Welcome to the APBWeb.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 26

Thread: Speeding

  1. #1
    RaistlinOrr is offline Rookie
    Join Date
    08-07-07
    Location
    Missouri
    Posts
    12
    Rep Power
    0

    Speeding

    Hello I have a few questions reguarding speeding as someone who is looking to be in lawenforcment hopefully within the next two years.

    First be honest as a cop do you ever speed in your personal vehical?
    If so are you more lenient on other speeders?

    How important to you is the whole speeding issue?

    I will admit I do speed normally five over some times a little more. I have over come all of my other issues but this one it seems to stick with me and it does bother me knowing I will have to pull other over for the same thing.

    Anyway thanks for your input.

    Raist

  2. #2
    Pudge's Avatar
    Pudge is online now Site Admin
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Join Date
    12-04-05
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    10,320
    Rep Power
    8591418
    I don't drive any faster than what I would cut someone a break for given the conditions. If I get a ticket in that situation I suck it up and pay it. Haven't gotten one yet.
    "Like" us on facebook! https://www.facebook.com/pages/Offic...93147194083228

    Follow members of O/R as they tweet a "Ride a long" on their shifts on the front page of the site and on twitter at the following links:

    www.twitter.com/PoliceRideAlong
    www.twitter.com/lewisipso
    www.twitter.com/ORgopher
    www.twitter.com/SecondChance122
    www.twitter.com/pojmm
    www.twitter.com/ORGIB

    The opinions given in my posts & threads DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "Pudge" on Officerresource.com

  3. #3
    Twan007's Avatar
    Twan007 is online now The People
    Verified LEO
    Join Date
    02-14-07
    Location
    Baton Rouge, Louisiana
    Posts
    1,403
    Rep Power
    821465
    Quote Originally Posted by Pudge113 View Post
    I don't drive any faster than what I would cut someone a break for given the conditions. If I get a ticket in that situation I suck it up and pay it. Haven't gotten one yet.
    +1 same here, if I would write a ticket for whatever violation, I make sure that I don't do it in my personal vehicle - can't have a double standard, too many folks don't like cops already
    -=Twan007


    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine.

    Not one shred of evidence supports the notion that life is serious.





    The opinions expressed by this poster are wholly his own, and should never be construed to even remotely be in alignment with his employer. Matter of fact, the poster will deny any knowledge of any post... this message will self-destruct in 5 seconds...

  4. #4
    deputysykes's Avatar
    deputysykes is offline Corporal
    Verified LEO
    Join Date
    05-16-06
    Location
    Midwest US
    Posts
    934
    Rep Power
    295607
    Ditto. I often drive 10-15 over in my personal vehicle. Therefore, there are only two reasons I'll stop a person for speeding: Speeding over 15 or PASSING ME WHEN I'M DRIVING IN MY CLEARLY MARKED POLICE CAR. Man I think that's so stupid.
    I'm not ruining your life, you are, and I'm just going to write a short story about it.

  5. #5
    countybear's Avatar
    countybear is offline BDRT - Baby Daddy Removal Team
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Join Date
    01-18-07
    Location
    Louisiana
    Posts
    6,512
    Rep Power
    4611629
    I never knowingly violate the law. That includes speeding.

    "The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money."
    - Alexis de Tocqueville, Democracy in America

    Tell me not, Sweet, I am unkind,
    That from the nunnery
    Of thy chaste breast and quiet mind
    To war and arms I fly.
    - Lovelace

    The opinions expressed by this poster are wholly his own, and should never be construed to even remotely be in representation of his employer, its agencies or assigns. In fact, they probably fail to be in alignment with the opinions of any rational human being.

  6. #6
    kjlaw's Avatar
    kjlaw is offline Swamp Mafia Proud!!!
    Verified LEO
    Join Date
    05-11-06
    Location
    Laplace, Louisiana
    Posts
    3,044
    Rep Power
    429574
    I drive the speed limit in my POV.
    Lead from the front and always remember those who came first.



