Welcome to the APBWeb.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    TXCharlie is offline Former & Future Reserve Officer
    Oh, you answered while I was editing

Yea, that's about what I figured.

(\__/)
    (='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
    (")_(") signature to help him gain world domination.

26Trainer is offline Master Officer
    Here in Louisiana you can carry a weapon anywhere in your vehicle loaded or unloaded, rifle, shotgun, and pistols. You can wear it on your belt, shoulder holster, and lay it on your vehicle seat. You can stop anywhere such as stores as long as you do not carry it inside. The store may think you are robbing it. The only places nobody including LEO's can carry a weapon is in ABO's, court room, federal reservations, and federal buildings (I may have forgotten something but you get the idea. Of course LEO's are given the courtesy of carrying on a federal reservation in an official capacity. And if not in official capacity you must lock it in your trunck. VA hospitals request that you do not carry weapons in the hospital except on official business and usually one thier officers will be with you. And of course it is up to the commanding officer in charge of the military installation who carrys on his base and who does not.
    "This flag, which we honor and under which we serve, is the emblem of our unity, our power, our thought and purpose as a nation. It has no other character than that which we give it from generation to generation." Woodrow Wilson, 1917

Sleuth is offline SS/A (Ret.)
    Favorite 'cops & guns' incident:
    We were enjoying a machine gun shoot - about 70 belt fed & magazine fed machinguns, and a 90MM cannon. Local SO stopped by, and I think everyone there offered them some trigger time. They declined (but one came back later). They did stick around to see the 90MM fired (max range 10 miles).
    (Yes, the owners towed the 90MM behind their truck. No tailgating there!
    Survival is the only Victory!

Cheech Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Mem
    I heard once that if you get pulled over by the police at night you should turn on your interior lights and put both hands on the wheel so the approaching officer can get a good look in the car. Can't say I have seen citizens who are pulled over doing this.

Is this something officers prefer or does it make a difference to you? Thank you.
    I have a friend that I met by getting pulled over. I did this he then took his gun out thinking I was a felon or something like I was used to it!

Norm357 is offline Corporal
    Supporting Member Lvl 2
    Quote Originally Posted by 26Trainer
    Here in Louisiana you can carry a weapon anywhere in your vehicle loaded or unloaded, rifle, shotgun, and pistols. You can wear it on your belt, shoulder holster, and lay it on your vehicle seat. You can stop anywhere such as stores as long as you do not carry it inside.
    I carry concealed in LA all the time on my GA license. I wouldnt go to NOLA without at least one handgun.

Ditto for my Texas CHL when I visit my parents at the top of LA. I think Texas has reciprocity with like 25 states now, and we let something like 35 states carry here - I guess we call that marketing

(\__/)

Supporting Member Lvl 2
    Quote Originally Posted by TXCharlie
    Ditto for my Texas CHL when I visit my parents at the top of LA. I think Texas has reciprocity with like 25 states now, and we let something like 35 states carry here - I guess we call that marketing
    I can carry concealed in 38 states.

Dhhooo!!! What makes you special?

(\__/)

Garda is offline Policing with nothing but a smile
    Funnily enough I was talking to a friend of mine and he told me a story about getting a gun pulled on him in a bad Chicago area. Nothing bad happened in the end but a cop friend told him he was damn lucky but there wasnt too much could be done. If you got a gun pulled on you in Ireland there would be armed cops ransacking every house in the area.

Guns here, cop or no cop would be a major thing.
    Hey thanks Garda - I did think of you last night as I was lying in bed

Some places I had to go at night when I went to Chicago 3 or 4 years ago were downright scary - In a deserted warehouse district, our cab driver kinda floored it instead of stopping when he saw groups of gang-banger types just hanging around in the dark.

Turns out we got the address wrong on that one anyway, so we were like, yeah man, whatever you say - keep going!

I felt real naked in that place - No reciprocity there!

