Welcome to the APBWeb.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    213th is offline Solipsist
    Quote Originally Posted by glock32 View Post
    I've done both and corrections is not a tougher job by any means. Its really not hard to sit there and babysit grown men.
    These 'grown men' of which you speak happen to be murderers, rapists, thieves, drug dealers, drug users, drug growers among other things. Maybe you are a braver man then I, or maybe less intelligent, but you won't find the job of babysitting these grown men on my list of favorites
    He who has the money, signs the cheques.
    He who signs the cheques, makes the rules.
    He who makes the rules, has the power.
    He who has the power, has the money.

me again is offline Is it pronounced whore, ho or whoooaaa?
    Quote Originally Posted by glock32 View Post
    I've done both and corrections is not a tougher job by any means. Its really not hard to sit there and babysit grown men.
    I've never worked as a correctional officer, but I think that it would be a very tough job for several reasons, to include:
    • Imagine this: All the idiots and scroatbags of the county are housed under one roof -- and YOU are there with them!!!!
    • You walk into the correctional facility -- and then the door closes behind you. You CAN'T leave unless someone buzzes you out. You're TRAPPED unless someone buzzes you out!!!
    • The C.O. has to "interact" with the idiots of society for a full 8 hours (or 12 if he's on 12 hour shifts)! Imagine how much fun that is!!! It must be "intellectually stimulating" to have to deal with those rocket scientists for a full career!!!
    Yep, COs have a very tough job!!!!

well me being a det dep, i for once see the dangers working in the jail. in my opinion, it can be just as rough in here as it is out as a patrolman. its all what you make of it. i want to be on the road, and by starting in here first, you kinda get a better idea of what to expect on the streets. as far as pay, i think they should be equal since its just as equally dangerous.
    Resistance is Futile

bufford408 is offline Just green and furry all over
    I have worked the streets for all but around two years at which I was a sworn Deputy in a direct supervision jail. Both sides of the job are stressful and dangerous and they are both a bitch at times. I fully agree that both the detention and road officers should make the same.
    The opinions of my posts are the sole responsibilty of my employer due to the fact that they have totally and completely warped my mind.

PatrolsgtAZ is offline Rookie

Thumbs down Detention Staff salary

I am new to this forum and I am sure that I will meet with replies in reference to this post. I must say that the Detention Officers in my agency work hard and are a valued employee for the county. Having said all of that I would like to say that making the Detention Officers salary comparitive with the road officers is going to cause I think some interagency problems. First, Detention Officers do not attend a POST academy for 16 to 18 weeks. They do not have another 8 weeks of field training that either makes or brakes them in this job. They do not have to respond to emergency situations on a daily basis and make life or death situations in a milisecond. They are not on scenes in the extreme heat directing traffic on pavement so hot that it melts the bottoms of boots and you get so sun burnt and you get heat strokes or heat exhaustions. They dont have to stand out in freezing cold weather for hours investigating crime scenes. I think that I could probly go on and on.

Dentention is a profession and they should have a pay scale that also professional but I dont think that they should compare to the road officer. I have worked in detention before going to the road so I know alittle about what I am talking about. Thats just what I think.

Five-0 is offline Super Moderator
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by PatrolsgtAZ View Post
    I am new to this forum and I am sure that I will meet with replies in reference to this post. I must say that the Detention Officers in my agency work hard and are a valued employee for the county. Having said all of that I would like to say that making the Detention Officers salary comparitive with the road officers is going to cause I think some interagency problems.How? First, Detention Officers do not attend a POST academy for 16 to 18 weeks. They do not have another 8 weeks of field training that either makes or brakes them in this job. They should. Make the argument for compensation easier if they did. They do not have to respond to emergency situations on a daily basis and make life or death situations in a milisecond. Yes they do. They are not on scenes in the extreme heat directing traffic on pavement so hot that it melts the bottoms of boots and you get so sun burnt and you get heat strokes or heat exhaustions. They dont have to stand out in freezing cold weather for hours investigating crime scenes. I think that I could probly go on and on. Each job has its own perks and pitfalls.

Dentention is a profession and they should have a pay scale that also professional but I dont think that they should compare to the road officer. I have worked in detention before going to the road so I know alittle about what I am talking about. Thats just what I think.
    What kind of facility? My agency holds our inmates, state inmates, and federal inmates. We are getting ready to expand also. Need to compare apples with apples here. The two cell jail isn't like the big full service types that are becoming more popular. Hell we even handle transportation of all inmates to and from anywhere.

