Welcome to the APBWeb.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Pretty Boring Civi is offline Officer First Class

A Getting Pulled Over Question

Hi folks.

I've only ever been pulled over a couple of times by an LEO, and both times were in daylight, traveling with my husband. I did the whole "turn off my car and rest my hands on the steering wheel" thing before the officers approached to show I was not a threat, and I was friendly and cheerful through out the entire encounters. I cheerfully accepted my citations (You see, I have a charming little habit of ordering updated tags for my car -- then leaving them sitting on the kitchen counter for several months.) and paid them -- no biggie.

But here is a question that I strongly wonder about.

If I'm traveling alone at night, and I see lights behind me, what should I do? I know the obvious answer is pull over, but I can't tell at that point if it's really a legitimate LEO. (I'm not paranoid, but I do believe in taking basic safety precautions.)

Assuming you're the legitimate LEO who is flashing at me to pull over, is it generally acceptable for me to put on my flashers and drive to a well-lit and/or well-populated location before stopping? Would you read that as my intention, or would it look like I was trying to flee?

I would very much appreciate your advice.

Beans is offline Street Cop
    Verified LEO
    I have actually had that happen to me. An old lady refused to stop because she was scared. I thought she was drunk at first. My advise is to pull over in a well lit area. I know that I might be a little pissed off at first but could understand why a woman alone at night might be scared and would understand.
    The opinions given in my posts DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "Beans" on LEF.

Quote Originally Posted by Beans View Post
    I have actually had that happen to me. An old lady refused to stop because she was scared. I thought she was drunk at first. My advise is to pull over in a well lit area. I know that I might be a little pissed off at first but could understand why a woman alone at night might be scared and would understand.
    Thanks very much Beans. Would turning on my flashers help communicate my intent?

Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boring Civi View Post
    Thanks very much Beans. Would turning on my flashers help communicate my intent?
    Probably, but if you get a jerk(some cops are jerks if you can bvelieve that) you might be in for an ass chewing.
    The opinions given in my posts DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "Beans" on LEF.

Terminator is offline BANNED

Absolutely. Put on your four way flashers, and slow down.

Here's a better solution though. If you have a cell phone, call 911 and tell them you believe you have an officer from so-and-so agency behind you, on such and such street, and you would like to confirm it's legitimacy.

Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by Terminator View Post
    Absolutely. Put on your four way flashers, and slow down.

Here's a better solution though. If you have a cell phone, call 911 and tell them you believe you have an officer from so-and-so agency behind you, on such and such street, and you would like to confirm it's legitimacy.
    Good call.

lewisipso is offline Injustice/Indifference/In God we trust
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    My standard response to this question is slow way down, pull into the far right lane if on a multi lane road, put on your flashers and proceed directly to your next well lit area. Preferably public. A few witnessess around makes it better for the violator and me.
    Do not war for peace. If you must war, war for justice. For without justice there is no peace. -me

We are who we choose to be.

R.I.P. Arielle. 08/20/2010-09/16/2012

countybear is offline BDRT - Baby Daddy Removal Team
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by lewisipso View Post
    My standard response to this question is slow way down, pull into the far right lane if on a multi lane road, put on your flashers and proceed directly to your next well lit area. Preferably public. A few witnessess around makes it better for the violator and me.
    Perfect response. +1

"The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money."
    - Alexis de Tocqueville, Democracy in America

Tell me not, Sweet, I am unkind,
    That from the nunnery
    Of thy chaste breast and quiet mind
    To war and arms I fly.
    - Lovelace

The opinions expressed by this poster are wholly his own, and should never be construed to even remotely be in representation of his employer, its agencies or assigns. In fact, they probably fail to be in alignment with the opinions of any rational human being.

Tuff is offline Redneckwannabepopo
    A Officer that I was with the other night pulled over a woman in almost the same senerio that you have laid out, it was on a county road and very dark, we were in a new Chevy Yukon patrol unit, she said she was uneasy about letting her window down or unlocking her car because of what she called a stange looking cop car...The Officer simply told her, call 911 or this number (dispatch) and verify where you are at and they will tell you that I'm real..

My appoligies....
    Last edited by Tuff; 08-03-07 at 05:47 PM. Reason: Just noticed I was not supposed to answer posts in here

spd110 is offline 110
    You could try extending your middle finger in the rear view mirror then speeding up but that probably wouldn't work very well.

Most of the time late at night people just point to a parking lot nearby and drive that way. Makes me feel better too if they pull into a parking lot. Hate standing on the main road at o'drunk thirty.

smokey703 is offline I'm Bi-WINNING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Verified LEO
    During the serial killer scare I tried to stop a car, woman alone in the vehicle, and ended up on a 7 mile trip at about 20 mph. until she finally stopped. Once she stopped I got a call from my dispatchers and they told me that they had this woman on the other line telling them that she needed the police because the serial killer was behind her in a police car. I was laughing so hard that I couldn't write her a ticket.
    Wise men stand behind me, brave men stand beside me, but only fools stand against me.

