Welcome to the APBWeb.

Thread: Being a Sheriff

noahp45 is offline Rookie
    Curently Okinawa Japan soon to go back to San Jacinto CA

Being a Sheriff

Is anybody here in the River Side California Sheriff's Department?
    I just had a few questions such as what it's like? what does the
    Armorer/Range Officer do? How do you get to patrol on the bicycle?

I'm due to get out of the Corps soon and I'm really interested into getting into law enforcement. Since I have a home in San Jacinto I was thinking about trying to be a Sheriff in riverside. I read on the website that" ifyou are a veteran you should apply a year out from the end of your enlistment." Is the written test hard or simple?

THANKS IN ADVANCE

Illiy is offline Corporal
    Quote Originally Posted by noahp45 View Post
    Is anybody here in the River Side California Sheriff's Department?
    I just had a few questions such as what it's like? what does the
    Armorer/Range Officer do? How do you get to patrol on the bicycle?

I'm due to get out of the Corps soon and I'm really interested into getting into law enforcement. Since I have a home in San Jacinto I was thinking about trying to be a Sheriff in riverside. I read on the website that" ifyou are a veteran you should apply a year out from the end of your enlistment." Is the written test hard or simple?

THANKS IN ADVANCE

Look into Riverside PD or San Bernardino Sheriff as good alternatives... RSO is good... but I would explore lots of opitions.

Willowdared is offline Bendy not Breaky
    The "year out" is because the time from testing/backgrounds/interviews can take about a year to complete.

There are a lot of agencies in the area, so if you are really interested, apply for them all.

Riverside is growing fast, so there are lots of opportunities.

Good luck!
    Molly Weasley makes Chuck Norris eat his vegetables.

Do not puff, shade, skew, tailor, firm up, stretch, massage,
    or otherwise distort statements of fact.
    FBI Special Agent Coleen Rowley

sgtpelon is offline Officer First Class
    There is an added benefit when you apply while still on active duty. Check with the agencies you are applying with, and you will find that some of them have an accelerated application process for active military personnel. Don't just limit yourself to the SO's office either. There are a lot of really good police departments in the area too. Start asking cops you run into what cities have a good rep. Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by sgtpelon View Post
    There is an added benefit when you apply while still on active duty. Check with the agencies you are applying with, and you will find that some of them have an accelerated application process for active military personnel. Don't just limit yourself to the SO's office either. There are a lot of really good police departments in the area too. Start asking cops you run into what cities have a good rep. Good luck.
    I appreciate the heads up, I'm currently in Japan so I will haft to wait until I'm on leave before I chase an Officer down.

jato is offline Deputy Sheriff

Sapper_132 is offline Master Turd Cutter
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    I have a few friends that work for RSO, a CPT, 2 LT's a SGT and a few Deputys. The test isn't hard unless it's changed since 2004. But yeah the year out thing is because it takes about that long or longer to get hired. Back ground will take the longest.

Range Officers are just that a ranger officer, you won't see that job for sometime usally about 5 yrs min. Bike patrol about the same amount of time.

Just to inform you incase you don't know. If you go to work for the SO (Sheriffs Office) you can be sure you'll do 2 yrs in the jail after the academy before you even see the road!
    Just because your sign off after you're shift is done, doesn't mean that it's over and put blinders on. You're a cop 24/7 wether you like it or not. If thats something you can't handle, you should find a new line of work!

Quote Originally Posted by jato View Post

Thanks for the information but I'm not trying to drive down to San Diego any more. I used to work at Miramar and I would just sit in traffic for hours before and after work. My plan is to go North in the Morning and South in the evening on the 15.

Just KC is offline Who?......Me?
    I work for RSO.....backgrounds take 6 months and currently jail time is about a year. You can call personel and get advice from one of the background investigators. I know of some that start backgrounds to get it done...and then werent ready for the upcoming academy and were able to hold out until the next one. Ours start every 3 months. We just had a class start on Monday...and then our next one is 3rd week in Oct. Good Luck!
    ~Karie

"I used to care
    but now I take a pill for that"

Thread Information