Welcome to the APBWeb.
    Mem
    Mem is offline Banned

Required to chat with the "shrink"??

After what type of situations do officers normally have to visit the police shrink or such for a chat? For example, I know an officer that after a mother killed her child in a nasty way and officers found her and the child they had to stay and chat before going off duty. Who decides....the officer or the department and do most officers welcome it or prefer to avoid it. Thank you.

FishTail Guest
    It was offered to me after a road accident involving the death of a 4 yr old girl in front of me. It wasn't compulsory.

Terminator is offline BANNED
    Quote Originally Posted by Mem
    After what type of situations do officers normally have to visit the police shrink or such for a chat? For example, I know an officer that after a mother killed her child in a nasty way and officers found her and the child they had to stay and chat before going off duty. Who decides....the officer or the department and do most officers welcome it or prefer to avoid it. Thank you.
    Different departments dictate different policies. Anytime you shoot someone here, you have to have a "shrink" clear you before you can return to work.

Other situations where you meet with a "shrink" would be on a voluntary basis...unless you experience something so completely traumatic that the department requires you to do it.

Signal_W Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Terminator
    Different departments dictate different policies. Anytime you shoot someone here, you have to have a "shrink" clear you before you can return to work.

Other situations where you meet with a "shrink" would be on a voluntary basis...unless you experience something so completely traumatic that the department requires you to do it.
    that plus if you get a lot complaints they will send you to the shrink (right before they fire you)

Andrewtx is offline A little bit of soul
    Along the lines of this question, are you required to attend critical incident stress debriefings with the other responders involved? Is this a formal requirement?

Terminator is offline BANNED
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrewtx
    Along the lines of this question, are you required to attend critical incident stress debriefings with the other responders involved? Is this a formal requirement?
    Not at my department. That's another thing where it depends on your department. I do think it's a good idea, however.

Retdetsgt is offline How did I get here!
    Verified LEO
    We're required to have at least three visits after an officer involved shooting where someone is killed.

We can request it anytime we feel we need it. The dept will pay for four, then you have to use your insurance.
    When I used to be somebody (I'm center top)

"A burning desire for social justice is never a substitute for knowing what you're talking about". -Thomas Sowell-

StanSwitek is offline Corporal
    I saw the shrink after my last shooting. He asked me what I felt. I told him, "Recoil doc, nothing but recoil."

Garda is offline Policing with nothing but a smile
    It was offered to me as a trainee after I assisted with with a suicide case (tried to get him down and revive but didnt) but on that occasion I declined and had no problems.

It was offered again after I was injured on duty and again I declined. Started to get panic attacks and stressed out and was diagnosed with PTS so went to councelling and lo and behold, here I am fightin' crime again.

Some departments its compulsary after any high stress incident or tragedy, others just offer and its your call but ultimately only the officer can decide if hes gonna use it or sit there wasting time.

Also, in each station there is a 'peer supporter' which is an officer with councilling training and you can go to them to talk something out and they can liase/organise additional external help if need be. My Sergeant is the one in our station.

The important thing is to take it if you need it. I declined initially bacuse I was worried about the reaction from my colleagues and losing their confidence but the effects of not going worried them far more.
    Last edited by Garda; 01-24-06 at 10:50 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by TXCharlie
    Hey thanks Garda - I did think of you last night as I was lying in bed

jmur5074 is offline Moderator
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    My dept let's you decide, unless it's something they think needs to be done, or they suspect your having problems.
    No one has greater love than this, to lay down ones life for ones friends - John 15:13

"The Wicked Flee When No Man Pursueth: But The Righteous Are Bold As A Lion".

We lucky few, we band of brothers. For he who today sheds his blood with me shall be my brother.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~
    The opinions, beliefs, and ideas expressed in this post are mine, and mine alone. They are NOT the opinions, beliefs, ideas, or policies of my Agency, Police Chief, City Council, or any member of my department.

Cochese is offline The Grand Royal
    Verified LEO
    I have to meet with my chiefevery month or so now.

does that count?

BEK
    BEK is offline Lieutenant
    Verified LEO
    We have a group chat with a shrink for traumatic death things, bad accidents mostly. We have not had a shooting in ever and a day. Mostly its people talking about their feelings the EMS and Fire talk alot so the cops dont. Our attention span aint that long so we just want to get going. what was i talking about again

Thread Information