Welcome to the APBWeb.

View Poll Results: Do you find public sex offender registries helpful in your jobs?

Voters
19. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I think they are appropriately broad and detailed in my state (i.e., they give people enough information to make rational, safe judgements).

5 26.32%
  • Yes, I think the registries in my state help citizens protect themselves.

7 36.84%
  • No, I think they're too broad in my state (i.e., they mix violent and nonviolent offenders and "Romeo and Juliett" scenarios with child molesters).

7 36.84%
  • No, because they create conflict among neighbors and spawn vigilante crimes.

1 5.26%
  • I prefer not to comment.

0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll.
    Pretty Boring Civi is offline Officer First Class

Do you find that public sex offender registries help you in your jobs?

Hi everyone.

Please let me know if this issue is too controversial to discuss, and I'll never bring it up again.

I've been hearing in the media about public sex offender registries, and that got me to wondering.

Do you find public sex offender registries helpful in your jobs?

In the states in which you work, do you think the registries are appropriately broad (i.e., they include an appropriate range of offenses and details.)?

Or are they so broad that they're not useful (i.e., mix violent and non-violent offenders, mix "Romeo and Julliette" scenarios with child molesters)?

Do they seem to be helping people protect themselves.

Or do they seem to be causing neighborhood conflicts and vigilante crimes.

It seems as though they would be loaded with positives and negatives, and it would be interesting to hear from LEOs who are, after all, out on the front lines.

Jim1348 is offline Rookie
    Verified LEO
    Your question isn't controversial, but my answer might be. I think that it is fine that they have the registries, but it probably gives some people a false sense of security, if you know what I mean. For example, someone might look and see no Level Three Sex Offenders listed for their ZIP code. I can look at that same ZIP code and I know that some sex offenders live nearbywithout looking at whether or not they are listed there in the registration system.

lewisipso is offline Injustice/Indifference/In God we trust
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    No. I'd stand a better chance knowing someone was an offender by asking them. And thats no chance at all.
    We have so many sex offenders in La the state can't even keep up. It stays out of date.
    Do not war for peace. If you must war, war for justice. For without justice there is no peace. -me

We are who we choose to be.

R.I.P. Arielle. 08/20/2010-09/16/2012

pc830cop is offline Just another squirrel looking for a NUT
    Verified LEO
    I recently found a "loophole" in the registered sex offender program.

The state of California requires a sex offender (PC 290) to register with the police department in the jurisdiction he resides.

I found one living on military property and was not registered. He tried to register with the Navy Police and was turned away. He tried to register with the city outside the gate and they turned him away because he lives on federal property.

He carries a letter he wrote to the Navy Chief of Police and the reply!

This is just the tip of the iceberg when dealing with the military.

Searching for Evil and the Perfect donut (Love that book)

"It's not who you are underneath, but what you do that defines you"
    -Batman Begins

There are gains for all our losses
    There are balms for all our pain
    But, when youth, the dream, departs
    It takes something from our hearts
    And it never comes again

"Captain, it is I Ensign Pulver. I just threw your damn palm tree overboard. Now, what's all this crap about no movie tonight?" -Ens Pulver in Mister Roberts

The man who will go where his colors go, without asking who will fight a phantom foe in the jungle and mountain range, without counting, and who will suffer and die in the midst of incredible hardship, without complaint, is still what he has always been, from Imperial Rome to sceptered Britain to democratic America. He is the stuff of which legions are made. ...His pride is in his colors and his regiment, his training hard and thorough and coldly realistic, to fit him for what he must face...and his obedience is to his orders. He has been called United State Marine.
    T.R. Fehrenbach, This Kind of War

BEK
    BEK is offline Lieutenant
    Verified LEO
    Let me say that controversial subjects are allowed at LEF, we always like to hear all sides of a subject. We know that our members can discuss topics and voice their opinions in a mature way. We encourage members to discuss issues but do so in a responsible and mature way.

countybear is offline BDRT - Baby Daddy Removal Team
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    It is important to remember that we access official databases professionally, so public databases are just duplicity of information. That being said, I have found registry information listed publicly that wasn't accessed by our communications (or properly relayed), so duplicity can be a good thing. I do keep our State sex offender registry bookmarked on my laptop in my unit, and find it useful, especially when doing a geographic search, rather than specific name search.

When dealing with a reported offense, I will consult both databases to ensure that the suspect isn't listed with priors. The public database is also helpful in identifying persons nearby when suspect information is unknown. Although not a clear indicator of a suspect, it is helpful as an investigative tool, and much moreso than a namesearch database. So, I do find it useful.

One of the biggest problems I find in the scope of offenses is that it spurs plea bargains to non-sexual offenses, as in a case that I was involved in where the offender was charged with performing a "solo" sexual act in presence of two elderly females publicly, but managed to get his attorney to stipulate that he was only urinating and plea to the non-sexual offense, which although carried the same penalty, was not considered mandatorily registerable. (Bravo for the prosecutor )

I believe such databases do assist the public in remaining guarded and alert, however I do not know of a single retaliatory or vigilante action (spurred by the public registry) taking place in the area where I work.

Hope this helped.

"The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money."
    - Alexis de Tocqueville, Democracy in America

Tell me not, Sweet, I am unkind,
    That from the nunnery
    Of thy chaste breast and quiet mind
    To war and arms I fly.
    - Lovelace

The opinions expressed by this poster are wholly his own, and should never be construed to even remotely be in representation of his employer, its agencies or assigns. In fact, they probably fail to be in alignment with the opinions of any rational human being.

Pretty Boring Civi is offline Officer First Class
    Thanks for taking the time to respond. That was pretty interesting, and I learned a couple of things I hadn't thought of before. You guys are really cool to shoot the breeze with us that way.

slick628 is offline Rollin' Deep
    Verified LEO
    I feel it goes both ways...it's good for the community to know who is in their neighborhood (assuming the list is updated) but I've also seen problems. Here is one specific situation that I delt with a couple of weeks ago:

Neighbors get a notice saying a sex offender has just moved to the area, but no other details are given. Neighbors have a huge party, kids are waging hell throughout the neighborhood, and a nice, but creepy looking guy who is enjoying a bottle of wine with his wife on the porch steps off and tells the kids to "come here" so that he can tell them to stay off his lawn, out of his gardens, and to shut the hell up. Immediately, the parents call me assuming he is the sex offender and they are just short of wanting him lynched. Investigation later determined that he is NOT the sex offender, but just protecting his privacy.

End of it all, it can skew the perception of the community
    "That's how we roll"

Thread Information