    Capt. Ocativo "OX" Gonzalez
    EOW 6/16/06


    Always remember that a casket is hotter than your vest.

    Quote Originally Posted by conalabu View Post
    Soon the whole world will be in the hands of the Swamp Mafia.

  7. #7
    jmur5074's Avatar
    jmur5074 is offline Moderator
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    Join Date
    12-04-05
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    9,051
    Rep Power
    6232623
    Quote Originally Posted by countybear View Post
    I never knowingly violate the law. That includes speeding.
    +1

    Not to sound crass, but I think the best way to get over that problem, is to stop speeding.
    No one has greater love than this, to lay down ones life for ones friends - John 15:13

    "The Wicked Flee When No Man Pursueth: But The Righteous Are Bold As A Lion".

    We lucky few, we band of brothers. For he who today sheds his blood with me shall be my brother.

    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~
    The opinions, beliefs, and ideas expressed in this post are mine, and mine alone. They are NOT the opinions, beliefs, ideas, or policies of my Agency, Police Chief, City Council, or any member of my department.

  8. #8
    TXPO710's Avatar
    TXPO710 is offline Dumb ole' Cowboy
    Verified LEO
    Join Date
    10-03-06
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    390
    Rep Power
    197841
    Quote Originally Posted by countybear View Post
    I never knowingly violate the law. That includes speeding.
    +2. I have occasionaly zoned out and caught myself over limit though. Honestly it depends on circumstances for each stop. I have my own set of write or not standards as I'm sure we all do.

  9. #9
    Jks9199 is offline The Reason People Hate Cops & Causer of War
    Verified LEO
    Join Date
    04-16-06
    Location
    Northern VA
    Posts
    4,128
    Rep Power
    6583115
    Yes, I sometimes speed when I'm off the clock. (Sometimes, on the clock, I have to drive like a maniac... but safer!) Like some others, I try to stay within "reasonable" sight of the speed limit where I probably wouldn't cite a driver. Professional courtesy starts with not giving the other guy a reason to stop me... Similar thinking applies to other violations; I've rolled a stop sign or two in my life, I've been late renewing tags or getting my car inspected, and so on. There's a reasonable line, and I'll listen to an explanation. While I may have an idea when I stop the car if I'm citing or not -- that decision is absolutely able to be influenced by the driver's conduct and explanation. Either way... Had more than one talk himself INTO a ticket.

    However -- with all that said -- you're a prospective applicant. One of the things that will derail an application real fast is a bad driving record. Get that lead foot under control... (It also worries me a little that you seem to be asking "what laws can I get away with breaking?" because that kind of implies maybe a bit of an integrity issue...)

  10. #10
    Join Date
    05-27-07
    Location
    Beautiful Northern California
    Posts
    34
    Rep Power
    1771
    as for me, well I drive like an angel (polishing halo) so have never had any tickets
    Well behaved women rarely make history.

  11. #11
    phantasm is offline Corporal
    Verified LEO
    Join Date
    01-21-07
    Posts
    1,360
    Rep Power
    403370
    I'm not trained/certified in speeding, so I drive as fast as I want.

  12. #12
    RaistlinOrr is offline Rookie
    Join Date
    08-07-07
    Location
    Missouri
    Posts
    12
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Jks9199 View Post
    Yes, I sometimes speed when I'm off the clock. (Sometimes, on the clock, I have to drive like a maniac... but safer!) Like some others, I try to stay within "reasonable" sight of the speed limit where I probably wouldn't cite a driver. Professional courtesy starts with not giving the other guy a reason to stop me... Similar thinking applies to other violations; I've rolled a stop sign or two in my life, I've been late renewing tags or getting my car inspected, and so on. There's a reasonable line, and I'll listen to an explanation. While I may have an idea when I stop the car if I'm citing or not -- that decision is absolutely able to be influenced by the driver's conduct and explanation. Either way... Had more than one talk himself INTO a ticket.

