pick up on the officers... Talk about desperate... what a way to spend a night trying to meet guys while they are working???

I have had some awesome expereinces, I am going next sat with one of the departments I am applying with... they were a lot of fun last time I went.

LA Sheriff's was the best experience... total different style of policing then I have ever seen!

Ducky is offline Enforcer General
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    So how was the ride along, anyhow?
    \\
    ` ` ` ` < ` )___/\
    `` ` ` ` (3--(____)
    "...but to forget your duck, of course, means you're really screwed." - Gary Larson
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MtN1YnoL46Q

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information