Welcome to the APBWeb.
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    Cidp24 is offline Tempus Fugit
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    That there is an incredibly dark side to society, and that that side exists in almost everyone. The more civilized side of society is made up of people who restrain or resist that darker side. They also have no clue what it takes to control the darker side of society and what those who try to conrol it have to give up of themselves to do it.
    "It wouldn't take much for me to up and run...
    to another life somewhere in the sun."
    "There's something inherently wrong with having to put on a bullet-proof vest and a gun to go to work."-(An old friend)

Any statements or opinions given in my postings or profile do not reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employer or anyone else other than me. They are my personal opinions or statements only, thereby releasing my employer , any other entity, or any other person of any liability or involvement in anything posted under the username "Cidp24" on O/R.

Coloradocop is offline It's the PoPo
    Verified LEO
    I'll be echoing a bit of what has already been said:

1) Most people are sheep, living their lives immune to the thought that bad people are out there, and that they too can be a victim

2) Dead people smell bad

3) I'm not going to be able to single-handedly make a profound difference in the world

4) 80/20 rule. 20% of the criminals are responsible for 80% of the crime. We arrest 'em... they let 'em go... then we do it all over again, and again, and again.

janego10 is offline Rookie
    I learned that no matter what you think as a civilian, that you could be a cop, think like a cop, act like a cop or whatever any other civvy tells you, you have no idea what its like to be a cop until you're actually doing it.

Pudge is online now Site Admin
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Everyone has said it the best. I will definitely add a +1 to the "no matter how bad I think it is at home" remark. Definitely keeps me alot cooler at the house. Of course it adds to frustration when the wife thinks that every little thing that goes wrong is a big deal. She even worked in an ER and still has that mentality. If I thought I could put up with her telling me how to drive and what I shoulda said to people I would take her out on a busy friday night shift and let her see she's got it made.
    "Like" us on facebook! https://www.facebook.com/pages/Offic...93147194083228

Follow members of O/R as they tweet a "Ride a long" on their shifts on the front page of the site and on twitter at the following links:

www.twitter.com/PoliceRideAlong
    www.twitter.com/lewisipso
    www.twitter.com/ORgopher
    www.twitter.com/SecondChance122
    www.twitter.com/pojmm
    www.twitter.com/ORGIB

The opinions given in my posts & threads DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "Pudge" on Officerresource.com

Jenna is offline sheep
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Quote Originally Posted by countybear View Post
    Perhaps the most profound lesson in life for me...

But for death and long-term incarceration, there are no tragedies.
    Why not?

rrooney is offline el Court Security Guru
    I have learned that....
    "If you are going to be Dumb,
    you had better be tough!"
    Rich Rooney
    "If you're gonna be dumb,
    ya better be tough!"

TXPO710 is offline Dumb ole' Cowboy
    Verified LEO
    1. How many "lawyers" there are in the world.
    2. I'm not a police officer, I'm a parent, social worker, taxi, Information booth, and Superman
    3. The worst thing to happen to Police is CSI
    3a. You can't get a finger print off any of the stuff they do.
    and last of all
    4. I can have a job that I enjoy doing!

JayBee is offline Cut loose
    I've learned that the learning never ends as a LEO. Whether you have 10 days on 10 years on or 50 years on there is always something new to learn to help you do the job better.
    "Take your hand offs the car and I'll make your birth certificate a worthless document" UNKNOWN

phantasm is offline Corporal
    Verified LEO
    95% of 911 calls are nonsense in one way or another. Either disputes that people couldn't handle themselves, or drunks who get into fights, or violence over stupid things.

There's only so much you can do, and we'll do what we can.

When the police (or the DA) advises you that you have the right to remain silent, you probably should.

Its not worth it to do overtime, because then you get taxed at a higher rate.

Bama512 is offline Master Officer
    Verified LEO
    1. That the "good and upstanding" "do you know who I am" people you see everyday will be the first to complain on you if you write them a ticket. You are automatically rude to them because you didn't pat them on the back and let them go.

2. Not all police chiefs are created equal. Some aren't "real" cops at all. They drive good cops away or burn them out quickly. (glad I left one of those behind at the old dept)

3. In a small town, you come to work your shift one day and the next day, the chief knows everything you have done because of the regulars that stop by his office to chat.