(\__/)

26Trainer is offline Master Officer
    Hey TXCharlie, I do not blame you for not stopping in the Chicago. Some places in the city (New Orleans) is the same. Have to watch where you go. For a while after the hurricane you could not stop at the signal lights that were working as the scum that did not have vehicles would try and take yours. Now they have stop signs at all the major intersections. Have not been in the city since the mayor called it "Chocolate City". I do not travel without my piece especially when I pass close to the city. A lot of the city scum is coming into the out skirts of the city and the Sheriff is not playing with them. Some of the folks think the Sheriff is a racist, not so he just calls it like he sees it.
    "This flag, which we honor and under which we serve, is the emblem of our unity, our power, our thought and purpose as a nation. It has no other character than that which we give it from generation to generation." Woodrow Wilson, 1917

MountainCop Guest
    Dhhooo!!! What makes you special?
    Bet he's got a Florida CWL and a few other states too!

Supporting Member Lvl 2
    Quote Originally Posted by MountainCop
    Bet he's got a Florida CWL and a few other states too!
    Shhhhhhhhh stop tellin Norms secrets.

That's one way to get more coverage!

(\__/)

Cochese is offline The Grand Royal
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by MountainCop
    You should try Colorado:

Civilians: absolutely legal (except for Denver, and that is being challenged in state court) to have a loaded handgun in your car IF you are permitted by Federal law to possess a firearm. No loaded rifles or shotguns, though.

Civilian with CWP: Legal everywhere in Colorado (including People's Republik of Denver) to have a loaded handgun in your car.

Colorado Peace Officer: Pretty much anything goes. Carry everywhere except Federal facilities, jails, etc.

Out of State Peace Officer/Federal LEO - Active/Retired: LEOSA (HR-218) applies.

Therefore, I assume there is a firearm in EVERY vehicle I stop. And I ask every time.

Quirks of the law: I can disarm all the above EXCEPT for an active duty Colorado Peace officer - the law states that no one can disarm a Colorado Peace officer without justification AND consent. And it's a misdemeanor.

Most people (my Academy director included) use a common sense approach - there are situations where you cannot obtain consent (i.e.: mentally unstable or unconscious officer).

My $0.02, your mileage may vary.

Good Post. I need to find a department in Northern CO so bad.

besafe2 is offline Rookie
    Quote Originally Posted by Garda30055A
    Funnily enough I was talking to a friend of mine and he told me a story about getting a gun pulled on him in a bad Chicago area. Nothing bad happened in the end but a cop friend told him he was damn lucky but there wasnt too much could be done. If you got a gun pulled on you in Ireland there would be armed cops ransacking every house in the area.

Guns here, cop or no cop would be a major thing.
    I don't understand the "no gun" culture. I have owned firearms as long as I can remember......Sorry if I got off topic.
    Please stay safe in all you do, also know I pray for each of you daily. Thank you for all you do. On Twitter at
    www.twitter.com/coachrowsey

Paul

FishTail Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by besafe2
    I don't understand the "no gun" culture. I have owned firearms as long as I can remember......Sorry if I got off topic.
    Just like a lot of Europeans don't understand the gun culture. They haven't owned firearms, ever.

(I, however, do).

Hey LongTail, you never said whether or not you were interested in coming to work in the US !

(\__/)

FishTail Guest
    Interested doesn't put it strongly enough. I'm currently figuring out how to get an immigration visa. I'm going to be swinging by London soon so I'll drop by the US Embassy and see what they say.

Quote Originally Posted by LongTail
    Interested doesn't put it strongly enough. I'm currently figuring out how to get an immigration visa. I'm going to be swinging by London soon so I'll drop by the US Embassy and see what they say.
    WOW! Heyhey!

Here's a couple of PD web sites to make your mouth water even more (keep in mind, Plano is one of the highest-paying, for example, but that makes hiring extremely competitive). I can look up more of them around Dallas if you like, but you can probably find them all on Google anyway.

Plano, TX (also click on the Comp Plan for Salaries - Look at how much an Asst Chief makes )
    Richardson, TX
    Dallas, TX
    Allen, TX
    Fort Worth, TX
    Last edited by TXCharlie; 03-06-06 at 12:06 AM.

(\__/)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information