Meanwhile, fishing in Russia:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SkzV5AIK8iM
    "When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men living together in society, they create for themselves in the course of time a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that justifies it." -- Frederic Bastiat

"Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never really care for anything else thereafter." Ernest Hemingway

The opinions given in my signatures & threads DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "Five-0" on Officerresource.com

njco is offline Rookie
    I am a state c/o in nj. We have a 14 week academy, carry off duty on the badge, sworn law enforcement( i know not everyone thinks so. but in we are, even my state ID says im a sworn law enforcement officer) .... but anyway. I make just as much if not more then the cops here. I have steady days off, day work 6a-2p and love it. I know the local county sheriff's dont make as much as the pd. but they dont do as much as the sheriff's in the south. just about 100% of the police work is done by the local pd.The county c/o's make the same as the s/o. If you want overtime look at corrections. As everyone knows every agency is short c/o's and you can write your own check. The c/o's should be paid the same as the road guys in the county....just my 2 cents

Pudge is online now Site Admin
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by njco View Post
    I am a state c/o in nj. We have a 14 week academy, carry off duty on the badge, sworn law enforcement( i know not everyone thinks so. but in we are, even my state ID says im a sworn law enforcement officer) .... but anyway. I make just as much if not more then the cops here. I have steady days off, day work 6a-2p and love it. I know the local county sheriff's dont make as much as the pd. but they dont do as much as the sheriff's in the south. just about 100% of the police work is done by the local pd.The county c/o's make the same as the s/o. If you want overtime look at corrections. As everyone knows every agency is short c/o's and you can write your own check. The c/o's should be paid the same as the road guys in the county....just my 2 cents
    Welcome to LEF!

Feel free to post an introduction in the "Introduce Yourself" section. Also send you info to conalabu for verification. Enjoy the site!
    "Like" us on facebook! https://www.facebook.com/pages/Offic...93147194083228

Follow members of O/R as they tweet a "Ride a long" on their shifts on the front page of the site and on twitter at the following links:

www.twitter.com/PoliceRideAlong
    www.twitter.com/lewisipso
    www.twitter.com/ORgopher
    www.twitter.com/SecondChance122
    www.twitter.com/pojmm
    www.twitter.com/ORGIB

The opinions given in my posts & threads DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "Pudge" on Officerresource.com

mack is offline Officer Resource Offical Auctioneer
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Quote Originally Posted by PatrolsgtAZ View Post
    I am new to this forum and I am sure that I will meet with replies in reference to this post. I must say that the Detention Officers in my agency work hard and are a valued employee for the county. Having said all of that I would like to say that making the Detention Officers salary comparitive with the road officers is going to cause I think some interagency problems. First, Detention Officers do not attend a POST academy for 16 to 18 weeks. They do not have another 8 weeks of field training that either makes or brakes them in this job. They do not have to respond to emergency situations on a daily basis and make life or death situations in a milisecond. They are not on scenes in the extreme heat directing traffic on pavement so hot that it melts the bottoms of boots and you get so sun burnt and you get heat strokes or heat exhaustions. They dont have to stand out in freezing cold weather for hours investigating crime scenes. I think that I could probly go on and on.

I attended a 5 month academy for Detention, I am weapons certified, taser certified, and went through extensive DT training. I work with the scum of society on a daily basis and never know what they have come up with to do bodily harm to me. As for Field Training, our Field Training lasts anywhere from 8-12 weeks depending on the progress of the Probationary Deputy. As a matter of fact, the Road Deputies Field Training program was re-vamped to emulate ours because ours was tougher to get through than theirs was. I am also a Field Training Officer and believe me we don't let them through if they can't complete the program with high scores. Similar to Five-O's agency we also have Federal, INS, US Marshall Inmates and the ratio is 72 inmates to 1 Detention Deputy. How do you like those odds? We do prisoner transport all over the country, we have our own planes, buses and vans. The Detention Deputies that do these details, myself included, are US Marshall certified, we take a course to become certified to do these details.

FYI-The FOP with the full support of the Road Deputies fought for and won parity for the Detention Deputies. There is mutual respect between us, they know what we go through and we know what they go through to get the job done.

My dad, I miss him every day.

Originally Posted by Wolven
    Life is too short to wear unsexy underwear.

I am a female!!!!! LMAO

Be who you are and say what you feel.....
    Because those that matter...don't mind...
    And those that mind...don't matter

Terminator is offline BANNED

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by mack View Post
    ...the ratio is 72 inmates to 1 Detention Deputy. How do you like those odds?
    The average ratio for police officers to citizens in the USA is 1 to 1,000. So yeah, those 1 to 72 odds, I like them.