    However -- with all that said -- you're a prospective applicant. One of the things that will derail an application real fast is a bad driving record. Get that lead foot under control... (It also worries me a little that you seem to be asking "what laws can I get away with breaking?" because that kind of implies maybe a bit of an integrity issue...)

    I take that last part sort of harshly. I am not asking what I can get away with in the way of breaking laws.

    I understand clearly that my driving five or a little over is breaking the law. I am simply asking if others do this. I ask because I just seem to drive comfortably at that speed not to fast and certainly not dangerously.

    I am asking because I would feel bad pulling some one over and giving a ticket for a few over when I do it myself. I don't want to be that type of person. I am simply asking what others do and feel and what they think.

    I most certainly am NOT asking what I can get away with. I would answer honestly any question ask of me and have before in the past. I wanted to know if others cut people slack for such things.

    I ask an honest question my first here. Now suddenly my integrity is on the line for a question.


    Thanks
    Raist

  13. #13
    RaistlinOrr is offline Rookie
    Join Date
    08-07-07
    Location
    Missouri
    Posts
    12
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by jmur5074 View Post
    +1

    Not to sound crass, but I think the best way to get over that problem, is to stop speeding.


    That sounds great. I tend to always find myself driving five or so over though. I slow down next thing I know I am back to where I was.


    Nothing hugh though at times I have had tickets. It has been some time though thankfully.

    I just want to get a feeling of how others think when it comes to doing job vs. doing what you feel is right.
    I personally would not feel right giving some one a ticket for going a little over since I do it myself that is why I am asking. It is sort of a future advise from those who know and have a respected opinion.

    Thanks
    Raist

  14. #14
    jmur5074's Avatar
    jmur5074 is offline Moderator
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    Join Date
    12-04-05
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    9,051
    Rep Power
    6232623
    Quote Originally Posted by RaistlinOrr View Post
    That sounds great. I tend to always find myself driving five or so over though. I slow down next thing I know I am back to where I was.


    Nothing hugh though at times I have had tickets. It has been some time though thankfully.

    I just want to get a feeling of how others think when it comes to doing job vs. doing what you feel is right.
    I personally would not feel right giving some one a ticket for going a little over since I do it myself that is why I am asking. It is sort of a future advise from those who know and have a respected opinion.

    Thanks
    Raist
    If that's the case, take an ethics class.
    Hopefully an academy or college you go to will offer one.
    No one has greater love than this, to lay down ones life for ones friends - John 15:13

    "The Wicked Flee When No Man Pursueth: But The Righteous Are Bold As A Lion".

    We lucky few, we band of brothers. For he who today sheds his blood with me shall be my brother.

    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~
    The opinions, beliefs, and ideas expressed in this post are mine, and mine alone. They are NOT the opinions, beliefs, ideas, or policies of my Agency, Police Chief, City Council, or any member of my department.

  15. #15
    Jks9199 is offline The Reason People Hate Cops & Causer of War
    Verified LEO
    Join Date
    04-16-06
    Location
    Northern VA
    Posts
    4,128
    Rep Power
    6583115
    Quote Originally Posted by RaistlinOrr View Post
    I take that last part sort of harshly. I am not asking what I can get away with in the way of breaking laws.

    I understand clearly that my driving five or a little over is breaking the law. I am simply asking if others do this. I ask because I just seem to drive comfortably at that speed not to fast and certainly not dangerously.

    I am asking because I would feel bad pulling some one over and giving a ticket for a few over when I do it myself. I don't want to be that type of person. I am simply asking what others do and feel and what they think.

    I most certainly am NOT asking what I can get away with. I would answer honestly any question ask of me and have before in the past. I wanted to know if others cut people slack for such things.

    I ask an honest question my first here. Now suddenly my integrity is on the line for a question.


