Welcome to the APBWeb.
    Tuff is offline Redneckwannabepopo

A question for the Texan's

It looks like I will miss my window of opportunity to make the fall class at WC.....for my Associates Degree.....so I took a look a TCC's info and found the Basic Officers Course..

Now my question is by taking just the Basic officers course, would you think it would give me the knowledge to pass the TCLOUSE???

I do know that with a A.D. in CJ it pays about 75.00 a month more for the dept. that I'm looking at, but in truth I'm not doing this for the money, or should I say the lack of money...

Give some info guys.......

spd110 is offline 110
    I haven't checked the stats the past year or two, but in the past, TCC's academy actually had a higher TCLEOSE passing rate than WC's academy. Just food for thought.

TXPO710 is offline Dumb ole' Cowboy
    Verified LEO
    All the acadamys give you the knowledge to pass TCLEOSE, if you study and pay attention. I went through SACC, passe first time. Graduated on Tue and tested on Fri.

TXCharlie is offline Former & Future Reserve Officer
    Some food for thought... There is a legitimate "correspondence" university that for like $1000will transfer your Police Academy training into accredited university hours and give you an Associates degree with very few additional hours (since our police academy is something like 700 hours, if I remember right).

I think it's in Phoenix, but don't quote me on that - Our police academy assistant director told us about it, so I can ask again if that sounds like something that you may want to investigate.

I can't say how good of a reputation it has with potential employers, since they've probably heard of the university and know what it is, but it's an honest degree - Police Academy should CERTAINLY count toward a CJ degree if you think about it.

I don't know why most colleges won't accept THEIR OWN Police Academy hours as CJ college credits... The fact that they don't is just stupid.

(\__/)
    (='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
    (")_(") signature to help him gain world domination.

Tuff is offline Redneckwannabepopo
    Thanks for the info...... I had a chance to speak with some of our finest last night and found that by just taking the BOC is basically the fastest route to where I want to go.....now I just need to gather up all the info on cost ect.

But once again Thanks...
    http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm...ndid=197722498

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - George Orwell

Cochese is offline The Grand Royal
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by TXCharlie View Post
    Some food for thought... There is a legitimate "correspondence" university that for like $1000will transfer your Police Academy training into accredited university hours and give you an Associates degree with very few additional hours (since our police academy is something like 700 hours, if I remember right).

I think it's in Phoenix, but don't quote me on that - Our police academy assistant director told us about it, so I can ask again if that sounds like something that you may want to investigate.

I can't say how good of a reputation it has with potential employers, since they've probably heard of the university and know what it is, but it's an honest degree - Police Academy should CERTAINLY count toward a CJ degree if you think about it.

I don't know why most colleges won't accept THEIR OWN Police Academy hours as CJ college credits... The fact that they don't is just stupid.

Rio Salado CC in Maricopa County. I did it back when it was $600 and picked up 39 credits with my TCLEOSE basic. I'm thinking about doing it again here in Colorado to get above 60 credits.

madecov is offline Rookie
    All academies teach to pass TCLEOSE.
    If they had a high failure rate they wouldn't be able to stay in business.

Good luck
    $10.00 transfers in Houston Texas

There are no problems in life that can not be handled by the judicious use of small arms and high explosives.

In God we trust..........All others are suspects

ManImBored is offline Ninja In Training
    Verified LEO
    In TX one of the easiest things to do is put yourself through the academy. I paid my own way and went through one at a community college. That way you can apply anywhere you want. It gives you alot more leverage in where you can apply. The only draw back, you have to pay and usually you cant work while you do it.
    "Sometimes doing the right thing, is not doing the right thing."

TXPO710 is offline Dumb ole' Cowboy
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by ManImBored View Post
    only draw back, you have to pay and usually you cant work while you do it.
    San Antonio has 2 comunity colleges that have a night class 6 - 10, day class 9 - 1, and a weekend class. They'll useually let you hit one of the other classes to do make up, so working while going is doable.

ManImBored is offline Ninja In Training
    Verified LEO
    Yea its possible. The one I went to was M-F 7:30-5:30 for 16 weeks. They have a night academy M-F 6-10 but its 32 weeks. I didnt want to take a chance of forgetting anything from the beginning of the academy so I just did the day one.
    "Sometimes doing the right thing, is not doing the right thing."

Thread Information