Welcome to the APBWeb.

Thread: A FEW CONCERNS

noahp45 is offline Rookie
    Curently Okinawa Japan soon to go back to San Jacinto CA

A FEW CONCERNS

Hello,

I知 very interested in becoming a Law Enforcement Officer however I have a few concerns. When I was 16 I stole money from my first employer, I was caught and talked to by a Police officer and a Chaplin, my mom came and picked me up. I was forced to pay a fine and go to a parenting class. At that time my parents were going thru a divorce we hardly had any money for rent let alone food and I was about to become a father. I was not arrested and I paid restitution I regret it very much. After that job I got a new job as a bagger for a grocery store then as soon as I turned 18 I became a checker (dealing with money). I left that job because I could not afford to be on my own so I moved to Ohio and got a job with Taco bell were I worked for 5 months (working with money). I then felt as if I needed a good supportive job and discipline so I entered the Marine Corps at a ripe age of 18. I have been going to school for a BA in Criminal Justice and I知 in charge of over hundred thousands of dollars worth of weapons because I知 a Small Arm Tech/Armorer. I will be getting out in a little over a year, at that time I will be 27 and have spent over 8 years in the military. I have never done a drug in my life besides trying marijuana a few times (haven't touched it sense) which was at the age of 16. I知 not trying to condone what I did, I know I messed up but my question is it possible for me to become a Police Officer? I mean if I was giving chances after my first job would the Department see as if I made an ignorant mistake and I would NEVER DO IT AGAIN. I really want to make a deference and help people I know that I would be a great law enforcement officer. Does any one have guidance for me? It痴 driving me crazy. I almost forgot I知 married and I have three children.

THANK YOU IN ADVANCE

jmur5074 is offline Moderator
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    Depends on where you're applying.

In MN, your inelligible if you've ever been convicted as an adult or adjudicated delinquent for theft.

I would say considering your age now, the amount of time that's passed, and your position in the military, you should have very few problems.

I do suggest though you check where you're applying for their requirements and regulations.
    No one has greater love than this, to lay down ones life for ones friends - John 15:13

"The Wicked Flee When No Man Pursueth: But The Righteous Are Bold As A Lion".

We lucky few, we band of brothers. For he who today sheds his blood with me shall be my brother.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~
    The opinions, beliefs, and ideas expressed in this post are mine, and mine alone. They are NOT the opinions, beliefs, ideas, or policies of my Agency, Police Chief, City Council, or any member of my department.

Quote Originally Posted by jmur5074 View Post
    Depends on where you're applying.

In MN, your inelligible if you've ever been convicted as an adult or adjudicated delinquent for theft.

I would say considering your age now, the amount of time that's passed, and your position in the military, you should have very few problems.

I do suggest though you check where you're applying for their requirements and regulations.
    I was never convicted it was some sort of deal that was arranged between the employer and local PD.

I'm trying to apply to Riverside CA.

Illiy is offline Corporal
    Quote Originally Posted by noahp45 View Post
    I was never convicted it was some sort of deal that was arranged between the employer and local PD.

I'm trying to apply to Riverside CA.
    They should take you... if not... apply to lapd and lateral out...

Quote Originally Posted by Illiy View Post
    They should take you... if not... apply to lapd and lateral out...

Yes Ma'am,
    I was thinking about trying for the LAPD however my home is in San Jacinto and I don't think I want to drive that far.

K9brando is offline Fun In The Snow!
    Verified LEO
    When asked about it tell the truth. Never lie about your past because it will come back to bite you in the behind. If they don't like what you say up-front then move on. I don't think you will have any problems though with as much military experience you have. Hell, in my department, if you have that much military expereince, you have a free ticket to get hired.
    I'm ready for spring!

NCC1701 is offline Meat Popsicle
    You have less issues than most recruits I have seen!

Just be honest and apply, if they do not want you then I guarantee there are dozens of departments out there that do.
    I did not get on with several "lesser" departments only to get on with mine and I LOVE it.

Be prepared to be patient and hear some BS from recruiters.
    I don't like repeat offenders I like DEAD offenders-
    Ted Nugent

Make the world a better place....punch a hippie in the face!

Former member of Cortinian Liberation Front and the JSA MACHATOC.

gozling is offline the gene pool could use a little chlorine
    i dont know about over on that side of the states but you would be fine with MDPD sheriffs office.

good luck to you

you seem like a good guy now and well heck.. we all screw up as teens... its who got caught doing it...
    sounds like it was handled well to due to you being a pretty good kid anyway... so that says a lot.

take care
    http://www.allpoetry.com/Grunts%20Girl

We dallied under
    Vine maples and sapling alders
    Searched for lady slippers
    But instead
    Found blackberry riots and
    Desiccated branches

An old skid road
    Brought ghost ferns and
    Hollows filled with
    Skunk cabbage
    While waves wrapped
    Intricate lacings of weeds
    'Round mule spinners

His cyanotic eyes
    Were hard enough to make
    The sun turn tail and
    Tender enough to attract me
    To his world of illusion

Cheech Guest
    Noah , I think you have a good chance. Go and apply

Crimebytes2 is offline Banned
    K9 said it best (honesty is always the best policy). You will never know unless you try. Good luck!

Tony is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by gozling View Post
    i dont know about over on that side of the states but you would be fine with MDPD sheriffs office.

good luck to you

you seem like a good guy now and well heck.. we all screw up as teens... its who got caught doing it...
    sounds like it was handled well to due to you being a pretty good kid anyway... so that says a lot.

take care
    I'm with the educated one above.

Good luck mate.

Just KC is offline Who?......Me?
    Noah..I don't think RSO would have a problem with it. Every case is dealt with on individual case by case...but I know deputies with us with worse pasts..and yours is over 10 years ago. Apply and try! Good Luck!
    ~Karie

"I used to care
    but now I take a pill for that"

Thank you Ladies and Gentlemen,

for the words of encouragement, I appreciate it.
    I'm a little more relieved.

Thread Information