Welcome to the APBWeb.
    CHARTOTO is offline Officer First Class

Blood pressure meds

Hello all,

Well I went to the doctor today for a physical. Besides the fact that I smoke (already bagering me to quit wants to give me a pill called chantix)) the doc wants to put me on a blood pressure medication called Benicar, any of you guys/gals take this? Also can I still become a reserve officer on Blood pressure meds?

lewisipso is offline Injustice/Indifference/In God we trust
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    I don't take any meds but I think it would depend on the agency if it mattered. Check their policy and procedures.
    Do not war for peace. If you must war, war for justice. For without justice there is no peace. -me

We are who we choose to be.

R.I.P. Arielle. 08/20/2010-09/16/2012

Terminator is offline BANNED
    Quote Originally Posted by CHARTOTO View Post
    ...the doc wants to put me on a blood pressure medication called Benicar, any of you guys/gals take this? Also can I still become a reserve officer on Blood pressure meds?

As you already know, Benicar prevents the narrowing of veins and arteries.
    Benicar is used to treat high blood pressure.

Benicar has several side effects which could potentially cause a problem for you, working as an LEO. It all depends on how your body reacts to it.

I know a lot of LEO's that are on high blood pressure medecine because of the job. I doubt it would be a disqualifying factor in most agencies, as long as it's controlled, and wouldn't interfere with normal patrol duties. of course, that varies from agency to agency, as Lewisipso stated.

Here is a link for you, where you can get more information on Benicar:

http://www.drugs.com/benicar.html

TXCharlie is offline Former & Future Reserve Officer
    There are dozens of high blood preassure drugs, so if this one makes you fatigued or whatever after a month or so of trial, your doctor can try another one.

I've tried so many that I lost count, and the worst ones were Beta Blockers - Those damn things made me so fatigued, I barely had enough strength to raise my arm, but then they tried Cardizem which seemed to have no adverse effects on me.

They also tried diuretics like Lasix, but I had dizzy spells in hot weather and terrible leg and thigh cramps in the middle of the night - No fun at all!!! It'd scare my wife to death when I jumped out of bed hollering and started pacing around the room eating banannas and potassium supplements trying to stop those stupid cramps

(\__/)
    (='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
    (")_(") signature to help him gain world domination.

Terminator is offline BANNED
    Smoking, drinking heavily, and being obese do not help matters. If you fit into one of those three categories, it might be time for a lifestyle change.

TXCharlie is offline Former & Future Reserve Officer
    Yep, I've thought seriously about stopping my job hunt for another programming job, and just get a $10/hour security job or something that would give me some exercise.

I'm not sure my creditors would be very happy about the career change, but the more I think about it the better it sounds - I ain't getting any skinnier searching websites all day for jobs and posting here to keep from going postal, and I won't get any skinner sitting in front of a computer all day when I do find another programming job.

I hate the BS that goes along with programming these days anyway - That's half of my problem, I snack all day to make dealing with the damn managers and all their drama tolerable, and to relieve the boredom.

I've seriously thought about ordering Rimonabant, which is a diet drug not yet approved by the FDA, but available over the counter in Europe. It's expensive, but I hear it works. There's some question about it causing depression, but hell they're giving it to people already depressed. It's like saying asprin causes headaches. The fact that the damn Feds haven't approved it though would probably make it a capital crime to even try it.

(\__/)
    (='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
    (")_(") signature to help him gain world domination.

Quote Originally Posted by Terminator View Post
    Smoking, drinking heavily, and being obese do not help matters. If you fit into one of those three categories, it might be time for a lifestyle change.
    yup,, time for a lifestyle change!! stop smoking is top on the list... those meds are expensive!! 168.00 per month... thinking of quitting cold turkey to see what happens... get up off my lazy a## is number two...
    thanks

thanks too all that replied!!

Thread Information