Welcome to the APBWeb.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Mem
    Mem is offline Banned

What is your preference on a night stop?

I heard once that if you get pulled over by the police at night you should turn on your interior lights and put both hands on the wheel so the approaching officer can get a good look in the car. Can't say I have seen citizens who are pulled over doing this.

Is this something officers prefer or does it make a difference to you? Thank you.

jmur5074 is offline Moderator
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    It's definetly nice seeing hands as you approach. If they have their hands at their side, digging in pockets, etc, I always have them put their hands on the wheel.

I'd also suggest not digging for insurance, registration, or your drivers license until you are asked for it. I hate it when I'm calling out my stop, and the driver, or even worse passengers are digging in pockets, or all around in a vehicle for their insurance and DL.

Keep your hands on the wheel, until your asked to remove them. That's the best way of doing things.
    No one has greater love than this, to lay down ones life for ones friends - John 15:13

"The Wicked Flee When No Man Pursueth: But The Righteous Are Bold As A Lion".

We lucky few, we band of brothers. For he who today sheds his blood with me shall be my brother.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~
    The opinions, beliefs, and ideas expressed in this post are mine, and mine alone. They are NOT the opinions, beliefs, ideas, or policies of my Agency, Police Chief, City Council, or any member of my department.

Mem
    Mem is offline Banned
    Thank you. I have only been stopped once for speeding (sorry, but it happens to the best of us) and I have a friend who is a cop so I just thought, put your hands on the wheel. Just figured, make the officer more comfortable on approach. Of course it did not get me out of the ticket nor did I expect it too but it did make for a nicer experience. Live and learn.

TXCharlie is offline Former & Future Reserve Officer
    One thing I've found it's best not to do is unfasten my seat-belt... The officer didn't see me unbuckle it, so it took some talking to convince him I had it on.

Then after I told him how many guns we had in the car, he dang near stepped back into traffic (my wife & I were on our way to the range & had at least 5 of them, two of them in her fanny pack & purse in her lap, under some newspaper she'd been reading. I think it was the part about them being in her lap under the newspaper that startled him a bit, considerring he almost had his head in the window)

He was real nice about it though - Told us to have fun, after he sent me on my way with a 79 in a 65.
    Last edited by TXCharlie; 01-24-06 at 11:58 PM.

(\__/)
    (='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
    (")_(") signature to help him gain world domination.

chris2001 is offline Captain
    Quote Originally Posted by TXCharlie
    One thing I've found it's best not to do is unfasten my seat-belt... The officer didn't see me unbuckle it, so it took some talking to convince him I had it on.

Then after I told him how many guns we had in the car, he dang near stepped back into traffic (my wife & I were on out way to the range & had at least 5 of them, two of them in her fanny pack & purse in her lap, under some newspaper she'd been reading. I think it was the part about them being in her lap under the newspaper that startled him a bit)
    Ummm ya think? lol

Actually if you have tinted windows on your car my suggestions is if you do not want a spot light to blind the living daylights out of you while on the traffic stop I would turn on your interior dome light. Because simply adjusting your mirror is not going to stop from being blinded why? Because I move mine to blind you again when you move your mirror. I do not want you seing me as I approach hince why we use the light.

I agree with JMUR do not dig in the car or your pockets for anything until I ask you to. You only make the hairs on my neck stand up when you do this which makes the stop a whole lot more uncomfy for you as the driver.

If you are hauling guns to go to the range or something, PUT THEM IN BACK out of your reach. Its simple. Thank you come again lol

sorry i am in an extremely good mood right now
    Being the best is not what always counts. What counts is always trying your best.

Remember who you are, and where you came from. That way you never get a big head.

May those that lost their lives in 9-11 RIP, for the things you did not many could do. You left so many behind so that you could save so few. For now we stand strong as one, and will not look back till the fight is done. (me)

http://www.danasoft.com/sig/Nowwhat%...5Csuphomey.jpg

The opinions given in my posts DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are MY PERSONAL OPINIONS only.

Iron Man is offline Don't Tase me bro!

Then after I told him how many guns we had in the car, he dang near stepped back into traffic (my wife & I were on our way to the range & had at least 5 of them, two of them in her fanny pack & purse in her lap, under some newspaper she'd been reading. I think it was the part about them being in her lap under the newspaper that startled him a bit)
    HAHA! I know it would have sure as hell startled me if I were him.

Of course where I work that is a felony.

Quote Originally Posted by chris2001
    If you are hauling guns to go to the range or something, PUT THEM IN BACK out of your reach.
    I never put them back there because my trunk's full of ammo.

Y'all aren't from around here are you?

(\__/)

chris2001 is offline Captain
    I never put them back there because my trunk's full of ammo.

Y'all aren't from around here are you?
    Don't really care bro. As long as the guns are not loaded while driving there is not a problem. But I sure as the hell do not want them in your lap. Sorry thats my story and I am sticken to it.
    Being the best is not what always counts. What counts is always trying your best.