The force that propels you to prevail when you are put to a test of survival will be a mindset that refuses to accept nothing but winning.

Too often, we lose sight of life's simple pleasures. Remember, when someone annoys you it takes 42 muscles in your face to frown, BUT, it only takes 4 muscles to reach out and bitch slap that motherf*cker upside the head.

And we have a winner

Quote Originally Posted by spd110 View Post
    You could try extending your middle finger in the rear view mirror then speeding up
    I think this would make for the most INTERESTING evening, so I think I'll try THIS one first. You'll come and bail me out, right spd110?

Seriously, though, thank you all for the responses and suggestions. It sounds like you've all run into this issue and, as long as I use common sense and common courtesy, I should be fine.

Have a nice Friday, y'all. I'm off to a spouse date.

-Kathy

BEK
    BEK is offline Lieutenant
    Verified LEO
    I will say this. The whole fake cop thing is way over played. I can understand if you only see one red or blue flashing lights to be worried and to find a well lit area. However if you see a car behind you with a full lightbar or lights all over the place I would eat my hat if it wasnt a cop. I have called out a pursuit on a female who was scared to stop and I had a fully marked squad car with a lightbar. The internet and other stories are just strange. Sure I know people pretend to be a cop but it is very few and far between that I ever hear of the fake cop pulling someone over and when I hear it the person only saw one or two lights in the guys dash. Also IF you refuse to stop for the suspicious "cop" car and you continue to drive once you see another one and another one and another one join then you will find out that it is a real cop.
    If you do stop for a car and your unsure if its a cop dont roll your window down all the way, keep your door locked. Once you see someone if full uniform approach your vehicle then chances are that it is the police and you can roll your window down further. IMO the chances of being pulled over by a fake cop is low and you have a better chance of being killed by a buffalo

Terminator is offline BANNED
    Quote Originally Posted by BEK View Post
    I IMO the chances of being pulled over by a fake cop is low and you have a better chance of being killed by a buffalo
    A wild buffalo, or just a buffalo?

BEK
    BEK is offline Lieutenant
    Verified LEO
    A wild one

jmur5074 is offline Moderator
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    I would have to agree with BEK.

I'd say the likelyhood of a fake cop stopping you is slim to none.

And even if you do get stopped by a fake cop, I'd say the likelyhood of him/her raping/murdering/robbing you is even less.

I've noticed a lot of the fake cops who stop people, only do it to appear to have authority. They write fake tickets, or give out verbal warnings.
    No one has greater love than this, to lay down ones life for ones friends - John 15:13

"The Wicked Flee When No Man Pursueth: But The Righteous Are Bold As A Lion".

We lucky few, we band of brothers. For he who today sheds his blood with me shall be my brother.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~
    The opinions, beliefs, and ideas expressed in this post are mine, and mine alone. They are NOT the opinions, beliefs, ideas, or policies of my Agency, Police Chief, City Council, or any member of my department.

TXCharlie is offline Former & Future Reserve Officer
    Quote Originally Posted by jmur5074 View Post
    I would have to agree with BEK.
    I'd say the likelyhood of a fake cop stopping you is slim to none.
    But they ARE out there - There have probably been a dozen fake cop stops I've heard about around Dallas over the past year or so (including some posing as SWAT officers and robbing people in apartment parking lots).

Usually they stop women to fondle them and crap like that. I think I heard about another one today, but I can't find it on the web.

I DID however find a story about fake cops stealing a convinience store's video games a couple of days ago
    http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcont...1.42c0943.html

07:53 AM CDT on Thursday, August 2, 2007

Fake police officers steal stores' gaming machines

Two men posing as police officers have stolen gaming machines from convenience stores across North Texas. They walked into stores, told clerks the machines were illegal and pretended to confiscate them, police say....

(\__/)
    (='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
    (")_(") signature to help him gain world domination.

spd110 is offline 110
    I think this would make for the most INTERESTING evening, so I think I'll try THIS one first. You'll come and bail me out, right spd110?

-Kathy
    Sure

TXCharlie is offline Former & Future Reserve Officer
    Quote Originally Posted by spd110 View Post
    You could try extending your middle finger in the rear view mirror then speeding up but that probably wouldn't work very well.
    Would it work better for me, with my loaded guns in my waistand & pocket, or would that be what doctors call "complications" right after their patient dies?

(\__/)
    (='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
    (")_(") signature to help him gain world domination.

Jenna is offline sheep
    Premium Lifetime Member
    IMO the chances of being pulled over by a fake cop is low and you have a better chance of being killed by a buffalo
    Quote Originally Posted by Terminator View Post
    A wild buffalo, or just a buffalo?
    A wild one

I googled the phrase "killed by a buffalo" and got 8,980 hits. But "killed by a wild buffalo" only got 428 hits. So clearly regular buffalos are an even greater risk than wild buffalos.

So if a buffalo is following me, should I call 911?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information