4. Grown men and women can sound more childish than 5 year olds fighting over a toy.

5. Cops seldom get the truth....they have to figure out the closest thing to the truth and run with it.

6 . Rarely is something black or white......it is a shade of grey and the officer has to decide to let it go or pursue it.

7. The court system is oftentimes a contest of who can get the best deal.

I could go on.....lol

countybear is offline BDRT - Baby Daddy Removal Team
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Jenna View Post
    Why not?
    Thinking of the many things that some consider tragic, really aren't when you deal in those terms. Death is finality on earth, incarceration (long term) is finality for freedom.

Next to those two, very little else (if anything) can be considered tragic. The human is resilient, many who live in utter darkness do so only at their own behest.

"The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money."
    - Alexis de Tocqueville, Democracy in America

Tell me not, Sweet, I am unkind,
    That from the nunnery
    Of thy chaste breast and quiet mind
    To war and arms I fly.
    - Lovelace

The opinions expressed by this poster are wholly his own, and should never be construed to even remotely be in representation of his employer, its agencies or assigns. In fact, they probably fail to be in alignment with the opinions of any rational human being.

EvilWill is offline EEEvil Shenanigans
    Verified LEO
    when your days off start to fall on the weekends, you're about to get ordered in for overtime.

1 bad boss can screw up an entire platoon without even trying

k-9max is offline K9 Officer
    Verified LEO
    [quote=TXPO710;225677]
    2. I'm not a police officer, I'm a parent, social worker, taxi, Information booth, and superman!
    quote]
    +1

Also that my Ex-Wife is ignorant.
    I know alot of people, and being a deputy, people see shit, and talk about it!!!!!!!!
    I knew she fucked up, before she did, stupid bitch!
    YEAH, IM THE BERRIES, AND CHERRIES IN YOUR REAR VIEW MIRROR.

Handle every stressful situation like a dog.
    Eat it, Play with it, or piss on it, and walk away!

As smart as man is, we haven't been able to invent a machine that can smell drugs or tell us where a person has walked, Dogs are sophisticated investigative tools!

jcsdscott is offline The short minister
    Verified LEO
    [quote=k-9max;247139]
    Quote Originally Posted by TXPO710 View Post
    2. I'm not a police officer, I'm a parent, social worker, taxi, Information booth, and superman!
    quote]
    +1

Also that my Ex-Wife is ignorant.
    I know alot of people, and being a deputy, people see shit, and talk about it!!!!!!!!
    I knew she fucked up, before she did, stupid bitch!
    Wow, sounds like you need to vent just a little....

LawnMM is offline Oppressor of Crackheads
    That most people lie and they are very bad at it. With a little experience and some practice its extremely easy to tell when people are lying. People by nature are socialized into the belief that lying is wrong and only the most practiced liars can hide all the non-verbal and subconscious cues that scream "I'm lying" as they tell their tale.

Along the same lines I've learned I can think up questions faster than people can think up lies to answer them. Sooner or later the lies clash and the story falls apart...when that happens I've got you.

CaliTheKid is offline Investigator
    Verified LEO
    My partners are as real as they get. Good people that know how to be painfully honest and truly care. It's a rare thing in Los Angeles.
    The great will make you feel like you too can be great.

MonsterMash is offline Proud 3%er
    Lets see........

I learned that the ones who are supposed to be your "brothers" will stab you in the back.

I learned that the brotherhood is failing and falling apart.

I learned that I should have been a tit doctor.
    Are you a 3%er? If you aren't, you should be.

deputysykes is offline Corporal
    Verified LEO
    I got to contradict my brother above: It is good to be a part of the largest organized gang in the world!

Other things: No matter how many other people's guts and blood I see, I still almost pass out when I get cut.

If I've arrested someone more than once, there is a 99% chance of two things: they have more than one child and within 10 years I will arrest one of those children.

If I'm ever in a REALLY bad traffic crash, I hope at the time of the collision my sober body is somehow able to go limp like a drunk because those dumb bastards almost always live when they should have died.

A .45 makes holes and a 30/30 takes the whole damn thing off.

The greatest weapon I have is my pen (or keyboard).

I could go on all night.
    I'm not ruining your life, you are, and I'm just going to write a short story about it.

Hannibal is offline Zombie Killin' Sheepdog
    Verified LEO
    How much I hate overtime

"Stupid should hurt."

deputysykes is offline Corporal
    Verified LEO
    You know you can cash that in for money, right?
    I'm not ruining your life, you are, and I'm just going to write a short story about it.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread Information