Remember who you are, and where you came from. That way you never get a big head.

May those that lost their lives in 9-11 RIP, for the things you did not many could do. You left so many behind so that you could save so few. For now we stand strong as one, and will not look back till the fight is done. (me)

http://www.danasoft.com/sig/Nowwhat%...5Csuphomey.jpg

The opinions given in my posts DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are MY PERSONAL OPINIONS only.

Perhaps I didn't 'splain myself... Mine were holstered. All 5 of them were either holstered or bagged. The 2 in my wife's lap (under the paper) were in her purse & fanny pack.

In Texas it doesn't really matter (legally) where you put them in the car, as long as they're hidden. Doesn't matter whether or not they're loaded, as long as they're stowed safe, but you either must have a CHL, you must be on a direct route to the range with no stopovers, or must be "traveling" per the legal definition of that word.

Of course you have to disclose all that stuff if they ask for your DL, at which point it wouldn't be terribly smart to make any sudden moves or start re-arranging things.

That's my interpretations of Texas law & I'm stickin' to 'em till they slap on the cuffs
    Last edited by TXCharlie; 01-25-06 at 12:43 AM.

(\__/)

MountainCop Guest
    You should try Colorado:

Civilians: absolutely legal (except for Denver, and that is being challenged in state court) to have a loaded handgun in your car IF you are permitted by Federal law to possess a firearm. No loaded rifles or shotguns, though.

Civilian with CWP: Legal everywhere in Colorado (including People's Republik of Denver) to have a loaded handgun in your car.

Colorado Peace Officer: Pretty much anything goes. Carry everywhere except Federal facilities, jails, etc.

Out of State Peace Officer/Federal LEO - Active/Retired: LEOSA (HR-218) applies.

Therefore, I assume there is a firearm in EVERY vehicle I stop. And I ask every time.

Quirks of the law: I can disarm all the above EXCEPT for an active duty Colorado Peace officer - the law states that no one can disarm a Colorado Peace officer without justification AND consent. And it's a misdemeanor.

Most people (my Academy director included) use a common sense approach - there are situations where you cannot obtain consent (i.e.: mentally unstable or unconscious officer).

My $0.02, your mileage may vary.

Norm357 is offline Corporal
    Supporting Member Lvl 2
    Except for my .gov jobs, I am always wearing a gun. I have never had any problem from an officer. This might be a regional thing. I understand some yankee cops might have a heart attack or stroke upon learning that a Citizen is armed.

Quote Originally Posted by MountainCop
    No loaded rifles or shotguns, though.
    Interesting... I'm not too sure Texas law even addresses long guns in the car, which would mean that they'd be legal, loaded or unloaded.

Don't try this at home (it'd be REALLY stupid to try it), but I'm not too sure that it's even against the law in Texas to openly carry a long gun, as long as your intent isn't to commit a crime or cause terror... For example walking to you house after hunting. But I don't intend to test that theory - That's what rifle cases are for.
    Last edited by TXCharlie; 01-25-06 at 01:16 PM.

(\__/)

Quote Originally Posted by Norm357
    Except for my .gov jobs, I am always wearing a gun. I have never had any problem from an officer. This might be a regional thing. I understand some yankee cops might have a heart attack or stroke upon learning that a Citizen is armed.
    I've never had a problem with an officer either, even though I'm always armed when in public. I've only been stopped twice in the 6 or 7 years I've had my CHL, though, so I can't say that's a good sample.

Oh yeah... three times. Once I blew at a cop (don't even remember why, now) and he followed me down to the gun range to have a "talk" with me about blowing at him. It was match day, so about 20 buddlies of mine was standing all around us with guns in their holsters

He told us to have fun too, after it was all over with
    Last edited by TXCharlie; 01-25-06 at 01:19 PM.

(\__/)

cntryboy0531 is offline THE five-oh
    Verified LEO
    In florida you can keep a loaded long gun in a vehicle. Nothing illegal about it.

Indy Guest
    Once I blew at a cop....

Once when I blew my car horn at a cop.... I didn't blow a kiss at him or anything like that
    Last edited by TXCharlie; 01-26-06 at 12:56 AM.

(\__/)

Indy Guest
    Once when I blew my car horn at a cop.... I didn't blow a kiss at him or anything like that
    lmao I kid you not, I could not for the life of me figure out what you were trying to say by "blew at a cop."

I would never ever have the guts to do blow my horn at a cop. lol

FishTail Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Norm357
    Come do it here Norm. It'd be the definition of panic

Quote Originally Posted by LongTail
    Come do it here Norm. It'd be the definition of panic
    If Bobbie walked down the street with his sidearm, would that trigger a city-wide evacuation, or would all the other Bobbies jjust descend upon him and sternly whistle in his ear until he threw down his weapon?
    Last edited by TXCharlie; 01-26-06 at 01:45 AM.

(\__/)

FishTail Guest
    To be honest, most people probably wouldn't notice. Then the media would get hold of it and create an artificial "outraged" shit storm.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information