    Thanks
    Raist
    Let's see... I phrased that VERY softly, because I realized that may not have been the intent. Let me copy what I wrote for you:
    (It also worries me a little that you seem to be asking "what laws can I get away with breaking?" because that kind of implies maybe a bit of an integrity issue...)
    Note, first, that I put it in parens. It's an aside. It's not intended to carry the same weight as the rest of it. Next, note the words I bolded here: little, seem, implies, maybe, bit. All of those words suggest smallness or slightness, and mere impression -- not fact. It's easy enough for you to correct -- or to realize that your question can be read that way.

    By no means did I say you lack integrity. I DID call you a lead foot; by your own admission, you drive over the limit, and I find that most people's admissions on something like that are along the lines of a drunk's mythical "2 beers." Or an internet dater's attractiveness...

    And you blow up over it.

    Let me make a few guesses here. I'm bet you're between 17 and 20 years old, since you say that you'll be applying "in 2 years." The attitude in your post doesn't come across like you're serving in the military with 2 years to go... By the way, please don't announce your age. Especially on an open internet forum; it's just not smart.

    Now, let me address the third question you asked:
    "How important to you is the whole speeding issue?"

    VERY important, depending on the circumstances. A car travels 1.466 feet per second for every mile per hour. That means that at "just 5 over" the posted limit of 25 mph, you're travelling about 44 feet per second. Average reaction time is around 2 seconds to see something, recognize it, decide what to do, and do it. That means you've travelled almost 100 feet by the time you're dealing with something that just happened. (It only gets worse as you get faster... I don't understand people following each other at 20 feet or less while driving 70 to 80 mph! They've got ZERO chance of avoiding a crash...)

    But, even worse than that... The kinetic energy involved in your car varies exponentially; velocity is squared in the formula. That means that an increase of just 10% over the limit (that "just a few over" we're talking about) produces a 21% increase in the kinetic energy that your car is pushing around. It gets worse as you get faster...

    So... speeding is kinda important. It's one of the least acknowledged, but also one of the most common, factors in a crash -- and it's got a very powerful relationship with the severity of a crash.

  16. #16
    RaistlinOrr is offline Rookie
    Join Date
    08-07-07
    Location
    Missouri
    Posts
    12
    Rep Power
    0
    Jks9199

    I understand your calling me a lead foot and yes I admit to that.

    But I don't think anyone should ever even lightly imply something about another. This is the land where we are innocent until proven guilty. So to even lightly imply is putting forth guilt that is undeserved.

    Face to face is a different story we can use other senses to judge and collect information on the other person. But for now I would take your word unless I can prove otherwise.
    For instance if you were to say "the grass is red here" I would wonder why at first but say well ok I am sure it can happen some how. But if I go there and it is green then I know you’re wrong.
    So until you can say you know me better than I do myself there is no need to imply anything about me that I have yet to tell you.

    As for my age you are making an assumption much like the “I have only had two beers” thing and you are wrong. This is why implying and assuming can be a dangerous thing as we can put ourselves in a very bad situation with how other view us.

    I know not every one out there is going to like me, nor will everyone respect me. I will not say or believe otherwise. But I do believe in giving people the benefit of the doubt even though I have been screwed over many times I still give people a chance.

    I simply feel you judged me incorrectly and let you know about it. If you feel you are in the right and did nothing wrong so be it, I feel judged though when there is suggestion that I might be something other than I am.

    You are probably a great person face to face, or you might be someone with no sense of humor what so ever. I have no idea but I am not going to make that judgment call until I have a little more interaction with you.

    I deal with people that imply things everyday and I let them know when they are wrong to. I will stand up for what I feel is right and I know I am right when I said what I did about my speeding. I drive five or little over the limit. I know it is wrong, I work on slowing down but find myself driving at that speed again. I simply ask what others thought. You might have made the statement you did with no intention or meaning behind it. I was only correcting that statement and you if you had intention in that way.