Premium Lifetime Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Terminator View Post
    The average ratio for police officers to citizens in the USA is 1 to 1,000. So yeah, those 1 to 72 odds, I like them.

All at one time?

I am a female!!!!! LMAO

Ruffy is offline Officer First Class
    Verified C/O

Pay

You know I make what is it 37,000 a year as a detention officer at the age of 20 which is not to damn bad to me. The way I see working in the jails is as hard as you make it. I have my way of running things and it goes well just a little dual at time yes because I work nights but I mean at no time is it ever safe. Just like out on the road for Dep. but I could care less who really gets paid more or less because i'm really not in it for the pay its doing the job I love that counts.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

<Shake and Bake>

All at one time?
    Yes Mack, all at one time. They are all within our city, county, state...etc. Ours are just more spread out than yours.

Premium Lifetime Member
    Yes Mack, all at one time. They are all within our city, county, state...etc. Ours are just more spread out than yours.

And how many are convicted felons and within a few feet of you all at once?

I am a female!!!!! LMAO

I don't know the numbers without checking, but who do you think is arresting and making cases against these felons, taking away there freedom, and dropping them off at the jail for you to watch? If they go to your jail, then all of them must be coming from the jurisdiction in which your local law enforcement works...meaning they deal with them.

I respect corrections, as I did it. But to imply it's more dangerous than police work is just plain ignorant.

Five-0 is offline Super Moderator
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    You see that is one difference right there. You know who is a convicted felon a few feet away from you. Road officers do not have that valuable information with everyone that they meet. That and the fact that the felons that are within arms reach of us haven't been patted down for weapons yet. I have yet to see an inmate make a Mack 10 out of a toothbrush.

Meanwhile, fishing in Russia:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SkzV5AIK8iM
    "When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men living together in society, they create for themselves in the course of time a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that justifies it." -- Frederic Bastiat

"Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never really care for anything else thereafter." Ernest Hemingway

The opinions given in my signatures & threads DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "Five-0" on Officerresource.com

JohnnyReb is offline Officer First Class
    Quote Originally Posted by Five-0 View Post
    I have yet to see an inmate make a Mack 10 out of a toothbrush.

HAHAHAHA! Rep on the way
    Don't ask if you don't want a honest answer!!!

Premium Lifetime Member
    I don't know the numbers without checking, but who do you think is arresting and making cases against these felons, taking away there freedom, and dropping them off at the jail for you to watch? If they go to your jail, then all of them must be coming from the jurisdiction in which your local law enforcement works...meaning they deal with them.

I respect corrections, as I did it. But to imply it's more dangerous than police work is just plain ignorant.

I don't believe that I ever said it was more dangerous, they are both dangerous in their own ways. The point I was trying to make is that parity should exist between the two jobs.

I am a female!!!!! LMAO

Premium Lifetime Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Five-0 View Post
    You see that is one difference right there. You know who is a convicted felon a few feet away from you. Road officers do not have that valuable information with everyone that they meet. That and the fact that the felons that are within arms reach of us haven't been patted down for weapons yet. I have yet to see an inmate make a Mack 10 out of a toothbrush.

But look at what they can make out of a toothbrush. At a few feet away they can kill you just as dead. Again the point of the thread is parity of pay and IMO both jobs are dangerous and both jobs should have equal pay.

I am a female!!!!! LMAO

chris2001 is offline Captain
    I don't agree with parity pay. Here is why a road officer not only had to drive around and look for crime in progress, but that officer is also instructed in most cases to make traffic stops, handle calls for service, not to mention being stopped somewhere and being approached to be asked a question.

The problem with all of those scenarios is once again we have no idea who we are dealing with, what we are dealing with and what the outcome of the situation will be.

Now I am not saying that stuff can't go wrong in a jail/prison we have all see the reports and the past occurences. What I am saying is though is you know who your dealing with, past history of that person and what they typically will do and how they will react to certain things.

When we are out with people, talking with people. We have no idea what might or will set them off. We have no idea what weapons they have or what their intentions are. We simply have to go on gut feelings and instincts.
    Being the best is not what always counts. What counts is always trying your best.

Remember who you are, and where you came from. That way you never get a big head.

May those that lost their lives in 9-11 RIP, for the things you did not many could do. You left so many behind so that you could save so few. For now we stand strong as one, and will not look back till the fight is done. (me)

http://www.danasoft.com/sig/Nowwhat%...5Csuphomey.jpg

The opinions given in my posts DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are MY PERSONAL OPINIONS only.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread Information