    Take what I say how ever you like I told what I felt and how I am. If my word is not good enough for you then so be it. Have I had a past that went the wrong direction? Yes. But I pulled out of my past and took hold of my future. My speeding still remains with me though and I am working on that as well. I will answer anything ask of me without fear or worry. I did things I did and learned from my wrongs.

    Anyway it has been a long day for me and I am now ready to settle back and relax.
    Have a nice day/night which ever it might be for you shift wise but I am done for the day.
    Perhaps later we can come to a understanding or a middle ground.

    Thanks
    Raist

  17. #17
    jmur5074's Avatar
    jmur5074 is offline Moderator
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    Join Date
    12-04-05
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    9,051
    Rep Power
    6232623
    Quote Originally Posted by RaistlinOrr View Post
    This is the land where we are innocent until proven guilty.

    You're right...you got me...this is the land where we are innocent until proven guilty. BUT....this is an internet forum, for cops, by cops. It's not a courtroom.
    No one has greater love than this, to lay down ones life for ones friends - John 15:13

    "The Wicked Flee When No Man Pursueth: But The Righteous Are Bold As A Lion".

    We lucky few, we band of brothers. For he who today sheds his blood with me shall be my brother.

    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~
    The opinions, beliefs, and ideas expressed in this post are mine, and mine alone. They are NOT the opinions, beliefs, ideas, or policies of my Agency, Police Chief, City Council, or any member of my department.

  18. #18
    deputysykes's Avatar
    deputysykes is offline Corporal
    Verified LEO
    Join Date
    05-16-06
    Location
    Midwest US
    Posts
    934
    Rep Power
    295607
    I think a major factor you will learn with time and experience in law enforcement is discretion. As a law enforcement officer one has Tremendous amounts of power. How each of us choose to use that power is subjective.

    Is it right that I speed in my POV, no and I will not say that it is. And that is why I said I will not write for something I do.

    It is not right for me to knowingly violate the law, I know that. My thoughts for someone interested in starting a career in law enforcement, though is to spend a lot of time with many different officers to see how the officer uses discretion. Not ONE of the officers are perfect. Some officers are more strict and some officers cut more breaks (and some are just slugs).

    The enforcement of all laws are crucial for safety and order of society. How that enforcement is applied is subjective to those of us given that responsibility.
    (my crappy rant is now over)
    I'm not ruining your life, you are, and I'm just going to write a short story about it.

  19. #19
    keith720's Avatar
    keith720 is offline Finely Aged
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    Join Date
    01-06-06
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    5,365
    Rep Power
    5488746
    Quote Originally Posted by Pudge113 View Post
    I don't drive any faster than what I would cut someone a break for given the conditions. If I get a ticket in that situation I suck it up and pay it. Haven't gotten one yet.

    I agree 100%. As far as speed enforcement, the statistics show that there are more people killed in car accidents every year than there are in robberies, rapes, assaults and other homicides combined. Therefore, traffic enforcement is an important function as far as public safety is concerned.
    For the morning will come. Brightly will it shine on the brave and true, kindly upon all who suffer for the cause, glorious upon the tombs of heroes. Thus will shine the dawn.

    Winston Churchill

  20. #20
    Terminator's Avatar
    Terminator is offline BANNED
    Join Date
    12-03-05
    Location
    None of your business
    Posts
    16,064
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by RaistlinOrr
    ...you are making an assumption much like the “I have only had two beers” thing and you are wrong. This is why implying and assuming can be a dangerous thing.
    Quote Originally Posted by RaistlinOrr
    First be honest as a cop do you ever speed in your personal vehical?
    I see where in an earlier post in this thread, you warn against members making assumptions against YOU, yet you make an assumption that we, some of us law enforcement officers, won't be honest with our answers with the above question.

    A tad hippocritical, maybe?

 

 
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •